Buffet Questions

Controversy

Earning My Ears
Hi! I decided to add a buffet/character meal dinner to our trip. It will be on the night we are exploring the monorail resorts, so I have a choice between Chef Mickey's at Contemporary or 1900 Park Fare at Grand Floridian. Which has better food? (We are adults and don't care about which has better character interaction). Also, are adults able to take food from the section with traditional kids food? We have simple tastes! ;)

Also, for the Rainforest Cafe at DTD- since there aren't reservations, how long would one expect to wait on a Saturday night?

We've never eaten at 1900, but we really love Chef Mickey's! I was surprised that the adult buffet really had some great adult choices! When we were there, I remember peel & eat shrimp, carving stations with ham & roast beef, and several different fish, chicken, and pasta choices. Anyone is also free to eat from the kids buffet, too. As far as Rainforest Cafe goes, from what I understand they do indeed take reservations at the DTD location. I think it may be a different number you call than for other PS's, but I'm almost positive we had reservations our last trip. Otherwise, the wait will be really long, especially on a weekend.

Chef Mickey's does have the more fun, festive atmosphere, but if I'm just going to judge by the food 1900 Park Fare wins. Great variety, wonderful soups, fresh pasta, and DH's favorite...prime rib. The kid's buffet had all the usual items and the macaroni and cheese looked exceptionally good. DD said it was! :tongue:

We HATE 1900 Park Fare. We have eaten there three times - never again!!! Chef Mickey's is very good. We won't do it again this time because we'd like to try something different. Awesome for a first timer though! Rainforest - definitely get a PS. I have seen the wait to be 2 hours just about every time that we have been there. You can always cancel if you would like at not cost to you.

If you don't have children, you may want to consider an off time for the meal. The character dinners can be a little loud.

We ate at both and enjoyed the each for different reasons. Also, service was excellent at both.

Chef Mickey was just fun! Food was good and basic buffet type (Mickey pasta, great roast chicken, carving station). Nice salad bar and shrimp. Great Sundae bar and really good deserts (lots of Chocolate!!).

1900 was special b/c of Cinderella. The food was a bit more sophisticated and had a little more variety, (besides the usual, a citrus pork dish, pasta station and great fresh steamed veggies) but to me the serving area was small and almost an afterthought off in a side room. The icecream machine was not working properly and there were none of the cakes or mini deserts that Mickey's had.

I would go back to both again, but if I had to choose one it would be Chef Mickey. It was less $ and did have the total "Disney" experience.

Hi,

Why not take a boat from the MK or Contemporary resort to Fort Wilderness and eat at Trails end buffet. Its known as the best deal on site for a buffet.

Marcel.

I haven't eaten at 1900 Park Fare, so I can't compare it to Chef Mickey's, but we loved our Chef Mickey's dinner. It is a great atmosphere (a little loud, though) and the food was very good. I took some food from the kids buffet section with no problem and saw others doing it, too (although I guess they could have been filling a plate for a child).

We went to RFC at DTD on a Friday night and the wait was listed as 75 minutes. I would guess the wait could be similar on a Saturday. (We actually ended up being called after 'just' 60 minutes, though.)

If you have a Rainforest Cafe or any other Landry's restaurant near you, you might want to consider joining the Safari Club. You can join by calling or at any RFC restaurant. It is a $15 fee. However, they send a thank you certificate for $10 within a few weeks. You also get a $5 certificate for your birthday.

The biggest plus of the card is that you get the next available table for a party of your size. Plus, you get a free appetizer or 10% off your bill. This is good at ALL Landry's restaurants.

I don't even have a RFC anywhere near us but it is the best $15 I have ever spent. I've gotten my money back and then some.

Here is the list of Landry's restaurants www.landrysseafood.com

Safari Club info:
http://www.rainforestcafe.com/SafariContactUs.asp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter