Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have a bib to offer, but there may still be spots open for travel providers. I know of someone who just got one through Dream Come True Travel (they are an official provider and have a link on the Princess page) if you are willing to consider doing a package. A WISHer works for them--ask for Kim Oehrlein.

If all else fails, there are Clif pace teams, although the pace intervals are rather large. Or you may be able to find another WISHer who will run pace with you. What pace are you shooting for? Are you a runner or run/walker?

FOUND A BIB!!! Thanks for all of your input. I am pacing on long runs 13 to 13.50 minute mile. I'm a snail. I am in the middle of training and slowly getting fast each run. I am by no means a "runner" I rather Zumba my way to the finish line but since this is a bucket list item I thought it was time to check it off!

This is an off topic post but I have a reservation on 2/22 at 6:20 pm for 4 for Be Our Guest - plan to cancel and wanted to see if anyone here wanted it before I post on the cancellation board. Pm me if interested in coordinating.

9 miles done today :) 11:33 minute miles (exactly what I was aiming for). I kept a mostly 3:1 run/walk but ran more towards the end

78 days left!

Just found this thread! I'll be running! It's my first half marathon and my first disney run! So excited.

Just found this thread! I'll be running! It's my first half marathon and my first disney run! So excited.

Welcome, fellow close-by Michigander (I'm in Beverly Hills). Good luck with your training. I see you did the Cruise in Shoes in August. So did I. It was neat to run on Woodward, although I wasn't expecting the grass at the end.

And I love the nickname Stormy--that episode with James Corden was a lot of fun.

Added a night onto my plans so now I will stay on Sunday evening. Got my flight changed, now to decide on park ticket. Think I will wait until after I sign up to volunteer and see what slots I get. Does anyone know when they will open up volunteer registration?

I ran my 7 miles on the TM this morning. :crazy2:

Question for those with previous rD experience. What percentage of runners wear costumes? I was totally sure I wanted to wear a running outfit that would be modified to resemble a princess with a tutu as well. As we get closer, I am starting to wonder if I really want to do it or not. I'm leaning towards only one of the two GSC races (probably shorter 10k) but I don't want to feel like I'm the only one who didn't dress up for the party;). I'm still a newbie. I probably won't train all the way to 13.1 due to injury, so I'm just worried the costume will be an unnecessary complication come race day(s). Any previous first timers wear a costume and feel like it was either a big mistake, or totally no problem?

Question for those with previous rD experience. What percentage of runners wear costumes? I was totally sure I wanted to wear a running outfit that would be modified to resemble a princess with a tutu as well. As we get closer, I am starting to wonder if I really want to do it or not. I'm leaning towards only one of the two GSC races (probably shorter 10k) but I don't want to feel like I'm the only one who didn't dress up for the party;). I'm still a newbie. I probably won't train all the way to 13.1 due to injury, so I'm just worried the costume will be an unnecessary complication come race day(s). Any previous first timers wear a costume and feel like it was either a big mistake, or totally no problem?

You will see some full out costumes, some just with theme shirts and others just in shorts and tees. You should feel comfortable in what ever you decide to wear...you won't be out of place without a costume. I am not wearing a costume this year, but I may make a shirt with something like "triple crown" as I am running all three races. And I have never trained to 13 miles...mostly to just 10 miles.

ITA with joan4mickey - you'll see everything from full, elaborate costumes to regular running clothes, and everything in between. You'll also hear from people who did the elaborate costume and had NO problems, as well as folks who ditched most parts of their costumes within the first mile. It's totally a trial and error and personal comfort question... which is why my advice is to try whatever you're considering on a longish run. :thumbsup2

Personally, I'm hyper-sensitive to things bouncing/fluttering/tugging/scratching/poking/etc. so full-blown costumes are out the window. I'm planning on my usual gear with a themed shirt and a Sparkle Athletic skirt, which I'll pin to whatever I wear underneath to ensure it doesn't ride up and drive me batty like it did in this year's PHM. :rotfl:

My only runDisney race was the DL 10K, and there were a mix of costumes and regular running clothes. Hard to say what percentage, but everyone fit in! I wore regular running clothes (blue lole skort and pink athleta tank) with a pink sparkly soul headband.

For the PHM weekend 5K I'm wearing a belle running costume from iglow running on etsy because it's a short distance and I'm running with our three boys - one of whom is just 6 years old! He runs a 5K in 39 minutes and will be dressed as Beast, so no worries about my costume getting in the way of my estimated finish time! For the PHM, I have the same concerns that you do. I don't want to worry about a costume - I'll probably wear either a pink or purple tank with either a skort or compression shorts, and I'm definitely wearing the sparkly soul headband!

As for training, I've trained to 11 miles and we'll see what happens for the PHM, but I'm comfortable with what I've done so far.

9 miles done today :) 11:33 minute miles (exactly what I was aiming for). I kept a mostly 3:1 run/walk but ran more towards the end

78 days left!

78 days!!! THAT Makes it seem so real!! Hard to believe its less than 90 now. It is really flying by.

Welcome, fellow close-by Michigander (I'm in Beverly Hills). Good luck with your training. I see you did the Cruise in Shoes in August. So did I. It was neat to run on Woodward, although I wasn't expecting the grass at the end.

And I love the nickname Stormy--that episode with James Corden was a lot of fun.

The Cruise in Shoes was my first 5k! It was pretty fun, but yea, that grass at the end had me terrified! I'm sort of a klutz...:rotfl:

Hehe, thanks! It was such a cute episode, my husband and I cracked up when he was translating for the baby.

Help!

I jammed my big toe tripping on the stairs, and it hurts like the dickens. No swelling or bruising, thank goodness. I tried to run/walk this morning on the treadmill, but it hurt; so I did 10 miles on the stationary bike instead just to get some exercise in. Zero pain with that, and I may go do another 10 miles later this evening. Resting with it elevated and ice today. Note: It doesn't hurt to walk around normally unless I bump my toe into something. Oh, the joys of being a klutz.:upsidedow

Is there any other things I can do trainingwise until this gets better? I'm already having bad dreams about getting swept, and race weekend is coming up quick!

Help!

I jammed my big toe tripping on the stairs, and it hurts like the dickens. No swelling or bruising, thank goodness. I tried to run/walk this morning on the treadmill, but it hurt; so I did 10 miles on the stationary bike instead just to get some exercise in. Zero pain with that, and I may go do another 10 miles later this evening. Resting with it elevated and ice today. Note: It doesn't hurt to walk around normally unless I bump my toe into something. Oh, the joys of being a klutz.:upsidedow

Is there any other things I can do trainingwise until this gets better? I'm already having bad dreams about getting swept, and race weekend is coming up quick!

Don't worry--it will heal and you will have plenty of time to resume training. In the meantime, cycling is good. If you're at a gym, can you try and elliptical? Since you're not landing on the foot, maybe it will be okay with that.

I broke my toe in June and managed to run with it after about a week. Hope yours heals quickly.

I was recently sidelined from training with a mild knee injury. I was doing the Galloway plan and the last long run I completed was 6 miles. I'm not sure how to pick back up with training. If I jump in where I should be I'm afraid of injury but I don't want to be too far behind either. Any tips?

I really hate o bring this up, but we will have magic bands the weekend of the half. Do we check them with our bags or wear them during the race?

I was recently sidelined from training with a mild knee injury. I was doing the Galloway plan and the last long run I completed was 6 miles. I'm not sure how to pick back up with training. If I jump in where I should be I'm afraid of injury but I don't want to be too far behind either. Any tips?

Depending on how much time you lost, I would strongly recommend NOT jumping in to the "current" week of your program. It;s too much of a mileage boost. Better to pick back up where you left off at the lower mileage and just not hit peak mileage and full taper.

You might want to PM Coach (cewait) with your specifics. He is good at providing sound advice on things like this.

This is an off topic post but I have a reservation on 2/22 at 6:20 pm for 4 for Be Our Guest - plan to cancel and wanted to see if anyone here wanted it before I post on the cancellation board. Pm me if interested in coordinating.

Hi There! I just discovered this thread. Have you cancelled already or found someone else to take it? Thanks!

I really hate o bring this up, but we will have magic bands the weekend of the half. Do we check them with our bags or wear them during the race?

I plan on wearing mine. We'll just have to wait and see if that is a good decision or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter