Brands of ECV-Recommendations, Please

ugadog99

<font color=blue>Has been waiting patiently for a
My elderly aunt who has a multitude of health issues has finally decided that she needs an ECV. We are just in the beginning stages of finding the one that will best meet her needs. Does anyone have any recommendations of any particular brand over any other? I'm open to any and all advice/suggestions. Thanks!

Hi ugadog,

I did a lot of research before I bought mine last June. I would recommended you do several things. First, do some research on line. Google search for "mobility scooters" and you will come up with several websites. Look, compare and try to get a handle on the size you need and the cost. I needed a heavy duty one due to my weight. If she is under 300 lbs. or so she should be fine with a standard. If she is very light and doesn't need it for a lot of traveling about like at WDW or isn't on the go a lot, she could possibly do with a very portable and lightweight one.

The lightweight, portables have much lower battery capacity and hence will go much shorter distances without a charge. I have one that can go up to 30 miles without charging and can go outdoors and on some inclines. There is an even sturdier level that can go on gravel and dirt paths and in rugged terrain. Way overboard for me.

I wanted to buy the Pride brand but it was $800.00 more than my Pacesaver/Leisure Lift brand that I bought and mine rated well in the only place I could find ratings. I have no complaints about my scooter other than I wish I had a minivan and lift. That will come in the future for me.

There are 3 wheel scooters and 4 wheel. I have a 3 wheel as it turns more easily and gives my feet more room. My knees cause me a lot of pain and I need to reposition them often. The 4 wheel scooter has wheel wells in the front that block your feet a bit. I find when I use the ones at the stores that are 4 wheeled, I have a lot more pain afterwards.

I would suggest you take her to a couple stores to practice. Go in the evening after about 7pm when it is quieter and she won't be pushed around as much. Some malls, libraries and other places have scooters you can borrow.

Now, if you want to try scooters in person, medical supply stores often carry a couple brands. Look in your yellow pages under medical equipment or wheelchairs. Call ahead and ask them. Go in and let them know you are on a research visit but will possibly consider buying from them and they should treat you well and give you prices. I bought mine for a lot less on line and it came quickly and I was pleased with Scooterlink.

I hope this helps. Really, the hardest decision was choosing the color for me as I have wanted one for so long. I got the blue. :banana:

To add to the good advice you already got:

Another important thing to consider is service.
If you are buying one of the major brand ones, you should be able to find someone in your area that services that brand. If you choose an unusual brand for your area, someone would still be able to repair it, but they might not be an 'authorized service provider' and it may take longer to get parts.

You should be able to check on the company website fro authorized dealers in your area.

A last thing to think about is how it is going to be transported. If it's going to be taken apart and put into a trunk, how small/heavy of pieces does it break down into? How easy is it to take apart and put back together?

Not too long ago, someone had posted that her elderly relative went to buy a scooter and got talked into a power wheelchair instead of a scooter by the salesperson. This should not happen, but it does - power wheelchairs are more expensive and the company gets more of a 'cut'. The salesperson was able to talk her into it partially by promising that her Medicare would pay most of the cost of a power wheelchair. Because of unscupulous practices like this, the rules for Medicare and power wheelchairs were changed in October, making more 'hoops' for people who need them to go thru.
In this case, it got delivered to her house and brought into her living room by the dealer. She was not able to get it out of the house because she had no ramp and it was too heavy to lift. Even if she could have gotten it out, you do pretty much need a van with a lift or a ramp to transport a power wheelchair. So, instead of allowing her independence, she had an expensive iteme sitting in her living room that she could not use unless she spent more more money for 'accessories'.

Good points, Sue.

I have a Toyota Camry and chose my scooter as it does fit in the trunk. The heaviest piece is 45 pounds and I find I am having a hard time lifting it out. So..I don't go anywhere without a family member to help me. I have looked into having a lift installed in my trunk but my dream is to get a new van and use the $1000. allotment many manufacturers give to have a lift installed in the back. That way I can do it myself. I also just want a new car too. :confused3 ;)

If your elderly aunt wants to move about her neighborhood, she will find it easy on a scooter but be aware many sidewalks and driveways are slanted a bit and it is kinda scarey until you get used to leaning the opposite way, just like on a bike or motorcycle. She may need a ramp for her home entryways. There are a lot of little things to consider with scooters and wheelchairs. I hope you will come to the boards again for any further questions. ;)

Thank you so much for your advice. I'll talk with her about all of this. Because of her Crohn's, she has lost so much weight. We won't need a heavy duty scooter, that's for sure. I had already warned my dad about the power wheelchair and to not get talked into that. I appreciate your help. I knew I could count on the DIS-again.

Thanks!
Melanie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter