Borrowing/modifying questions

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
We're hoping to book a 1-bedroom for 6 nights in January at BRV (home resort). For our dates, the price is 184 points.

Our UY is June. We will have 171 points available in 2024. And 200 in 2025.

So basically we need to borrow 13 points to make that reservation. We will do this as soon as the points hit our account.

First question - Our 200 points are from 2 resale purchases...one was 50 and one was 150. When going to borrow the 13, do we pick a specific contract or does it not make a difference? I ask, because there's a small chance we could decide we no longer want the 50 point contract so in that case, I'd prefer to borrow from the 150 and leave the 50 alone, just in case.

Second question - We are open to switching to a different resort at the 7-month mark if anything is available. So I looked at the resorts/rooms we'd want to try. Some cost LESS than the 184 we would have booked. For example, a Poly studio is only 105-134. If something is available that costs less...when modifying, is there a way to make sure the borrowed points are used first since we wouldn't be able to bank them back into 2025? This will be our only WDW trip in the 2024 use year and I'd hate for those 13 previously borrowed points to disappear.

Hopefully that makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

Yes, when making your reservation you will be able to choose which contract you want to borrow points from.

If you change your reservation to something needing fewer points the system will automatically use the most distressed points first (points in holding and borrowed points). So in your case the borrowed points would get used first. Hope this helps!

I thought I read here on this board that it would be better to strip your 50-point contract first before selling? The size of the contract would sell regardless of whether it’s stripped or not.

I wanted to make two comments. First you can make a reservation for a January stay now, you do not have to wait until June. Second. You won’t be able to close on the sell of your 50 point contract until your January trip is completed. Hope this information helps.

I can't make my January BRV reservation now because my contract is still in the ROFR phase. But I will be making it as soon as the points hit my account. Then at the 7 month mark, I'll probably see if any of our top tier choices are available. We definitely won't be selling before January, if we decide to sell it. So no worries there.

We have two VDH contracts. The nice part about the borrowing, both contracts appear with a box next to each to enter the points to use for the borrow. If going to use both contracts for a booking, can check the order of using the contracts for pulling points. (Banked & borrowed used first from each contract, same will happen if modify your reservation later. Current UY returned points can then be banked if still in the banking window).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter