Cabana Rental at Aquatica and Discovery Cove

kathy884

DIS Veteran
I've never done a cabana rental before, but it looks like my wonderful parents (78 year olds) will be joining us when we do a little mini SeaWorld park vacation -- SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, and Aquatica). For my dad who need to limit exposure to the sun and who after some melanoma treatments some years back gets tired more easily and doesn't have the stamina for a full day of activity, I thought cabana rentals would be perfect for having him join us for our Aquatica and Discovery Cove days. We'll have six of us too.

First questions are for Aquatica: I noticed that they have a Ultimate Cabana rental option on the private island for up to eight starting at $299. They also starting at $69 or $59 (pool view and non pool view) and add $60 for our two additional people, so staring at the $130 or $120 price point have Cutback cove cabana rentals. // I'm thinking the Cutback Cove rental would be fine for us and for the small premium I'd go for the pool view, but would like opinions. The youngest in our party is 19, so yes I'd want two or more people together, but it's not like we are needing to do close children supervision. I'm mostly looking for shade for my dad, a pleasant view, and a place where we can hang / visit with dad between slides and wave pool time. // If you think, though, I'd be way happier and that the Ultimate Cabana package and that that would work out better let me know and sell me on the benefits for the money (should I up the budget for this) -- We'll have a 19 year old, a 20 year old, me and my husband in our 50s, and my parents who are both 78. All except dad will be doing some slides plus wave pool. Dad might go into the wave pool when the waves aren't going to cool down, etc. but will mostly be there to sit out and enjoy a little time visiting with the family.

Then there is Discovery Cove. Just the 19 and 20 year olds will do the dolphin swim. DH and I will skip that. Not totally sure about mom and dad yet, but am guessing they will probably skip that too, although dad did opt to do that on his last visit to Mexico. Anyway this will be over a popular spring break week. Do you think that despite not wanting the extras of the Ultimate package, I should do that for $229 or so? I'll be letting each kid get a 5 x 7 photo for the dolphin swim, but will definitely not be springing for any big photo packages, etc. so I don't think that discount is something I'll be needing either. My sense here is that I could just call three weeks ahead of time about the rental for $175 and get that if it's still available. And that if I don't get it, that this wouldn't be a big deal. Given the smaller number of people here and the many activities, I'm thinking it would probably not be a problem to find a nice place to sit with some shade? Let me know, though, if I'm misguided here and what your recommendation would be.

I appreciate any and all advice as I'm a newbie on the Cabana rental scene and have never rented a Cabana before. On other trips to water parks, etc. with dad, he has just put some towels on some nice chairs in the shade (three or so) and that has been our family hang out area with some sitting on chairs and some sitting on towels on the ground).

We have rented cabanas at both places, multiple times.

For Aquatica, we've never been sold on the pool views.....we prefer the more secluded, quieter (and cheaper....a happy bonus) Cutback Cove standard cabanas. The foliage in there is lush, shade is abundant, and you are literally just across the walkway from the pool view cabanas (so location is virtually the same). Being right next to the wave pool, you would have more people watching opportunities, but you will also hear every shriek and scream from swimmers.

Here's what a Cutback Cove, non pool view rental will get you:

Cutback Cove standard cabana #6 even has a partial pool view:

As for Discovery Cove, we love the cabanas but they are certainly not a necessary indulgence. Shady chairs can be secured by arriving early and scoping out a spot you like.

For spring break dates, I would guess that there's a high likelihood that there will be no availability for a cabana-only rental when any inventory is released for individual booking at three weeks out.

The Elite package at a cost of $399 includes the largest photo package and all its components (which would be $229 if purchased at the park) in addition to the cabana ($199 on its own). *If* you were planning on purchasing both anyway, its a no brainer (as the Elite package is cheaper than the two items purchased separately, plus includes the extra incentives) but if you just want a cabana and won't be heartbroken if they're all gone, then I'd roll the dice and cross your fingers.

This is what you will get with a DC cabana rental:

And this is what you will be "forced" to endure without a cabana ;):

Gina, the last time I was at Discovery Cove was June 2012 and I don't remember seeing green things floating in the water. We are off there again in August 2015 and I wanted to know what and where they are please?

Gina, the last time I was at Discovery Cove was June 2012 and I don't remember seeing green things floating in the water. We are off there again in August 2015 and I wanted to know what and where they are please?

They are sunken loungers in the Freshwater Oasis (where the Asian otters and marmosets are featured). I think that area of the park may have opened just after you visted in June 2012.....so it will be all new for you!

The cheapest cabana rental at Aquatica during our spring break trip would be $179!!! Who would pay that, that is insane. That is for the least expensive option.

The cheapest cabana rental at Aquatica during our spring break trip would be $179!!! Who would pay that, that is insane. That is for the least expensive option.

Considering a cabana rental at a Disney waterpark is $319.25 regardless of the season:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/typhoon/typhoon.htm

I would say a lot of people would ;) .

Spring break is high season. One thing I love about Aquatica is that they offer seasonal pricing on their cabanas, versus Disney's same price all year. When we were at Aquatica during Christmas week this year, we paid a whopping $44.99 for our rental that included rental towels, a large locker, 12 bottles of Dasani water, AND usage of the private cabana. Shocking cheap when you compare what guests at Typhoon Lagoon were paying for their cabanas on the very same day......6 times more :scared:.

I have a few more questions about the cabanas at Aquatica. Cutback Cove area is the cheapest but I notice there is a smoking area right there. Is it as close as it seams on the park map? I'm really allergic to smoke and will have an asthma attack if I breathe in the smallest amount. Is the locker in the cabana or is it elsewhere in the park? Would it be safe to leave my inhalers in the cabana if the locker is located elsewhere?

I have a few more questions about the cabanas at Aquatica. Cutback Cove area is the cheapest but I notice there is a smoking area right there. Is it as close as it seams on the park map? I'm really allergic to smoke and will have an asthma attack if I breathe in the smallest amount. Is the locker in the cabana or is it elsewhere in the park? Would it be safe to leave my inhalers in the cabana if the locker is located elsewhere?

Cabana 1 in Cutback Cove is closest to the smoking area. We had cabana 1 on our Christmas week trip, but didn't smell any cigarette smoke while we were in it. You could always try requesting the cabanas further up the wave pool (same area, Cutback Cove) if you are concerned about your asthma.

Your large locker (more than enough room for clothing, purses, phones, cameras, medications, etc.) will be located right inside the cabana. You will be able to keep your inhalers right handy in your cabana, all locked up safely :thumbsup2 .

Thanks so much Gina! You are so helpful with the SeaWorld and Aquatica questions.

I see that we are allowed to bring in small portions of food to Aquatica. No sandwiches or beverages (other than bottled water). I'm trying to justify the cost of a Cabana for just my niece and I and if we can bring in a bunch of snack items and only have to purchase lunch I think it's doable. I also have a hard time finding food with my food allergies and I will admit I'm a picky eater. If I were to pack an applesauce cup/pouch, fruit bars, cereal bars/granola bars, small lunchbox sized crackers I should be okay.

Since we will be staying at an Official SeaWorld Hotel we get 10% off dining at SW and Aquatica. Does this work with All-Day Dining or just individual purchases? How does it work? I'm guessing it's a piece of paper or we show our hotel room key each time.

Sorry, one more question. Since we have a locker in the cabana is that where most people change?

Sorry, one more question. Since we have a locker in the cabana is that where most people change?

The cloth sides of the cabana don't close all the way, so you can't change in the cabana itself, unfortunately. There is a washroom right behind the Cutback Cove cabana area, though, and change rooms a short walk away :thumbsup2 .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter