Budget EASY sides for a picnic

WDWorBUST

DIS Veteran
I'm planning a picnic for around 100 people. We will be grilling hotdogs & hamburgers with the fixins and I know I will have chips. What other sides are easy to serve, easy to prepare, that you don't have to worry about giving your guests food poisoning? The picnic will be late October in Oklahoma so it "should be" nice weather - not hot....but not cold. I will have some help....but plan on doing most of the work myself.

Here's a few:
  • baked beans
  • pasta salad made with oil & vinegar dressing
  • 3-bean salad
  • pickled beets
  • cucumber salad

Tossed green salad
Pasta salad with Italian dressing
Relish tray
Vegetable tray

I love making a grilled veggie platter...yellow and green squash, peppers, aspargus, onions, eggplant (I really don't like the eggplant, but others do). Just cut and drizzle with olive oil, little salt and pepper and they will be ready to go.

Fruit Salad! I'd cut up a watermelon, honeydew melon, grapes, a few pineapple, then use whatever is seasonal and cheaper (blackberries, strawberries, etc). I wouldn't do apples b/c even when you add the lemon juice, they still tend to brown a hair. I love burgers/dogs but, esp. when it's outside and a little warm, a cold fruit salad just makes me feel less full and sweaty. Also when you hollow out the watermelon for use, you can use the empty shell as the fruit bowl to make it pretty. Though personally I've always found that to be a pain to transport, but do whatever you think its best :)

I found a recipe in the newspaper for cornbread salad and made it for a family reunion. It was a huge hit.

I lost the original recipe, but found several versions on the web and just combine the ingrediants we like now. It has tomatoes, sour cream, bell peppers, cheese. Can't remember what else, but I can't wait for fresh tomatoes to be ripe to make some again.

Sheila

What do you think of potato salad and/or macaroni salad IF I use the big underpan for chafing dishes and fill it with ice and then have the smaller pans on top. I might have to replenish more often, but we will only be serving lunch (or dinner - I'm not positive which yet) for an hour or so. Should that be sufficient to keep them cold and safe you think?

I think you'd be okay with both of those and if you can buy them at Walmart, Costco or Sam's you'd be in great shape $$ and time wise. I buy a delicious pasta salad pre-packaged in WM's deli. It's an Amish macaroni salad and is about $5.00 for 4 pounds. I would say that you'd be good with 4 or 5 of those. The same with the potato salad.

It also depends on how much work you want to do. I second the idea of Baked Beans, pickle plates and Pasta Salad with Italian dressing. I cut up zuchini and 1/2 cherry tomatoes plus add black olives and the grated (dried) parmesan cheese to mine and it's yummy (and cheap). Baked beans are easy if you get the big cans and add some brown sugar, a little mustard, and some ketchup. Then put it in a big crockpot (or two for 100 people) and you're good to go.

I have a yummy recipe for copper penny salad. It's a family favorite with carrots, green peppers and onions covered in a tasty homemade dressing that has tomato soup as the base with sugar and vinegar added. How about a corn salad? I don't have the recipe but I've had it before and I'm sure you could get a recipe here on the Dis or online somewhere.

Finally, what about putting out some Salsa with your chips? You can get the huge container at Sam's or Costco for about $5.00.

Suz

Everyone else has given great food suggestions, but I wanted to offer a tip that my co-worker told me a few years ago (and it works great). To keep the salads cold, get a small inflatable one ring swimming pool (around $3 at Walmart). Inflate it, put it on the picnic table, and fill it with ice. Then as people bring salads or other cold items, they can just set them in the pool of ice. It holds quite a few salads or other cold dishes. Then at the end of the day, just dump the ice and deflate the pool. I have a couple of these little pools, and I use them at all my picnics or cookouts. It is really easy and you don't have to worry about the food not staying cold.

Everyone else has given great food suggestions, but I wanted to offer a tip that my co-worker told me a few years ago (and it works great). To keep the salads cold, get a small inflatable one ring swimming pool (around $3 at Walmart). Inflate it, put it on the picnic table, and fill it with ice. Then as people bring salads or other cold items, they can just set them in the pool of ice. It holds quite a few salads or other cold dishes. Then at the end of the day, just dump the ice and deflate the pool. I have a couple of these little pools, and I use them at all my picnics or cookouts. It is really easy and you don't have to worry about the food not staying cold.

Fabulous tip, thank you very much :goodvibes We'll be hosting a graduation party in June when it is guaranteed to be hot. I have been planning how to keep food at the proper temperature and will definitely do this!

I love the pool idea...very neat! I have done several cookouts for large crowds and we get the premade red potato salad and slaw at Sam's. Very good. And they have a great bean salad in jars...can't remmember the name....but very good.

While I enjoy my salads cold, the issue with mayo based salads was when mayo was not pasturized. Which unless you make home made mayo, it should not be a problem now.

Our macaroni salad is basically just macaroni, chopped eggs, mayo, pickle relish, and S&P. Very inexpensive to make. Assuming you could get your eggs for $1/dozen. You should be able to make a giant batch (4 boxes of macaroni worth) for $9 or $10

How about deviled eggs-they are very economical. Since it shouldn't be too hot I think they would be OK especially if you use the pool with ice idea which is a great idea.

Boil macaroni then add a can of the nacho cheese from like Sam's(usually only about 5 bucks a can) and you can even keep warm in a roaster. Works great for picky eaters too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter