• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

California Grill now buffet -now verified?

There's another thread on this - appears it is all a website error where the NYE menu was loaded in and showed up as the normal menu. CG cast members apparently were posting on FB that there is no change to the dinner menu. Thank God.

That would make more sense.
The peppermint flavoured desserts made me think it might be a holiday event menu.

Interesting that the couple of menu items that are priced don't feel to me like the most expensive options, if that was to be presented as an upgrade fee...

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...menu-has-been-changed-to-a-buffet-style-meal/

Does this mean that someone here has actually confirmed that this is a change taking place? Or is this just still speculation - because people are taking this article as truth.

wdwinfo has taken the article, in which they made the unconfirmed claim that Cali Grill switched to a buffet menu, down. wdwinfo has now switched out the buffet menu for crow . . . I sincerely hope no one cancelled their reservations based on that article.

I was secretly hoping for a new menu but certainly not a buffet. I haven't had a great experience at the CG the last three visits so it is officially off my list until they rework the menu. Not sure what is happening in that kitchen but they should go take a look at what the Flying Fish and Jiko are doing. Some seriously inspired dishes coming out of their kitchens...CG is too prime of a spot not to have the highest quality food and service each and every time. Sorry a bit off topic but glad to see it isn't a full-time buffet.

wdwinfo has taken the article, in which they made the unconfirmed claim that Cali Grill switched to a buffet menu, down. wdwinfo has now switched out the buffet menu for crow . . . I sincerely hope no one cancelled their reservations based on that article.

I understand that wdwinfo was one of a few sites that reported the menu change, but it was based on information posted on the Disney site. If I was just a regular guest who was looking at reservation times and menus for various Disney restaurants, I would think my best source is disney.com. If I looked at California Grill and saw what appeared to be a buffet-style menu for dinner, I would assume that was correct. While we all know that you shouldn't jump to conclusions, I think we can all agree that Disney has a history of being less than accurate with menus and other information posted on Disney sites. But not every guest knows that. Maybe Disney should be a little better about posting accurate information and posting timely updates to its site. Maybe then we wouldn't rely so heavily on fan sites and blogs for the real story.

I'm guessing the article finally got Disney to address the issue and fix their site.

I'm relieved that it was indeed an error. A buffet, regardless of how nice, is not my idea of signatures dining :)

I understand that wdwinfo was one of a few sites that reported the menu change, but it was based on information posted on the Disney site. If I was just a regular guest who was looking at reservation times and menus for various Disney restaurants, I would think my best source is disney.com. If I looked at California Grill and saw what appeared to be a buffet-style menu for dinner, I would assume that was correct. While we all know that you shouldn't jump to conclusions, I think we can all agree that Disney has a history of being less than accurate with menus and other information posted on Disney sites. But not every guest knows that. Maybe Disney should be a little better about posting accurate information and posting timely updates to its site. Maybe then we wouldn't rely so heavily on fan sites and blogs for the real story.

I bolded above precisely why wdwinfo should never have reported this as fact. You shouldn't jump to conclusions. We can agree Disney has a history of being less than accurate and not every GUEST knows that. wdwinfo is not a guest. They have been in this game long enough to know that Disney's site is notorious for having incorrect postings and glitches on the menu webpages (remember the menu postings prior to the BOG breakfast announcement?). While you can take this info and SPECULATE something might be happening, to post this as fact before an actual release or announcement from Disney is irresponsible. Yes, Disney should be more accurate (their IT is a nightmare), but reporters have a responsibility to get confirmation prior to reporting something as fact. Before pulling the article down, they claimed they tried to get confirmation of the menu twice and, when they couldn't get it, they simply reported it anyway. They also posted the article after WDW Today confirmed it was an error on the page. It was just plain silly to run this article in the first place.

This is what happens when people who aren't journalists try to report the news... Check your facts before going to print, folks. Hopefully, nobody cancelled their dinner reservations based on the article.

I was thinking about it but was definitely waiting for more info.

I was secretly hoping for a new menu but certainly not a buffet. I haven't had a great experience at the CG the last three visits so it is officially off my list until they rework the menu. Not sure what is happening in that kitchen but they should go take a look at what the Flying Fish and Jiko are doing. Some seriously inspired dishes coming out of their kitchens...CG is too prime of a spot not to have the highest quality food and service each and every time. Sorry a bit off topic but glad to see it isn't a full-time buffet.

Really?

When we went in July we were told that their menu changes with the seasons. As as they have some kind of filet mignon - I am a happy camper. :)

Had excellent service & the food was delicious!

In my humble opinion, this is the best restaurant on property hands down.

I bolded above precisely why wdwinfo should never have reported this as fact. You shouldn't jump to conclusions. We can agree Disney has a history of being less than accurate and not every GUEST knows that. wdwinfo is not a guest. They have been in this game long enough to know that Disney's site is notorious for having incorrect postings and glitches on the menu webpages (remember the menu postings prior to the BOG breakfast announcement?). While you can take this info and SPECULATE something might be happening, to post this as fact before an actual release or announcement from Disney is irresponsible. Yes, Disney should be more accurate (their IT is a nightmare), but reporters have a responsibility to get confirmation prior to reporting something as fact. Before pulling the article down, they claimed they tried to get confirmation of the menu twice and, when they couldn't get it, they simply reported it anyway. They also posted the article after WDW Today confirmed it was an error on the page. It was just plain silly to run this article in the first place.

You're right...as a fan site, wdwinfo shouldn't have posted this change without getting some type of solid confirmation from Disney. I guess I'm just saying that if I had looked at the CG dinner menu on disney.com and saw a buffet-style menu, I probably would have assumed it was correct and that was the new dinner format. I guess I'm also cutting the fan sites a little bit of slack because I (and other guests) might have fallen into the same trap. I don't consider these sites as having "reporters" per se, so maybe that's why I'm less upset than others about the mix-up. I just take it all with a grain of salt and assume there is some amount of misinformation on every site.

Actually it's a pretty BIG mistake on Disney's part - but that's not uncommon these days. :(

Really?

When we went in July we were told that their menu changes with the seasons. As as they have some kind of filet mignon - I am a happy camper. :)

Had excellent service & the food was delicious!

In my humble opinion, this is the best restaurant on property hands down.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed you most recent visit. For me, the CG of old was a real treat and a wonderful dining experience. Of late, I have found Flying Fish, Jiko, and others to have really upped their game and taken the dining experience to another level.

When CG changes their menu again I will give it another go...hard to beat that view!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter