Borrowing points…and then buying more

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
If we book our next vacation borrowing some points for our 2024 points, and then buy more points will DVC let us bank the points we just bought or put back the ones we borrowed? Our booking window is going to open before we get the cash in our account for the points.

So they would take from our borrowed points for the trip first, correct?

The DVC guide we talked to said they would rent out points back from us for the 2023 year if we couldn’t use them.

I *think* if you are making a DIRECT purchase of points ( not one time use) and you are past your banking window they can make an exception and let you bank them. I am 95% sure I did this a couple of years ago. I do not think there is any way to unborrow..

Ah, you mean buy more normal points. I misread and thought you meant one time use points. New purchased points will have all the rules of those points - assuming they are in their banking window, they can be banked, and while I have no experience with this, I think even if they past the banking window, you could probably get a one-time exception as previous poster mentioned.

So, what will happen here is yes, your borrowed point will not be able to go back, but your new points can be banked as they won't be used for the trip.

DVD will allow you to unborrow points when purchasing direct points. If you add via resale it doesn’t seem that exception is given.

This happened last year when I bought more VGF direct. They put back the Dec UY points I had borrowed when I got the new points.

Last edited:
There are things out of the ordinary that DVD can and often will do if it is part of selling you more direct points from DVD. If they sell you a new contract with a use year month that begins more than 8 months before the sale is completed, DVD will usually still allow you to bank the points. If instead, you have a reservation with borrowed points and you would prefer using the new points and un-borrow the older ones, DVD may also do that. The key is for you, before the sale is completed, to ask DVD if it will do something like that if you make the purchase.

Last edited:

DVD will allow you to unborrow points when purchasing direct points. If you add via resale it doesn’t seem that exception is given.

This happened last year when I bought more VGF direct. They put back the Dec UY points I had borrowed when I got the new points.
Did you work that out with then on the front end before purchasing? Asking curious if they'd be more difficult about returning the same borrowed points but not asking until new after new contract is signed.

Did you work that out with then on the front end before purchasing? Asking curious if they'd be more difficult about returning the same borrowed points but not asking until new after new contract is signed.

No because the e home resort rules and regulations document mentioned this is allowed..and it’s happened before when o added on.

Let me see if I can find the clause!

1680373714019.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter