Brit's Guide 2004 - Up-date (01/12/04)!

SimonV

Proud to have called Bob Varley 'friend'
OK folks, here we go with the latest up-dates and new info for the 2004 edition of the Brit's Guide. As ever, there are things that just beat our deadline or which happen after publication, and I will attempt here to keep you fully in the picture.

The first change happened almost as soon as we went to press, with news that Universal Orlando's Wild, Wild, Wild West Stunt Show has closed and there is, as yet, no news of any replacement here for this long-running but rather hokey attraction.

Then, in WDW, we had confirmation of a number of new additions destined for the parks in the next couple of years. First up was the Magic Kingdom, where it was announced the Alien Encounter was closing to make way for a new-themed attraction here, Stitch's Great Escape. The basic premise of going in to a teleportation demonstration-of-the-future will remain the same, but the whole show will be changed to make Stitch the star attraction, with things (inevitably) going wrong as he is paraded for the audience. A raft of state-of-the-art audio-animatronics are promised, along with a more fun and distinctly less frightening storyline. It is due to (re-)open in summer 2004.

In Disney-MGM Studios, the expected arrival of the new Motor Stunt Show has been confirmed, with the Moteurs...Action! attraction from Disneyland Paris being re-created in the Backlot area of the Studios (and with the subsequent cancellation of the Obsborne Lights spectacular for Christmas 2003). This will add a guaranteed dynamic new edge to the park's offerings in early 2005. The DLP show is one of the real highlights there and a tour de force for live stunt show drama.

For Epcot, rumours of a major new ride were also confirmed in the late autumn when Soarin' Over California was announced as the latest attraction for The Land pavilion (actually, it will fit in between The Land and Imagination). This is another 'clone' ride, with this innovative and rather thrilling ride from Disney's California Adventure being imported from the West Coast. It is a simulator 'hang-glider ride' over the sights of the Golden State, and will definitely add a new element to Epcot (where a lot of changes are rumoured to be in the pipeline, including a total makeover for Future World - but no more firm details yet). Opening date is again 2005, and the configuration of the construction for the ride means the Food Rocks show in The Land has been closed to make way for the entrance to Soarin'.

Finally, down in Old Town, thrill ride seekers will want to check out the new G-Force drag racer ride, which blasts you from 0-120mph in just TWO SECONDS! :earseek: The set-up is a twin race-car track over 600ft, and the whole thing lasts barely 10 seconds (but with plenty of build-up, smoke, cheering, lights, etc) in the dual custom-made Mustangs. You can be either a driver or passenger - but it is not cheap. Tickets are $27 (to drive) or $10 (just to ride). It looks pretty cool, though :teeth:

NB: Outline details of all the above have been added to a second re-print of the book, so there is added value here :teeth:

(Up-date 10/12/03)

From January 5, the Wonders of Life pavilion at Epcot will be open at peak periods only, meaning the likes of Body Wars and Cranium Command will not be available off season, which seems a pretty retrograde step to me. The Plain But Simple food court and the retail outlets here will also be closed. Shame.

Sadly, one of my favourite offbeat Orlando attractions, Splendid China has closed as of December 31. It seems the Chinese government has finally run out of patience and money with this well-meaning loss-maker and, for all the fact it was a wonderful alternative to the parks, it never really attracted the crowds. Another buyer remains a possibility but it is too early to say at the moment. There is better news, however, of Cypress Gardens, which closed last spring. The state purchase of the park has been approved, and it has been passed on for management to another Florida park operator, who plans to rebuild it around the gardens, Southern Belles and waterski shows, but add some rides (of the rollercoaster variety!) as well). There is no date for all this to happen yet, but it seems the gardens themselves could re-open quite soon.

Sadly, the inevitable New Year ticket price rise has already kicked in. In fact, SeaWorld didn't even wait until the New Year, announcing a $2 rise on single day admission on December 31. The others are sure to follow suit soon, as predicted here on the Boards last month.

It's amazing what you can pick up from just a few days in my favourite place - here are some more up-dates!

Golf fans will want to make a beeline for the new Shingle Creek course just off Universal Boulevard behind the new Convention Center on I-Drive. Not only is it a stunner of a course, at 7,213 yards, it features an amazing clubhouse, top-class restaurant and all carts are fully equipped with the GPS yardage system. Rates can also be as low as $69 for a round here. Look up www.shinglecreekgolf.com for more info.

One urgent change to the Accommodation chapter - the two Summerfield Suites properties (one in the heart of I-Drive, the other at Lake Buena Vista) have been changed to Staybridge Suites by Holiday Inn. The basic idea seems to be the same, and they remain good quality suites hotels in great locations.

Also, the Courtyard by Marriott at Downtown Disney is now the Holiday Inn at DD, but all the facilities and features there remain unchanged (for now!) otherwise.

There are a whole slew of new, budget-priced hotels on American Way, right behind the Sheraton Studio City on I-Drive (just across from Wet 'n Wild). These could be especially good news for those looking to save money but stay in a good location. They are all basic, 2--star chain groups, but they all look a cut above the usual standard. Take your pick from the Hilton Garden Inn (the best of the bunch), Motel 6, a Travelodge International and a Super 8 Motel. Rates start from just $34 a night in low season and, while the Red Horse Inn next to the Sheraton is still the pick of the budget bunch hereabouts, there is now plenty of choice.

And talking of the Sheraton Studio City, my latest stay here confirms this as one of the smartest - and most fun - properties on I-Drive. Excellent service, a surprisingly good restaurant - the Starlight Grille - and some lovely extra amenities on their concierge level (not to mention the magnificent views over Universal), make this outstanding value for money, IMHO. The film theming is also a lot of fun and is carried off very well. Check out more detail on www.sheratonstudiocity.com

The Sheraton is a member of the Kessler Collection of hotels (formerly known as the Grand Theme Hotels group) and an interesting snippet of news about their flagship property, the Westin Grand Bohemian downtown, shows it has been voted the best Westin in the world (covering some 123 hotels literally worldwide) on all their guest satisfaction ratings (which is the real measure of a hotel). I have long thought the Grand Bohemian is a real jewel in Orlando's crown for accommodations, and it seems I'm not the only one! For anyone venturing downtown, the hotel is on the corner of Orange Avenue and Jackson Street and is a great place to go just for a drink, in their slinky Bosendorfer Lounge, or an upscale meal, in the Boheme Restaurant (try their pistachio-crusted rack of lamb - yum!!). The hotel is also full of some wonderful artwork and antiques, making it almost like a gallery or museum, and they are quite happy for you to wander around and check it out. Look up more info on www.grandbohemianhotel.com.

Talking of good choices, I also had lunch at the Wyndham Palace and Spa's Watercress Cafe at Downtown Disney for the first time, and this was a real discovery. The hotel's top-drawer top-floor restaurant Arthur's 27 is already well documented (one of the best views anywhere in Florida), but the Watercress is an easily-overlooked option for lunch or dinner (especially as it is hard to find on the lower level!). Not only was the menu and service truly excellent, the beautiful lake vista through the huge picture windows was a real treat on a sunny (but cool) day. Mark this out for a little holiday r 'n r when you need a break from the usual theme park frenzy. There is also an excellent character buffet breakfast here, open to non-residents. From 6am-11.30am (characters from 8-11am), it costs $22.95 for adults and $12.95 for children (under 12).

Finally, there is a new restaurant on I-Drive, next to Friday's Front Row where Italianni's used to be. Aussie's Steakhouse is in the same restaurant family as Cattleman's Steakhouse and Corleon's Italian diner, and offers an alternative to the Outback Steakhouse chain for a smart-but-casual dining experience with a difference (although the Outback at the Wyndham Palace is still far and away the best of its type that I've seen).

The inevitable Disney ticket price rise has now kicked in. As of Sunday, March 28, 2004, all WDW prices are:

At the Gate - One-Day, One-Park Ticket (ages 10 and older): was $52 (with tax $55.38), now $54.75 (with tax $58.31);
Ages 3-9: was $42 (with tax $44.73), now $43.75 (with tax $46.60). Four-Day Park Hopper (ages 10 and older): was $208 (with tax $221.52), now $219 (with tax $233.24); Ages 3-9: was $167 (with tax $177.86), now $176 (with tax $187.44). Five-Day Park Hopper Plus (ages 10 and older): was $269 (with tax $286.50), now $282 (with tax $300.34). Ages 3-9: was $216 (with tax $230.04), now $226 (with tax $240.70).

Two new (ish) resorts worth looking out for are the Summer Bay Resort (just off west Highway 192, about 15 mins from Disney) and the Reunion Resort (about 5mins south of the Disney turn-off on I4). The former consists of a mixture of 2 hotels (the budget-priced Inn at Summer Bay and a rather smart Holiday Inn Express - only 2 years old, but looks newer), villas and condos, with a superb children's water-play area, 4 pools, a clubhouse, fitness room, gift shop, sand volleyball court and fishing lake. Even if you are staying at the Inn, you get the use of all the facilities (although you have to take your life in your hands crossing Highway 192!), but the villas (2-bedroom) and condos (1, 2 and 3-bed) are the jewels in the crown here. Everything still looks in pristine condition and the furnishings are excellent. The villas are my slight preference over the condos (they just seem a bit more 'homely') but the prices here (from $155 for a 2-bed villa) mark them out as exceptional value for money. They do have a free shuttle to Disney, and a paid-for service to the other parks. It's fairly quiet at this end of the 192 but not too far from the action. Check out more on www.summerbayresort.com

The Reunion Resort is on a different scale completely, albeit much of it is still under construction (including 1 of the 3 golf courses and many of the planned 8,000 accommodation units), but it is spread out over 2300 stunningly landscaped acres and will ultimately be a small 'town' in its own right in the course of the next few years, with hotels, a town centre, water park, riding stables, tennis courts and more. They will offer a mix of villas and condos, from 1-bed units up to grand, 7-bedroom mansions, most with a view of the golf courses. The whole thing is quite stunning, and the rates this year (really a 'sampler' to get people hooked on buying into it in a biggher way) are as low as $159 for a one-bed condo, where the furnishings (including fully-fitted kitchen, sunken bath, lounge, dining area, 2 large TVs and a balcony) are simply superb. Look up more detail on www.reunionresort.com and marvel at this unique central Florida offering.

(Up-date 05-05-04)

Just back from the latest fact-finding mission and a first look at a new water-show at SeaWorld called Fusion, at the old Atlantis Bayside Stadium (which had been empty since construction on the Waterfront area started and cut down drastically on this area of the lake). It is a high-energy frolic featuring jet-skis, water-skiing, kites, dancers and a frisbee-catching dog (!), plus some fun pre-show games for the kids. It has a fast-paced, colourful teen vibe but is guaranteed fun for all the family. A great addition. Also caught the Odyysea show that replaced Cirque de la Mer in the Nautilus Theatre and this is another must-see, especially with the highly amusing 10-minute pre-show. Great for all the family, too. There will also be other new elements here in the summer: Mistify will be their new special-effect laden firework show every night from early July (but high-season only); Pearl Divers will be an additional show in a new area of the Waterfront (currently behind boards); and the Spice Mill will be a new counter-service restaurant, with the promise of 'spicy' food in an exciting setting; finally, the Sea Lion/Walrus show of Clyde and Seamore will have a special night-time show that dovetails with the evening Shamu Rocks America. However, there have been some other changes in the Waterfront area too - the Rico and Roza's Musical Feast show is no more (not at all surprisingly), and the street entertainment of Kat 'n Caboodle and the Longshoremen has gone too. Instead, there is a character breakfast at the Seafire Inn with a cuddly Shamu and several other unidentified SW 'characters.' (Not sure about this - looks a bit 'thin' by comparison with Disney's character offerings).

Of course, across the way at Discovery Cove, they have just announced a special summer evening programme. The Twilight Discovery will be basically a tropical party with dolphins (and coral reef swim), where just 100 guests an evening will be admitted for an upscale and very personal experience in the park (and still at $249 a head). The evening will consist of:

Shallow-water dolphin interaction
Coral Reef snorkeling
Access to the Resort Pool
Complimentary valet parking
Festive welcome reception with plentiful hors d'oeuvres and drinks
Elaborate dining experience with tropical drinks and live Caribbean-style music
Decadent desserts on the beach
All snorkeling and beach gear, towels, lockers
5x7 photo
Seven-consecutive-day pass to either SeaWorld Orlando or Busch Gardens Tampa Bay

For those wishing to experience all of the evening activities except for the shallow-water dolphin interaction, cost is $149 plus tax per person.

It is basically a trial period for Discovery Cove from June 17 to September 3 after the normal day's events have finished, and they will wait to see how well (or otherwise) it works before deciding whether to offer it again next year.

A return trip to Silver Springs on a Sunday re-confirmed my opinion that, in the continued absence of Cypress Gardens, this really is the place to come to re-charge your batteries and enjoy a wonderful change of pace from the usual hectic theme park swirl. The naturalistic aspect and gentle nature of most of the attractions is a real and welcome contrast with elsewhere, and it is an easy 90-minute drive up the Florida Turnpike and I75 to Ocala. They are in the process of creating a new boat ride attraction, with the Fort King River Cruise g the old Jungle Cruise. It covers the same territory, but, instead of the exotic animals which used to be here (which the park has had to part with), there is now a mock historical scenario of Fort King, native American camps and Pioneer settlements. It will provide a neat narrative of the history of central Florida and the boat captains they employ here are really excellent story-tellers. Opening later this summer will be the Lighthouse Ride - a massive tower structure which lifts people gently in the air for a superb view of the area.

Equally, the Hard Rock Hotel continues to be the epitome of hotel cool, with its omnipresent rock motif, excellent staff and the wonderful pool area (great water slide!). The Kitchen restaurant is also well worth visiting, and it's a surprsingly short walk to CityWalk from here, too. A useful place to retreat to if CityWalk is buzzing (which is often the case these days).

Other thoughts - Dixie Stampede is still the best-value dinner show in town, especially with the superb pre-show. Don't miss it (very funny - unless you are one of the two 'victims' from the audience!). Sleuth's gives it a good run for money, though; completely different style and scope, but a lot of fun and it really keeps you guessing.

Oh, and the new Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Studios is going to be absolutely sensational :teeth:

More soon!

Oh, and could I also ask one favour of all regular readers - if you get the chance, could you post a review of the book on either the Amazon.co.uk or whsmith.com websites? This helps enormously with our marketing and also with spreading the Brit's Guide message. The direct links are:

Amazon

Smith's

Many thanks in advance,

Simon

Thanks, Simon. Soarin' Over California will definitely be on my 'to do' list. The G-Force Drag Race will be a doddle after riding as a passenger with dh! :eek: Vin Diesel eat your heart out!

Hi Simon,

I have just ordered your book via Amazon and I am SURE it will be invaluable and brilliant. I will try to write a review if I get the chance. Thanks for promoting it. It seems a good price too.

2BoysMum&Dad

My copy of your book, Simon, has just arrived in the post this morning. Nobody in my household will be able to get through to me now until I have read it cover to cover. Virtually everything in the book seems relevant to what we are doing as we are hiring a car, staying on site and visiting other places outside Disney in Orlando. Looks like a great book and I will give you a full update of what I think of it and how useful it was after our holiday.

2BoysMum&Dad
:hyper: :hyper: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

Simon, I bought the book yesterday and haven't been able to put it down since. What a fantastic source of information.

My husband and I are first-timers, going to Orlando for our honeymoon and I am even more excited now after reading the book. I can't wait :bounce:

Simon,

In your book you have omited references to Sizzlers apart from saying that their absence is due to some adverse comments.

Is it Sizzlers in general, or a specific location.

Rannoch

Simon,

I have had your book for about a month now and it already looks a couple of years old with the whole family reading it at every opportunity. We are going for the first time this August for 3 weeks and cannot wait!! :wave2:

Have already lent it to another Brit going out this year and they have gone off to buy a copy of their own now to take with them. Thanks for all the great info and tips.

Xs.

Hiya:wave2:

We bought the book in November last year and I look at it everyday for something or other. When we showed it to DH's parents who we are going to WDW with they went out and bought one, they then lent theirs to a friend in work and asked them to get him one too. Its got so much info on everything you need to know and it doesn't make September feel so long away:Pinkbounc :hyper:

Also put a review on Amazon under Bigdaddy 27 i did it in my husbands name as its his account:cool1:

Hi Simon
Visited Orlando in 2002 and took your 2002 edition with us. We found it so useful.
When we booked in November for this year we went out and bought the 2004 edition which is looking really tatty because we have all read it cover to cover.
Keep up the good work
Mandy

Hi Simon

Please could you tell me roughly when the 2005 edition will be available? I'm resisting the temptation to buy the 2004 book as we don't go until 2005. Also, could you arrange for a boring dust cover to be put on your book, entitled something like 'The Life and Times of a Hat Stand!' The reason being, everytime I order a WDW related book and DH gets to it first and I don't get a chance to read it for ages. And to make it worse, he then reads bits of it out loud to me! If it just looked like a boring book then he wouldn't touch it and I could be 'the keeper of all knowledge'!

Another fantastic edition Simon, I keep mine by my bed and use it as a keep fit tool. Umpteen times a day I think to myself ,,, must look up so and so, and have to run upstairs to refer to your book! Im now down to a size 8!!

So Mr Atkins ... eat your heart out ... Im on the Veness diet!!:hyper:

Paula
::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo

Hi Paula, that is the most novel (groan!) claim for the book I've heard so far - dieting aid indeed!

Duggas - Kaylee is right; it's usually ready by mid-November. I'm afraid I can't help with the title change :rolleyes:

Thanks, shellbell!

Rannoch - it was Sizzlers in general. I think they may be past their sell-by date as a chain but, as always, I monitor these things on a regular basis.

I agree with Simon about Sizzlers.

When i went in October 1999, it was quite nice and rather similar to ponderosa. However, i went back last October and myself and my gf went to sizzlers and it was rather dissapointing! It has definatly gone downhill. Ponderosa remains our faveourite choice for a good breakfast to last us through the day!

Chris

i really have to buy the new edition of your orlando guide as well as the one on disneyland paris...
i bought the earlier orlando one from amazon.UK and it was EXCELLENT!!.....naturally we have quite a few WDW guidebooks, but i especially enjoyed yours.....the tongue in cheek view of my fellow americans was more than a bit amusing....(i loved the intro to the section on food)...

besides the amusing style, there was much useful information, even for someone who's been going to WDW every year for 31 years....we did several of the non-WDW activities suggested (that we never knew about before reading them in your guide)...

are you planning a tokyo disneyland/disney seas guide?...

Not at the moment, disneyholic, but we may look at the new Hong Kong development before long......It depends where they speak the most English - my Japanese is non-existent and my Mandarin is slightly less than that!

well after being caught at the gate of DLP (when the park opened up an hour later than advertised) about 5 years ago with a very large group of extremely irate brits who were faced with a guard who spoke not one word of english (for whom i translated with my long forgotten french), i wouldn't think there's all that much english at DLP either......i had meant to read your guide on the parisian mouse as soon as it came out, more for your view on....well...anyway....i never got around to it....as soon as we get back from this trip, i'll get it from amazon.UK.....

as for DLtokyo, when i was there (20 years ago to the day, when i was 7 months pregnant with my daughter), though they didn't speak a word of english it didn't matter....it was almost a perfect copy of the Magic Kingdom, so we didn't need the English to understand every word of the jungle cruise, tiki tiki birds and everything else....the most interesting part of the visit was watching the japanese reactions....

if you do a book on HK, it would be nice to at least have a short section on tokyo and china......i guess i won't be able to wait for it however....i think we'll pop over there in december this year...we were supposed to go the winter before last, but the SARS outbreak scared us away....

hong kong used to be one of my favorite places on earth, but i haven't been back since the changing of the guard (though DH has many times)....i've heard mixed reviews from him and others as to how it is these days....it will be interesting to see how they handle the mouse.....
in general i adore the far east, each and every country, having spent a great deal of time there when i was growing up....i always preferred it to europe (no offense...:D ) .....we considered being based there way back when, but instead opted for our current posting....not at all sorry with that decision, but it would have been interesting to raise the kids in the east somewhere.....

but getting back to the guides, i look forward to reading the one on DLP, even though we're not planning a return trip to france in the near or distant future.... by the way, when we were at DLP, we were very unimpressed by their ability to manage lines.....we noticed a great deal of line jumping....something that really doesn't happen much (if at all) at WDW.....

and the incident at the gate was something that i'm quite sure would never ever happen at WDW.......opening at an hour later than advertised on all the signs at the onsite hotel....having only one person stationed at the gate....and that one person being a french-only speaker, when all the guests were quite obviously english-only speakers.......there was a great deal of ill-will generated in that short hour......and in a group who were clearly repeat visiters to DLP.....

Hi there Beth. I think your DLP experiences are something which has, by and large, been eradicated by management in recent years. I have never had a problem with queue management there (although the crowds for autographs around characters are another story!). It will certainly be interesting to see how they do HK though, especially as I haven't been out that way at all (my brother thinks things have improved a bit since the changeover). The big question is, will they gear it towards western visitors (i.e. in English first) or will it be Chinese first and foremost? No-one seems to know at the moment, least of all Disney!

Simon,

Just back from our annual summer visit to the states (2 weeks WDW, 2 weeks detroit, no time in NYC :( )
why aren't your books carried in borders/barnes and noble?????
or at least the ones in suburban detroit....
i was in 4 Borders and 3 Barnes and Noble and it wasn't in any of them...(not to say that i was searching for your books, which i could have done online....i just like checking out the borders/B&N whenever i pass one....we don't have anything like that where we live now, so it's a major treat to feel surrounded by all those books....and in English no less..:D )

but getting back to your guides.....i really think there's a market for them in the states.....or certainly in certain parts of the states.....(the anglophile parts.....which perhaps is all of it)......i guess i must have bought my copy of your orlando guide from amazon.uk.....which is where i'll buy the paris guide.....even though we have no intention of ever going back to france.....too bad that's where the european mouse lives......but i'm sure i'll enjoy your guide regardless....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter