Cabins - Fort Wilderness

Tom conveniently forgets that right up until 1999, the "cabins" at Fort Wilderness looked like this:

View attachment 819005

Plus, the ones they are getting rid of are literally the same trailers, with some fake log siding stuck on them.
That’s what we stayed in on our first visit, 1994! They’ve always been manufactured homes, AKA trailers. In 1994 we had a Murphy bed in the living room, which was replaced by a sofa bed in 1999.

I don’t know how many of the cabins they are actually going to allow dogs in, but a lot of people love taking their dogs everywhere—as the only DVC resort that will allow dogs, I can imagine this option will appeal to certain group.

I don’t know how many of the cabins they are actually going to allow dogs in, but a lot of people love taking their dogs everywhere—as the only DVC resort that will allow dogs, I can imagine this option will appeal to certain group.
I agree, they’ll be popular, based on posts I’ve read over the years asking about pets in DVC villas, especially after Disney began offering dog-friendly resort rooms. There’s currently a loop (maybe two, not sure) that already allows dogs, so it’s likely that’s where the DVC dog-friendly cabins will be.

My interest is definitely tied to the ability to bring dogs, but not if they’re going to keep the $50/night, with no upper limit, pet fee on top of dvc prices.

My interest is definitely tied to the ability to bring dogs, but not if they’re going to keep the $50/night, with no upper limit, pet fee on top of dvc prices.
That’s definitely an expensive per night fee! It seems like it makes more sense to have it be a length of stay fee (because you only need the additional cleaning once) like many other hotel chains do.

That’s definitely an expensive per night fee! It seems like it makes more sense to have it be a length of stay fee (because you only need the additional cleaning once) like many other hotel chains do.
It will be interesting to see what they do with this. I am fully expecting it to stay at $50/nt

Tom conveniently forgets that right up until 1999, the "cabins" at Fort Wilderness looked like this:

View attachment 819005

Plus, the ones they are getting rid of are literally the same trailers, with some fake log siding stuck on them.
Yep...I was around then & remember...
That's why, IMO, this would have been a perfect time to correct all of those mistakes & create a more authentic Fort Wilderness DELUXE DVC community & not just a grouping of unattractive, poorly designed tiny houses.

Yeah. It’s ridiculous. I travel with my dogs quite a bit, for several reasons, and we mostly go to Universal now because their resorts have a very reasonable length of stay fee. While I have done Disney for a few nights with the pups (AoA once and POR once), the fee is ridiculous and the “security check” harassment have soured me (they won’t come in when dogs are there, which is correct, but they then show up very very early in the morning and ask me to leave the room with the dogs for the “check” and they refuse to agree to schedule them). IF they changed the few structure, I would reconsider, but DVC prices + $50/night is a hard no from me.

Yep...I was around then & remember...
That's why, IMO, this would have been a perfect time to correct all of those mistakes & create a more authentic Fort Wilderness DELUXE DVC community & not just a grouping of unattractive, poorly designed tiny houses.
I don’t think that “creating a DVC community” is the motivation at all. I think this is just another step in Disney’s shift of underperforming cash resort units from a Resort’s budget to DVC owners. The sale of DVC points will pay for replacing the current aging trailers, and the owners of those points will pay dues for maintaining them whether they’re occupied or not (that was a lesson from Covid that Disney took to heart), plus any that aren’t booked by DVC members can be rented by Disney for cash. Same thing they did with the DVC Poly longhouses, with CCV, and with VGF BPK.

View attachment 819005

The one we stayed in in 1987 had a metal staircase. We've got a picture of me and the 3 kids sitting squished onto our tiny staircase to have our picture taken. I thought that the addition of a full-sized porch, when we went back in 2003 was a great improvement.

I don’t think that “creating a DVC community” is the motivation at all. I think this is just another step in Disney’s shift of underperforming cash resort units from a Resort’s budget to DVC owners. The sale of DVC points will pay for replacing the current aging trailers, and the owners of those points will pay dues for maintaining them whether they’re occupied or not (that was a lesson from Covid that Disney took to heart), plus any that aren’t booked by DVC members can be rented by Disney for cash. Same thing they did with the DVC Poly longhouses, with CCV, and with VGF BPK.
I agree that's the reality...I was saying I wished DVC saw the opportunites to use theming, as they once did, to their benefit.

Been saying for years... This attack of homogeneous de-theming everywhere will be WDWs demise. Once upon a time it was all about a sense of time & place 😢 ... Now it's about keeping up with the latest trendy mall or Hilton.
Agree so sad, but Hilton Spark room.

I'm not sure how the layout of these cabins is something that familes can "grow" into. With young children, the bunk beds are appealing. But once those kids are teenagers, they aren't going to want to sleep in bunk beds in a bed room with mom and dad. Privacy is not possible in this setup because the only "isolated" sleeping surface is the murphy bed in the living room...and then you still need to walk through the living room to get to the bathroom.

And then there is the question of storage...where do you put everything? Based on the artist's renderings, there does not appear to be any closet space or counter space. Cramming six people and their stuff into that cabin is not my idea of a relaxing, deluxe experience. I guess saying the cabins will sleep 6 follows the same guidelines that tent manufacturers use when they decide on their occupancy.
1703320240106.png

Back in the 90's we stayed in the original trailers. We had 3 young kids who'd never been on a 'real' vacation before - first time flying and hotel experience - so we purposefully chose the cabins for 'sound' control. We stayed there twice before we felt they were 'sound proofed' enough for a hotel room. The cabins are ideal for soundproofing. We've stayed in all the east coast DVC destinations so I do consider not having to worry about how loud you're being or being woken up by surrounding fellow vacationers can be a real plus.

I've no need for laundry as clothes have never been a problem. I never had to wear my vacation clothes at home. Our cases go by the laundry until my regularly scheduled laundry day arrives. We live out of our suitcases so storage is not an issue. As for Deluxe accommodations, DVC destinations are definitely not. Our first impression of DVC was how staying there was a downgrade from a normal resort - no housekeeping and the wear is phenomenal (what are people doing that the fridge fronts are all dented and the furniture chipped?).

We will probably stay at the cabins as some point for nostalgia. I do hope they resurrect the walking path to the Wilderness Lodge. A golf cart would be fun.

Been saying for years... This attack of homogeneous de-theming everywhere will be WDWs demise. Once upon a time it was all about a sense of time & place 😢 ... Now it's about keeping up with the latest trendy mall or Hilton.

Tom nailed it! Hope everyone listens to his rant on current trends & de-theming.

It's what once made Disney THEME Parks so different from "amusement parks."

The theming is what makes us truly love Disney; the experiences, the service, the feeling of being transported to someplace new and magical.

The erosion of theming everywhere, I agree, is what will lose people. Why pay the price if it’s just like everywhere else?

Seeing what’s happening with the Cabins - we were so excited that they’d become DVC and now we’re devastated that the log cabin theming is going away - I worry so much about what Disney will do during the AKV refurb.

Still a phase... I do not think it has to stay this way. Eventually they will move back to niche but a lot of factors at play here with the main one being complacency.

Does anyone know when current owners can start booking these new cabins? Also, will all of them be pet friendly or only a limited number? Thank you.

Per DVC News:
Reservations will reportedly follow this schedule:
Current owners adding-on: Begin booking February 15
New owners: March 12
All other eligible DVC points, subject to 7 month window: April 23

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter