Bye bye meds!!

CantWaitToGo2007

Mouseketeer
Just took DS to the developmental doctor today and she told us that DS doesn't have to take his meds anymore! DS has Asperger's. This is great news for him because the meds were making him so sick. We went on a 2 month trial of no meds and he seems to be doing fine. He still has his moments (about once a week) where he needs to go sit in the hallway outside of class for a few minutes to get control of himself, but he is doing great. (DS and his teacher have a sign worked out between them so when one of them feels that DS needs to take a break from class he can) He is doing so well that his teacher didn't even know that we had taken him off meds until we told him last week.

I was just so excited that I had to share this with people that would understand :banana: :banana:

I was wondering, how old is your DS and what kind of meds was he taking? My DS11 has Asperger's and is taking Zoloft for his anxiety. He was taking Geodan until last year when the Dr. said he could probably do without it. Turns out he's fine with just the Zoloft for now.

Glad your DS is able to go without meds! Great news!:)

I was wondering, how old is your DS and what kind of meds was he taking? My DS11 has Asperger's and is taking Zoloft for his anxiety. He was taking Geodan until last year when the Dr. said he could probably do without it. Turns out he's fine with just the Zoloft for now.

Glad your DS is able to go without meds! Great news!:)

He was taking Strattera (this is the one that was making him sick) and guanfacine.

I really hope that it works for you!!

In another thread I posted about my son. Ds12 has Asperger's. He has been on meds for almost 3 years (Abilify) Several months ago his psychiatrist put him on lamictal - which made him tired, lethargic and "dopey". We are currently weaning him off that - dr. kept wanting to increase it AND add a third medication!! We said NO. We are hoping to wean him off the abilify this summer and see how it goes. We are currently working to get him out of the public school system and somewhere that handles kids like him - he also has learning disabilities.

It is such along, hard road, isn't it??

Jill

I really hope that it works for you!!

In another thread I posted about my son. Ds12 has Asperger's. He has been on meds for almost 3 years (Abilify) Several months ago his psychiatrist put him on lamictal - which made him tired, lethargic and "dopey". We are currently weaning him off that - dr. kept wanting to increase it AND add a third medication!! We said NO. We are hoping to wean him off the abilify this summer and see how it goes. We are currently working to get him out of the public school system and somewhere that handles kids like him - he also has learning disabilities.

It is such along, hard road, isn't it??

Jill

It's a very long road. DS may have to go back on meds when he goes to middle school next year, we'll see how it goes. But for now he is med free and so much happier. Tonight we went out to dinner with my aunt, her boyfriend and his son (I think he is 24). His son has some form of Autism, but I'm not sure what it is. DS thought it was so cool to meet someone kind of like himself.

I like DS's therapist so much. He tells us the way he thinks we should handle DS, but leaves the final decision up to me.

I took DS out of public school the beginning of third grade because the teacher wouldn't listen to me when I would try to talk to her. DS was very unhappy at school and was constantly getting in trouble in class. I tried to have him change teacher but they wouldn't let us do that. So one day I pulled him out of public school and enrolled him in a private school. They were willing to work with DS while I figured out what was going on in his head. The next school year he went back to his public school, but we finally had a diagnosis and were getting the help that he needed. He is doing great in school for the most part, in fact he goes this weekend to begin testing for the gifted program for middle school. I'm really lucky to have such a great kid:)

That's great! Our Aspie 10 yr old is on Zoloft, and it seems to help him. He's been on it for 2 yrs.

Guess we have been lucky, as our school has been great with him. He's had wonderful teachers, including the one this year who's done a great job working with us on his OC behavior.

We had ours diagnosed at 4, so he's been on an IEP since preschool and I had such fears going to the "regular" IEP for kindergarten. But when I had brought the copy of the diagnosis, they were almost shocked that we had done it at that age(following advice of family doctor).

DS did the first part of his testing for the gifted program today. I asked him if the questions were hard and I got the "you've got to be kidding me" look. Ds said the questions were so easy and he was bored. The testing was to last for an hour, I guess he finished early because he came out with a doodle sheet that had a very detailed drawing of the Titanic. Titanic is one of his favorite subjects.

Hopefully the rest of the test next Saturday goes as well for him. :goodvibes

Lamictal is a nasty piece of work. I took it for Bipolar disorder last year. I was so happy to quit it. Why cant they get better meds on the market for these disorders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter