Buzz's soccer guide for the non-fan who doesn’t want to become the obsessed supporter but does not want to be seen as a noob during WC 2026.

Yes, I see that. Wanting a "more fluid game", but frankly I think it would be more exciting. Sort of like ice hockey when they leave the goal unattended and use that player on offense.

Hockey uses an offside rule and pulling the goalie only happen near the end of the game when the team is trailing and looking to play with the extra man. It only works in the NHL about 15% of the time.

Hockey uses an offside rule and pulling the goalie only happen near the end of the game when the team is trailing and looking to play with the extra man. It only works in the NHL about 15% of the time.
LOL. Sort of like the "shift" in baseball. Always amusing then the batter hits the ball right where the shifted player SHOULD have been playing.

If for whatever reason an attacking player with the ball manages to get past the last two defenders, like a hockey breakaway, is that considered offside?

If for whatever reason an attacking player with the ball manages to get past the last two defenders, like a hockey breakaway, is that considered offside?
No. If anything, the rule is designed to force attacking players to get past defenders after being passed the ball.* So if you manage to do that, you're fine.
One of the smoothest moves for an attacking player to make is to be onside when the pass is made but receive it behind defenders who are caught flatfooted.

* The history is that passing the ball forward was once considered somewhere between inelegant and unsporting. True gentlemen advanced the ball by dribbling. But they realized they could not eliminate passing forward altogether so the invented offsides, and way, way back you had to have 3 defenders between you and goal, not just 2.
Further history is that this same idea is seen in rugby which only allows lateral or backwards passes. It's also reflected in the early history of gridiron football where forward passes were also heavily limited by rule.
Go back to the 1840s and earlier and soccer, rugby and football were all the same game called football. In some place you could use your hands, in other places you could not, and in many you could for limited purposes, like knocking the ball down but not catching it. There were no formal rules and it really varied from town to town, school to school, and port to port. So when people from different backgrounds came together and played they usually spent 20 minutes arguing about basic gameplay before they even started. Then the English being English they formed competing associations, leagues and unions to formalize rules and suddenly there's soccer (name derived from "Assocciation"), rugby union style and rugby league style, and then assorted colonies invented their own variations, US and Canadian gridiron, Aussie rules, Gaelic football, etc.

And some other caveats to offside...

If the ball is between you and the end line, even if there are no defenders, you're not offside. The 'offside' line is determined by the 2nd to last defender OR the ball.
There is no offside on a throw in.
There is no offside on a corner kick.

And some other caveats to offside...

If the ball is between you and the end line, even if there are no defenders, you're not offside. The 'offside' line is determined by the 2nd to last defender OR the ball.
There is no offside on a throw in.
There is no offside on a corner kick.
Also there is no offside violation if the ball is passed backwards. This is one reason you sometimes distinguish between being in an offside position and committing an offside violation.
For example, if 2 attacking players are in offside positions and A passes backwards to B, that is not a violation. This can happen in a breakaway where player A with the ball is to the side of goal and the trailing player B is a couple of yards behind running straight to goal. A can pass sideways and back to B who can then shoot and likely score.

By the way, anyone curious about what football looked like in medieval times, centuries before the modern games, can look to Atherstone, England, where they play every Shrove Tuesday.

This tradition dates to a game played in 1199. The game is now known as Medieval football, aka mob football, folk football, and Shrovetide football. The rules have varied but generally involved a ball, numerous participants, and trying either to get possession of the ball and/or carry it over a marker, and/or kicking it into a balcony. It basically has some form of all the elements of modern soccer, rugby, and American, Canadian, Gaelic and Australian football variants.

And here's a fun 30 minute documentary about the 800 year tradition.

And I don't think there's any offside rule.:P

Also there is no offside violation if the ball is passed backwards. This is one reason you sometimes distinguish between being in an offside position and committing an offside violation.
For example, if 2 attacking players are in offside positions and A passes backwards to B, that is not a violation. This can happen in a breakaway where player A with the ball is to the side of goal and the trailing player B is a couple of yards behind running straight to goal. A can pass sideways and back to B who can then shoot and likely score.
Wouldn't that be using the ball as the offside line? If the ball is between you and the end line, you're not even in an offside position. That was part of my post you quoted.

In your example above, if A has POSSESSION of the ball (which they must in order to pass it), they're not in an offside position. If B is physically behind A (actually the ball at A's foot), relative to the end line, B is not in an offside position either.

Buzz, I never really "got" soccer. My youngest son played it from preschool to middle school. I tried. I wish I had known you at that time so maybe you could've helped me understand. For my son it was a great outlet as he was a bit hyper so all the running was perfect for him. Maybe if I got it, I would've enjoyed it more. It's clearly loved worldwide. I still prefer baseball....I do so appreciate your love of the game though.

Wouldn't that be using the ball as the offside line? If the ball is between you and the end line, you're not even in an offside position. That was part of my post you quoted.

In your example above, if A has POSSESSION of the ball (which they must in order to pass it), they're not in an offside position. If B is physically behind A (actually the ball at A's foot), relative to the end line, B is not in an offside position either.
You’re right. I just had a bit of a brain melt.

Buzz, I never really "got" soccer. My youngest son played it from preschool to middle school. I tried. I wish I had known you at that time so maybe you could've helped me understand. For my son it was a great outlet as he was a bit hyper so all the running was perfect for him. Maybe if I got it, I would've enjoyed it more. It's clearly loved worldwide. I still prefer baseball....I do so appreciate your love of the game though.
I love baseball, football, hockey, and basketball too. It's never to late to get into any sport. You don't have to be a fanatic to enjoy it. You can simply watch one match a year or every four years. You can just watch the national team or every foreign team. You can watch every league or just one. No judgments here. We in the soccer community are as inclusive as possible. If you want tips on how to lightly follow the sport, this is the thread for you. 😃
Maryland does have a professional team by the way that plays in the NISA (3rd division, think double A baseball).:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland_Bobcats_FC

https://www.marylandbobcatsfc.com/

And you always could follow DC United of the MLS if you were ever interested:

https://www.dcunited.com/

I'm not trying to force the sport on you, just wanted to give you some guidance on some teams you could possibly look into. 😉

Thanks Buzz. I didn't realize I hadn't updated my profile location. I am from Maryland but recently retired & relocated to NC. We did take our son to see DC United when he was really into soccer. He always followed David Beckham and had dreams of prof soccer for a few years.

Thanks Buzz. I didn't realize I hadn't updated my profile location. I am from Maryland but recently retired & relocated to NC. We did take our son to see DC United when he was really into soccer. He always followed David Beckham and had dreams of prof soccer for a few years.
Just an FYI, NC has two pro teams NCFC (USL Championship) and Charlotte FC (MLS). NCFC matches will be shown on either CBS, CBS Sports Network, or Paramount Plus (check local listings)

https://www.northcarolinafc.com/

https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/1290547 .

Charlotte FC matches are shown on primarily Apple TV plus and occasionally on FS1 or Fox.

https://www.charlottefootballclub.com/

https://www.charlottefootballclub.com/schedule/affiliates

Feel free to ignore this information. I just wanted to give you a local option if you ever wanted to give following soccer a shot. 😃

Oh, just to let your son know (if he doesn't already), David Beckham owns the Inter Miami CF (MLS) team.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter