"Breakthrough" (post-vaccination) COVID cases showing up in Florida, news says

95% isn't 100%. There will be cases of Covid for those vaccinated.

The flu vaccine doesn't guarantee you won't get the flu too.

On the plus side, as you said, those vaccinated should experience much milder symptoms if they contract Covid.

It is so weird to me that this is being announced every time it happens. We didn't create a Covid proof force field. The virus is still running rampant in many communities. Vaccinated people still need to be careful until WAY more people are vaccinated.

Well this isn't quite true, a vaccine isn't a force field. A vaccine is a heads up, sort of a wanted poster so our very elegant immune systems are fully armed in advance. Immunity doesn't mean the pathogen won't get in - we breathe therefore it can come in through the air we breathe (hence masks are a useful thing & washing hands & keeping distant etc). There are very natural variations in our individual bodies which explain things like why one person gets hay fever or itchy dusting and another person doesn't. This also explains why some people have autoimmune disease and others don't. Our bodies mistake the things we are allergic to for a threat so allergies are immune responses to non threats - autoimmune disease is the same sort of idea but our bodies react to things in our own cells. For the vast majority of people the vaccines do what they are supposed to do but there will always be outliers, which is why it is so vitally important to keep pushing for effective treatments. Nothing on earth is 100%, well except the statement that nothing is 100%.

Last edited:
It is so weird to me that this is being announced every time it happens. We didn't create a Covid proof force field. The virus is still running rampant in many communities. Vaccinated people still need to be careful until WAY more people are vaccinated.

I think it's important to announce it. Despite never saying the vaccines were 100% (94% is not 100%) people believe that once they are vaccinated they are immune. You can see it happening, literally, before your eyes. Not to mention variants which probalby reduce effectiveness down 10-20%. But I'll take it.

What I've found out, not that it's a shock, is that people believe what they want and research nothing. The vaccines are new and these "breakthrough infections" are really kind of new/fascinating medical data, I think it is newsworthy. Of course, some might call it the old "fear mongering."

I think it's important to announce it. Despite never saying the vaccines were 100% (94% is not 100%) people believe that once they are vaccinated they are immune. You can see it happening, literally, before your eyes. Not to mention variants which probalby reduce effectiveness down 10-20%. But I'll take it.

What I've found out, not that it's a shock, is that people believe what they want and research nothing. The vaccines are new and these "breakthrough infections" are really kind of new/fascinating medical data, I think it is newsworthy. Of course, some might call it the old "fear mongering."

I agree. It's not fear-mongering, it's just proof that we need to keep the dang masks on and keeping dining outside for a while yet. Just more of the same. Not fun, but after a year, it ain't remotely scary.

This is going to keep happening. And then we'll get the same excuse we get for the flu vaccine: why should I get it if I can still catch it?
If people genuinely deeply don't understand that there are degrees of awful and that
a positive test = sniffle and headache
vs
a positive test = death $100,000 hospital bills, lost job and maybe death
there are no words that can help them.

I agree, it's what was predicted.....that some vaccinated people will still contract covid. The studies have also shown that the vaccine has prevented hospitalization and death if you do contract it. However, that is bound to happen eventually, hopefully in very, very small numbers.

I wouldn't say it's a concern that these cases are being reported, but it is possible that some will just see the headline and determine that there's no point in getting the vaccine because you can still get Covid. But....if we've learned anything through this whole experience, there are just certain people that can't be helped or don't want to be helped...or just want to be difficult just for the sake of being difficult.

If people genuinely deeply don't understand that there are degrees of awful and that
a positive test = sniffle and headache
vs
a positive test = death $100,000 hospital bills, lost job and maybe death
there are no words that can help them.
The bolded is not automatically true. Making statements that it is IS "fear mongering".

To bring the seatbelt analogy back, you wouldn't say "Driving in a car = death, $1000,000 hospital bills, lost job", but it could happen there also.

The bolded is not automatically true. Making statements that it is IS "fear mongering".

To bring the seatbelt analogy back, you wouldn't say "Driving in a car = death, $1000,000 hospital bills, lost job", but it could happen there also.
I mentioned degrees so there are lots of shades, again having an inability to recognize "degrees" of things is a problem that makes life tough to navigate.
It is not at all fear mongering to point out that being unable to recognize degrees of a thing is an issue.
If a living being can't tell the difference as water in a pot goes from cold to boiling then life will be problematic for that being.

Data says that SARS-CoV-2 has caused a large amount of significant suffering and death, indisputable by death certificates and hospital records.
Data also says that vaccines will lead to less severe disease, even if a person is positive, indisputable by records such as record of immunization and positive but no hospital or positive but no death.
This is recognition of degrees of a thing.

Last edited:
I mentioned degrees so there are lots of shades, again having an inability to recognize "degrees" of things is a problem that makes life tough to navigate.
It is not at all fear mongering to point out that being unable to recognize degrees of a thing is an issue.
If a thing can't tell the difference as water in a pot goes from cold to boiling then life will be problematic for that being.
Did you miss the first part of the post that mentioned degrees of awful including sniffles and a headache?
I read it that the "sniffles and headache" were the "flu" and "death, $100K, job loss" was "covid".

That's true enough, and yes, argument is always weakened by using too broad a brush, but what if we amend, to something like ...
Wrapping your car around a tree @ 30mph while wearing a seatbelt = $5K in damages and some nasty bruises.
vs.
Wrapping your car around a tree @ 30mph not wearing a seatbelt = $5K in damages + a $40K hospital bill, if you are lucky enough to not die.

That's a much tighter analogy, and it holds in this situation.
We still have restricted vaccine access here for a couple more weeks. Our local task force head did a news conference yesterday in which he went over the local statistics of the hospitalized population compared to those of the vaccinated population. He noted that the overall number of hospitalized cases was way down, and that the percentage of hospitalized patients over age 60 had dropped dramatically, but that the percentage of hospitalized patients under age 50 had suddenly *increased* dramatically. The drop in older patients relative to the overall number was explained by vaccination rates in that cohort, but there was only one thing that could explain the sudden increased percentage among younger patients whilst the total number was still dropping: relaxed caution.

I happened to drive the same route in mid-afternoon on 2 nice days 3 weeks apart recently; the last time this past Sunday. I passed a somewhat hipster brewhouse restaurant with a lot of outdoor seating that is visible from the street; an area of about 100 seats. The first day that I passed by, 3 weeks ago, the majority of the people seated outside enjoying sunshine (mostly a young and kind of fashionable crowd; fit-looking bunch) were wearing masks. When I passed again 3 weeks later, there was a not a single mask in sight. Unless there has been some kind of hipster tour to get vaccines in another state, most of those folks could not yet have been vaccinated, yet there they were, same seating as before, but no masks. IT. IS. TOO. SOON. FOR. THAT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter