California Grill & kids..your opinion

MOMTOMOOTOO

<font color=blue>The people in Shop Rite would not
In all of our trips, we have never eaten at CG. Well we had to make some changes so our PS options are quite limited:( However, I was able to get CG for 6:00pm with the fireworks at 7:00, so your honest opinions about bringing our kids. They are 2,4, & 6 and are for the most part well behaved in restaurants (they have alot of practice;) ) Let me know what you think. I will not be offended if you think we should skip it (I like some kid free zones too!)

Laura

All I can say is that every time we've done CG, there have been any # of kids--many in the age range of your's. All seemed to be having a good time.

We have taken out two kids (now 5 and 2) at various ages, to many of the upscale restaurants in WDW. They've eaten at: Narcoossee's, Artist Point, Jiko, Flying Fish and Le Cellier. DH wants to eat at CG, but I personally don't like the menu. If I did like the menu, I wouldn't hesitate taking them there. My kids are like yours and are used to eating out, we go out at least once a week!!!!! :hyper: Take the kids and enjoy yourself!!!!

We are taking our three - ages 3,5 and 7 to CG in two weeks. They also eat out every weekend and know what is expected of them. We are doing what you are - which is eating relatively early, so they will not be too tired and/ or hungry to enjoy themselves.

I think it is fine.:D

We've eaten at CG, but not with kids. There were a number of kids there when we ate. I, however, wouldn't take our kids there. They are on the young side (6 and 9), and our dinner at CG lasted a while. I know our kids are not that interested in a long sit down meal unless it has something entertaining to offer. Perhaps if Wishes were going off at MK during dinner, but otherwise, they would much rather be riding Splash Mountain.

i have only been to CG once, in april on my 1st solo trip. there were few children there the night i was but the place was still very noisy. i was lucky enough to get a window view of the fireworks at mk. i think your children would probably enjoy looking "out over mk". if you think they would enjoy it i would go ahead and give it a try:D
kathe

We've also taken our three (6,5,2) to CG a couple times (and will again next week). It's a loud restaurant, so it absorbs the general "surface noise" even well-behaved children generate, and they think the view is really cool.

My DH and I loved this restaurant, especially if you can go at sunset, WOW. However, my 3 boys did not like one thing on the menu. They are pretty average eating kids, and the kids menu offered nothing typical. If you can go with just your hubby, it would be more enjoyable.

Another vote for taking your children. I think your timing is good too.

It's very child friendly. They even have butcher paper over the table cloths and will supply your little ones with crayons. Most servers at CG as well as other fine dining spots in WDW understand that the pace of dinner should be different for a family with young diners.

Our children grew up dining at the nicer spots at WDW while on vacation . They have wonderful memories and often tried new things while at WDW. I think CG is actually an easy place to broaden tastes. Easy to order a flatbread or appetizer to share in addition to a child's meal. The current menu on Deb's site shows a cheese pizza (one of my sons used to order a child's pizza at CG), steak, chicken breast , mac and cheese, fish and FF, etc.. I think most kids could find something although each family is different. We have a nephew who would only eat hot dogs for a while! That was it...nothing else!

Oh, somewhere I saw a picture from the CG of the cutest dessert designed for children. Really darling. If a restaurant goes to that much trouble with a child's dessert it's obvious that the restaurant welcomes children.

Thanks all, we have decided to bring the kids with us. I know my two girls will flip for the fireworks, and I would feel too guilty going without them. So CG it is fireworks and all!!!

I know the menu sounds like the kids will like it, but just be warned...the pizza is not the typical pizza they are used to and I don't believe the mac and cheese was the same either. But give it a try, it just turned out that with our case, the kids food was kind of a waste of money. But they did enjoy the fireworks from the balcony afterward!

I agree with all the folks who said yes! We took our 10 yr old DD in July and we're going back next month. She loved it! My DH is a wanabe Chef and he and DD walked over by the kitchen area while we were waiting to be seated. Chef Jonathan asked them if they had any questions and DH asked if they could have a tour of the kitchen. Guess what? He said yes! We're lucky our DD is not to picky about what she eats, and if memory serves me you can get chicken fingers, mac & cheese, etc. for the little ones. Enjoy the fireworks too!:wave:

Glad you're going to try it. We love CG. We'll be there 11/22 and I can't wait!

Jillpie is right that the kid's meals aren't typical. For instance, the chicken breast and steak come with roasted potatoes and green beans not french fries. The cheese on the pizza isn't mozzarella but rather provolone. But still mild flavors for kids palates and a nice break from chicken tenders or burgers and FF.

Hey, I think you should bring your children...there are usually plenty of them at CG (especially on a fireworks night). My only caveat and this is true of any fine dining establishment...if they misbehave...take them out. That's what my parents did and when I calmed down and decided to behave....I was allowed to come back. Pity the parent who had to deal with me and wait while their dinner got cold. Now don't flame me....personally I just don't think that a misbehaving child should be all of our problems. Here's my real vent (no flames please) but I'm not going to give up my seat at the bar or my place on the catwalk for someone's children either (believe me...people expect this!)

Go for it. If they are used to eating in nice places and are well behaved you should have no problem at all. When DS now 12 and DD now 8 were in that age range we never limited our dining becasue they were small we just took them with us and they knew how to behave. We always enjoyed ourselves and so did the kids. While I could now take them anywhere, including V&A I would still refrain becasue of cost as well as knowing they would be thinking of all the other things they could be doing other than having this dinner! CG offers a great view, which I'm certain they will enjoy and excellent food. With the timing you have the fireworks view should be spectacular. GO ENJOY! :Pinkbounc

I also had similar concerns on our last trip. I did bring my 2 children and they loved it. My ds especially loved the "sushi" dessert.

Bring them, you won't regret it.

Doesney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter