Calfornia Grill

people rave about this place. Yes, the food is really really good. But we've never taken the kids and I dont know if theyd say the food was good. We have PS for the fireworks hour. The place was mobbed and we had to go outside to see them, so I had to ask what was the point.

We dont have any plans to return.

I looked at the menu and it seemed like really complicated meals.. didn't see anything that my kids would really like.

We've eaten there dozens of times. Great food! Atmosphere can be a bit loud, although it's MUCH better now that looky-seers aren't allowed to hang out and wait for the fireworks.

I don't find the menu at all complicated. Of all teh finer WDW restaurants, this one is one of the better choices to take kids to--as long as they are used to fine dining and can sit quietly and eat for about 90 minutes.

Anne

Originally posted by HollyJoy
I looked at the menu and it seemed like really complicated meals.. didn't see anything that my kids would really like.
Hi HollyJoy,

Check out my review of Cali Grill I just posted. . Make sure you get PS for a fireworks time. Plan your meal before the fireworks. That will give the DK's something to look forward to. Also, the staff could probably whip up a flat bread the kids would love. They're only $10, and one would feed a couple of younger children. Personally, when we go there again, we'll have flat bread, main course, and dessert. The first course is nice, but if we had added dessert I would have exploded. I would much more prefer dessert to the first couse selection.

They have a very nice kids menu, looks excellent. My kid skipped the kids menu and went right for the sushi though! :cool:

I've had great experiences at this place both times I dined. For a less chaotic atmoshere, go well before the fireworks hulabaloo begins.

We love the California Grill. Great food and service and you can't beat the view especially if you can get a window seat for the fireworks. We have gotten a perfect seat the last 3 visits. But this restaurant holds a special place in my heart b/c we got engaged there!!
Best of luck!

What a coincidence! I got enganged there too... Besides that, it is the best food on property. The wine list is great also. I would say it is more enjoyable for adults with no children.

we have a 9:10 ps the night we arrive Dec. 19. ( for dessert mainly thats too late for kids 7, 9, 11 to eat dinner) but now I'm nervous that we won't get a table, Fireworks start at 10. Anyone have any insight?

Robyn

never had a problem getting our PS table...had great seats awesome view of the fireworks, exceptional service and wonderful food....the menu may sound like it is complicated but the food is so excellent no matter what it is called.
Can you tell this is my favorite place to eat?

Hey DisneyJen0504 : What is the best way to insure a window table?

We are a group of 6 (adults in our late 50's) going on a SUNDAY nite in early February. The Wishes should be at 7:00 p.m. that night, so I made the PS for 5:50. My thought was - the place opens at 5:30 - most people coming for fireworks arrive around 6:10-6:30 - so if I did 5:50 and arrived around 5:30, we should have no problem?

Between the 6 of us we should be able to eat, drink and talk our way through until 7:00!!!

My hubby and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary here and it was so magical I almost didn't want to go back for fear of ruining the memory. I figure - hey, it's Disney, we will be with some of our dearest friends - how could it be bad?

Hey 2 of Us! Did you make a ps for Feb 6th? Me, DH, DD9and DS8 will be there hoping to see wishes too. It is hard to plan when Disney hasn't released hours yet. I got a ps for 6:20 and like you am coming early! lol How many tables have the good view?

Our PS is for 5:50. Having been there only once (2000) I remember there being tables all along the windows, but the restaurant has windows on two sides (south and east I belive - I always get confussed at WDW), the longest side looks out toward the South I THINK! The castle is toward the NORTHWEST? end of the Contemporary, and the deck area is on the north end of the restaurant. I think is best to have a table on the more northern end. I am SURE they will know what you want when you ask at check-in!

We should find a way to recognize each other so we can say hi! We'll be 3 couples in our late 50's (no children) that will be laughing, drinking and talking a lot!!!! And, of course, we are all VERY GOOD LOOKING and SLIM,(r-i-i-i-ght). You should have no problem spotting us - we'll be by a WINDOW cause we will be there drooling on the cast member at the check-in desk at 5:30!!!

Originally posted by airforcewife
Also has anyone ever had a problem getting a table here at your ps time??

Yes. I think the later in the evening the ps, the more chance you'll have to wait on your ps. We went on a Monday night (this was in 2001, late September), a non-fireworks night, arrived at about 8:15 for an 8:30 ps, and weren't seated until almost 9pm.

Wasn't a huge deal to us, we had drinks at the bar.

How early is too early to check in? I want a good window seat too! lol Maybe we could also be there at 5:30 or maybe at 5:40, enough time for the cm to recover and clean up after all your drool. lol Then it will be time for our drooling! lol
It would be neat to meet up! There will be me and dh, and 2 kids, DD9 and DS8. Don't worry they are well behaved! Maybe we should wear the official lime green that they say to wear at this site! Maybe a bow in DD hair or something. You might have to be more creative! It will be our 1st night in Disney so we will be also grining from ear to ear!:tongue: We will look for you all good looking skinny people! :duck: :teeth: :teeth: Maybe we could all gang up on the poor cm!:earseek:

At the time I made my PS they said to arrive anywhere from 10-15 minutes early for check-in. You do that on the 2nd floor and then they take you by elevator up to the top (15th floor?)

If your table is not ready, you can sit in the bar area to wait. I would IMAGINE you will be relatively okay at 6:20, but you may want to see if they can get you an earlier PS, just to be on the safe side. You could even call the day before to see if anyone cancelled. Also, remember there are no-shows all the time., so just showing up earlier may be an option.

Funny, I wear lime'ish' green a lot anyway, but we might be dressing up a bit for this night - don't know yet. DH & I will arrive 2/1 & stay at VWL for 3 nights, then drive to Naples, FL to meet up with relatives. The 4 of us drive back to WDW 2/5 and pick up the 3rd couple flying in from Swisher, Iowa. They have NEVER been to WDW and he turns 60 on 2/9. His only request for the trip "I want to dance with the belly dancer in Morocco on my BD!" I want to buy him one of those "It's My Birthday" pins to wear so you might look for an OLD MAN with a birthday pin!

That Sunday morning we will be at CRT for an 8:30 breakfast! Couldn't think of a more magical start to their 1st trip!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: You are not going to believe this but we also have reservations at CRT at 8:10 !!!!!!!!!:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: I hope you don't think we are following you! heehee! Please don't tell me you are eating at KonaCafe for lunch!:eek: You can tell by our ps's that we aren't skinney either!

Okay -chubs- :rotfl: we got ya beat here - we are SKIPPING lunch. Figured we have several days to spend our $$ so we are saving something for later! :cool1: Plus, at our age if we ate 3 big meals a day our cholesteral would be through the roof!

Guess now we really DO have to meet or press charges for stalking!

Actually, every time I go to WDW I come back around 5 pounds lighter. We usually eat a least one bigger meal a day (but we often share it) and we walk a lot and quickly while there, so maybe I should do more of that at home, huh?

Hollyjolly,
In response to your questions about having trouble being seated with a PS, I have copied my posting regarding this problem on our recent attempt at eating at CG this October.

"First the good - California Grill has a beautiful view of Magic Kingdom and their staff is very friendly.

Now, the bad - I wish I had a review of the food for everyone, as I had heard such good things about their menu and was looking forward to this meal; however, my family arrived for our 7:10pm PS at 7:00, and at 8:45pm, we still had not been seated.

We watched Wishes from the observation deck (nice show, but I bet it is better watching it head on down main street) After waiting for 1 hr and 45 minutes for a table and spending most of that time speaking with the staff, we decided to head back to AKL and Mara's for dinner.

Although we were disappointed that we didn't get to eat there, we could see that it was no fault of the staff. The entire time we were there, as more and more parties arrived for their Priority Seatings, we didn't see one party leave their already occupied tables. There were groups, who had finished their meals when we first arrived, who were still at their tables when we left...their perrogative, but I would think that this poses a problem for the CG staff on many nights when Wishes is being shown.

When we decided to leave, the staff told us that they could see if there was anything they could do to get us a table, but our kids (4 and 1) had already behaved really well for almost 2 hours, and we didn't want to push our luck

I don't think that I will make PS for Cal. Grill for our next trip, or if I do, it will be for a much earlier time.

Highlight of the night: We were able to sit in the front of the monorail on the way back to Magic Kingdom - very cool for my DS(4)!!!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter