books/publications

libby87

Earning My Ears
Are there any "must have" publications or books you would recommend for a Disney novice, haven't been there since I was a kid and now am taking my family. I've heard about Birnbaum's but am wondering about any others. Thanks for any help!

Birnbaum's is just fine, it's bright & fun and is neat for the family to get together to do some Disney dreamin'. However, I think it's a little too "fluffy". In other words, I don't think it thoroughly addresses issues that first time Disneyers (crowd shock, weather shock, $$$ shock) may face. For REAL information this board is the BEST source of info. I have just taken my fifteenth trip to WDW and consider myself a well informed Disneyer, but I always find new and helpful info right here.

I've heard some people say they like the "Unofficial Guide" better, although I cannot recommend it because I've never read it.

Good luck, happy planning, have a tiggeriffic trip!!

The two I would recommend are the Unofficial guide by Bob Sehlinger and Passporter. The unofficial guide takes a more sarcastic tone and it is not only funny but also practical. The passporter is a wonderful planner and it has passpockets that you can use to plan your days and keep all your info in. Check out www.passporter.com for more info.

This site is the best source of information, but I also like to have a hard copy book to read as well. I own just about every one on the market! LOL

After reading the Unofficial Guide to WDW, I felt like I was informed and ready to plan my trip with the help of this board. It is a great book and I highly recommend it for the first time wdw goer or if you havn't been in a while.

Supplement the book with lots of info from this board and you will be all set.

Get the basics from the Guide and the details from this site and you will have a great time. We did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

I stopped buying books when I found the DIS! Why buy a book written a year ago when I can get up-to-date info. from someone that was there last week! :D I also check in a lot at wdwig.com, that site is very helpful too.

I second the PassPorter:D
I have them all and the PassPorter out shines them all especially 2002 edition, they also have a nice site to visit too, where you can get advice from others who have been to WDW.
But I do have to say I have received more info from the wonderful people who are willing to share their experiences from these boards Thanks everyone 58 more days to go and still planning, I love it

Brenda

1996 Swan
1997 Off Site (never again)
1999 ASMO
2002 CBR:D :D :D

This board has the BEST information! To supplement for the rest of the family I bought the Birnbaum book for kids. It is a book for kids written by kids. It has lists of 'best pizza', 'best snacks' (and where to get them) It also has kid written descriptions for the rides, they are rated 'dark', 'loud', etc. This book was a big hit for us, as a parent it also gave me some insight on what the kids expected from the trip and what they were looking forward too.
Have fun!

I'm a HUGE fan of Bob Sehlinger's Unofficial Guide to WDW. I think they are invaluable tool to tote with you and to read. They offer reader reviews of all the rides, restaurants(counter and full), hotels, etc. It's really great for deciding if a certain member of your party will like the ride or not or picking the perfect restaurant without hiking to each. The touring guides are the best and are what I cherish the most.

I'm also going to have to agree on the Unofficial guide. I can honestly say that it's the first non-fiction book that I've read cover to cover (while I was lying out in the sun-if you do this, remember to flip yourself-I was so engrossed in the book I forgot to and suffered big time!! ) I also checked out a 'WDW for Dummies' book at the library- I didn't really need it, but it was a big help for my fiancee (I found it really funny that they made a WDW for Dummies). Birnbaum's is a little "fluffy" as one of the posts above said-but it's good for children to look through/read to get them excited about their trip!

The Unofficial guild is great. I bought one for the first time for our 98 trip and I could not believe all the things I missed on our previous visits. I found more attractions and performances that I didn't even know existed. I have just purchased the passporter over the internet but have not received it yet.

I also agree that this board has been the most valuable of all.

I love the Passporter, it is a great book. They also have a great site I visit regularly along with this one. I do have an unofficial guide to Disney too, but an old one, I liked that one too, gave some cons about Disney too. Birnbaums is nice too, but being the official guide to Disney, it is all one sided. I also have a Rita Aeros book, which I like also.:earsgirl:

Thank you so much for all your help! I did purchase the unofficial guide and have been reading it nonstop. I found myself up too late reading, with small children that can make for an interesting morning the next day! Has anyone ever tried one of his "day itineraries" that he scripts out in his book? They seem pretty intense but I was curious if they worked or not. Thanks again for all the great advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter