Caleb's Make A Wish DisneyWorld/Universal trip 1/29-2/7/15

Day 9: Downtown Disney and Daytona Beach

It is our last day and we didn't have any real plans except we wanted to go to downtown disney and we had reservations at Beaches and Cream at 2:00. DH and I walked across the street for coffee and he is feeling like he has a cold, not good. Once the kids were dressed and ready we went to the waffle house for breakfast. We were going to go to Golden Corral for the breakfast buffet but remembered that 17yo dd can't go to buffets (immunosuppressed after her transplant so buffets are just too iffy with possibility of contamination) Apparently everyone decided to have breakfast there and we were waiting outside for a table. In the parking lot was a little building that sells tickets and has brochures so dh went in and was looking at brochures for ideas of things to do. I had suggested Disney Quest to the kids, thinking they would enjoy that and dh and I would just wander DTD with no kids but none of the kids wanted to do it.:confused3 I was pretty surprised. DH found brochure on Daytona Beach and suggested we head there after our Beaches and Cream reservation. I wasn't that excited about it since we wouldn't have much time there but he got all the kids on board so that became our plan. After breakfast we went back to our room, got stuff packed up and headed to DTD. 14yo dd found mickey ears she wanted and both the girls got names put on them.

We looked around at a few stores and then headed to Wonderful World of Disney for our final shopping. DH took Caleb back to the lego store again. Once we finished up we left for Beaches and Cream and some yummy ice cream! :cool1: This was our only reservation where we had to wait past our reservation time before being seated. DH was not feeling good now and just sat outside half sleeping until we were called to our table. We came here last time dh and 14yo dd had to come back. They shared a No Way Jose last time and this time they were getting there own.

Caleb, of course, wanted food so he got a hot dog kids meal (which came with ice cream),

17yo dd was having a hard time deciding and the waitress had come back a couple times already to ask if we were ready, we thought she was ready and she ordered the milky way sundae, but then she was mad saying she hadn't decided and we rushed her…umm we gave her plenty of time and she told us she was ready, oh well the milky way sundae was amazing and dh even told her she could order something else if she wanted to but she didn't

I got the brownie a la mode, I would have gotten one of the sundaes but I know that I couldn't eat it all.

17yo dd couldn't finish hers so I had a little and let my ice cream loving 14yo finish it. We put all our plates in front of her so it looked like she ate it all :P

Once we finished we left for the beach, I would say we should have done some more research and really thought this through. We hadn't gotten too far on the freeway before we realized we were going to be fighting traffic for awhile. DH kept saying, we made a mistake, we shouldn't go right now, going to take forever. We all said, ok, lets not go, it is fine, none of us cared we could hang out at the resort, he could sleep and get some rest since he wasn't feeling good. Nope, we forged ahead. Took us an extra 45 minutes to get out there, but we there in time to see the sunset (although this west coast girl is used to seeing them over the ocean :)

and it was getting dark so this was our view of the beach

and it was SUPER windy! We walked on the pier out to Joe's Crab shack and felt like we were going to get blown away! We had dinner there and none of really liked it that much. I had coconut shrimp and I liked it but by the time we left my stomach was feeling all the grease I took in. 17yo dd got some sort of crab stuffed shrimp and she said the crab didn't taste good, was just mushy, dh had some sort of sampler and he said the same thing about the crab he had, and 14yo dd had fish and chips, she liked it ok but everything was greasy so we all left feeling blah :sick: We left and drove back, yep we drove out there just to have dinner and drove back, too cold and windy to be outside at all. We got back and we all packed and dh fell right asleep. Luckily the morning wasn't going to be too early so I was able to let everyone sleep in in the morning. I got most of the packing done that night though so figured the morning would go smoothly.

I am about to post our last day, been gone for spring break so back to finish this up, kind of sad it is over :guilty:

Thought I would share the video I put together for our fundraising effort for the CF Foundation this year

Day 10: Traveling home

We got up and got the last stuff packed, dh still wasn't feeling great, I walked over to the little store and got he and I breakfast sandwiches, coffee and the kids wanted doughnuts for breakfast so I got some of those too. We ate, loaded the car, checked out and headed to the airport. Turned in our rental car and went to check in, we weren't sure how our flight home might go since our MAW part was done but since it still was his Wish trip in our minds we wore our Make A Wish buttons. Our first leg was on American Airlines, we got in the regular line and after a few minutes one of the ladies that worked there noticed us and switched us to the priority line and then we got checked in and went through security, we did get to go through the quicker line too. Found our gate and then 14yo dd wanted to look at one of the shops because she was still trying to find something to bring back to one of her friends. Headed back since we would be boarding soon and I asked the gate attendant if we could pre board (they let us on the way here and with our extra carryons with medical stuff we just didn't want to risk not getting it in the overhead compartment) she looked at me kind of weird but said ok. They were starting to pre board and we got in line and dh disappeared, he didn't say anything and I could not find him. So I was going to leave 17yo dd with his and her boarding passes and they could board when he got back. They were just scanning our tickets when he showed back up so they came and joined us. Then they stopped all the boarding and said there was a possible mechanical issue and they were going to have to run some tests. The gate area was really crowded and so we just sat on the floor right there because there was no where else to sit. They finally let us know that there was a part that needed to be replaced and they were checking to see if they had it there at the Orlando airport. Soon they came back and said they didn't and they were going to have to have it flown in from Miami and would take a few hours before they could get the part.:eek: We had a pretty long layover in Chicago but at this point didn't look like we would make it so i got in the long line to find out our options. DH kept disappearing (apparently he was going to blow his nose but it was getting stressful for me that every time I turned around I couldn't find him and he would never say anything to me) Before I even got to the front of the line they announced they did have the part and were fixing the plane and now it seemed we would get to Chicago in time.
The kids were getting pretty tired of waiting (so was I)

I don't remember how long we ended up waiting, an hour and a half maybe, maybe longer, but we finally got on the plane and were on our way. No special treatment for American Airlines but that was fine, we were just happy to be out of the airport. Got to chicago and I got some caramel popcorn (i love getting that at the chicago airport) and made our way to our gate, this leg of our flight was with Alaska Airlines again and they were very nice and had us pre board, we just got on the plane and were getting in our seats when they had us leave the plane because there was some issue they were going to have to check out…are you freaking serious? again?? So off the plane and again no place to sit so back on the floor again. Apparently one of the tires had a big metal piece stuck in it and they needed to change the tire. 14yo dd was trying her ears on her new Stitch :)

I think it took about an hour and we were back on the plane again, so ready for this travel day to be done. Alaska gave us the royal treatment again and gave us the movie players and free food again. Good flight home and we were very glad to be back in the Portland airport.

the famous PDX carpet :)
Got our luggage, got the shuttle to the hotel where our car was parked and headed home. I think we got home about 11 or 11:30 and all of us were exhausted (we did gain 3 hours so felt much later to us) Our dog and cars were very happy to see us and we were all glad to just go to bed.:faint:

You trip sounded so wonderful... except all the trouble on the way back.

I love your video. I still can't listen to that song without tearing up. We are planning on using it for a slideshow for our local walk as well. I wonder if One Republic had any idea they would end up creating the unofficial anthem for CF fighters across North America.

You trip sounded so wonderful... except all the trouble on the way back.

I love your video. I still can't listen to that song without tearing up. We are planning on using it for a slideshow for our local walk as well. I wonder if One Republic had any idea they would end up creating the unofficial anthem for CF fighters across North America.
Thanks, I know that song always gets me too! Good luck with your walk efforts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter