Brief Synopsis of Add-ons, please

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
Can someone tell me the rules, minimum to purchase, minimum to finance, any problems with Use Year co-ordinating to original contract Use Year. Anything else to keep in mind with the current offerings?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

RweThere, the minimum # of points you can buy in an add-on is 25 when paying cash, 50 points when financing. Disney does make the use years the same, assuming they still have inventory of points for your particular use year. Hope this helps!

Wondering if anyone here has bought 25 point add-ons at other than home resort and was sorry? Just wondering how far 25 points would go?

I read in the Member's Guide that add-ins at another resort allow you to make reservations 11 months ahead at the new resort only if you have enough points at the added on resort to cover the full reservation. I interpret this to mean that if I purchased a resale add on of 100 points at Boardwalk Villas, I could only book a reservation at the 11 month time for 100 points (or 200 if borrowing next years points) even though I may have 300 points from my original contract (HH).

This means that you need to add a suffient amount of points to cover your full reservation to take advantage of the early booking priveledge of your home resort.

Am I correct in my interpretation?

Ken

The 11 month reservation priority applies only to the points owned at that resort.

With some creative planning, even 25 points can be a worthwhile add-on at a different resort. If you bank and borrow, you could have 75 points to use every 3 years at the add-on resort. That would easily provide a nice stay in a Studio at most DVC resorts.

Add-ons do NOT need to be purchased in blocks of 25- that is just the minimum. You can figure how you will likely use the points and purchase any number of points over 25.

Wondering if anyone here has bought 25 point add-ons at other than home resort and was sorry? Just wondering how far 25 points would go?

When OKW sold out, and I wanted more WDW Points, the only option I had was BoardWalk, but I only wanted 25 more points. My Rep informed me, at that time, that I would have to purchase 50 points at one of the non-home resorts....I was bummed, and complained, it just wasn't fair....I had the money, I wanted the points, but OKW was sold out, so as a member I felt I was being penalized. Anyhow, within 24 hours he had solved the issue, and they changed the rules that we could buy a 25 points add on at any DVC resort....so, I got my 25 points at BW. I never regretted that buy. And have since added on 50 more points, making it 75 points there.

When you buy a resort that is not your home resort, there are many options you have with those points. You could use them at the new resort, or wait till your 7 month window and use those 25 points to book the weekend, since weekend nights tend to book up slower than those cheap weekday nights. It's worked well for me. I book the Sunday through Thursday nights at 11 months out, and have had no problem finishing the reservation at the 7 month window.

Good luck on your add-on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter