Campground recommendations near Badlands, Glacier

lynzi2004

DIS Veteran
Planning a trip to Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower and Glacier next summer. We are tent campers and I’m looking for a good campground that would be an in between location for Badlands and Mt Rushmore. Although we love the amenities when at Ft. Wilderness, when in the national parks we definitely prefer rustic so not looking for a KOA. Thinking something more in the national forest. If anyone has any good recommendations I would appreciate it. I’m also trying to decide which campground to stay in at Glacier so if anyone has experience there, let me know. This would be for a trip late July 2022.
Thanks!

I was just over on RV.net Good Sam forum and saw a near identical thread that might help you too. We did a day trip of a Glacier in 2019, but stayed down at the KOA (actually a very nice one) at Flathead Lake as we spent time at the lake and Kalispel.

We are going in June. First trip out there. Staying in Rapid City at Black Hills KOA. 3 nights. Heard good things on it, but no first hand info.

Not exactly what you're looking for.

I use RV Parky app, look into it. Really cool.

Planning a trip to Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower and Glacier next summer. We are tent campers and I’m looking for a good campground that would be an in between location for Badlands and Mt Rushmore. Although we love the amenities when at Ft. Wilderness, when in the national parks we definitely prefer rustic so not looking for a KOA. Thinking something more in the national forest. If anyone has any good recommendations I would appreciate it. I’m also trying to decide which campground to stay in at Glacier so if anyone has experience there, let me know. This would be for a trip late July 2022.
Thanks!

We have stayed several times at Custer’s Gulch Campground. This beautiful quiet and nice park is outside Custer, and away from road noise. Custer’s Gulch campground borders Custer State Park. Off the road, and no highway noise and easy to access. Book early.

If you are looking for Natl Forest, there is ample dispersed camping in the Buffalo Gap Natl Grassland (Forest Service runs it) and Black Hills Natl Forest. I think there are also campgrounds too, but we stayed in Black Hills NF off the main highway into Keystone for several nights a few years ago and enjoyed the solitude and convenience. We also plan to spend a few nights at Nomad View (Buffalo Gap NG) south of Wall overlooking the Badlands this summer.

We have stayed several times at Custer’s Gulch Campground. This beautiful quiet and nice park is outside Custer, and away from road noise. Custer’s Gulch campground borders Custer State Park. Off the road, and no highway noise and easy to access. Book early.

DELETE THIS POST. nobody needs to hear about the Gulch or CSP, it is not worth the trip, stay out of the area,, nothing to see in Custer

We are going in June. First trip out there. Staying in Rapid City at Black Hills KOA. 3 nights. Heard good things on it, but no first hand info.

Many stays at RC-KOA, huge campground, lots to do, for three years the kids chose RC over Disney, if you are into hiking, the black hills national forest is fantastic and pet friendly (important to Gizmo)

IMG_0393.JPG

We did just about the same trip with our trailer in '16, but we also went to Yellowstone. Stayed at Cedar Pass CG in Badlands (basic NPS campground, RV sites have electricity but tent sites do not). Stayed at Game Lodge CG in Custer SP (both electric and non-electric sites available). Custer SP is pretty local to everything. Be sure you visit the Crazy Horse Memorial (work in progress) as well as Rushmore.

We've stayed at St Mary (east side) and Apgar (west side) at Glacier. Again, nice but your basic NPS CG. St Mary was reservable, Apgar was 1st come/1st serve but there were plenty of sites available when we showed up (this was in late June). A lot of things have changed with the NPS as far as 1st come/1st served CG, so be sure you check to see if you need reservations. And they will go FAST if you do. We also stayed at the West Glacier KOA. It was a wonderful park and we really loved it. Not sure about tent sites there though.

Stayed at the Happy Holidays Rv Resort south of Rapid City on 16 this year in June for a week. Had some road noise and the sites were close with shared covered picnic tables for every 2 sites. Most were pull through sites and you would pull in from opposite directions. We have a 39 foot 5th wheel and did have to park our truck sideways partially in the lane to fit. Was very clean though and put you in between a lot of the different things to do which was important to us. We didnt mind the shared picnic sites as we were a group of 7 trailers. If your traveling by yourselves would definitely get to know your new neighbors.

We have visited this area twice.

Devil's Tower-I would most definitely stay at the Devil's Tower/Black Hills KOA. You are right beside Devil's Tower. You can explore Devil's Tower, and then walk back to your rv. It took my husband and me an hour or two to walk around Devil's Tower. We then relaxed at our rv and enjoyed the view. This is out in the middle of nowhere, so it's a great place to relax and do some laundry if you have downtime.

Glacier-We stayed inside the park on the east side at St. Mary's Campground. No hook-ups. There was a place to dump and get fresh water close to the campground. St. Mary's was within walking distance of the shuttle and a visitor's center (there was wi-fi at the visitor's center). I would take the shuttle and not drive. The park was PACKED, and people were often turned away from parking areas due to lack of parking spaces. Plus, the roads are very narrow and windy. We didn't (but if I want back, I would) camp a few days on the east side of the park and a few days on the west side. It is quite a drive from one side of the park to the next.

Badlands-we stayed outside the park. Near Wall Drug. There were two or three campgrounds in the area. None of them were great, but adequate for a night.

Mt. Rushmore-one time we stayed at a private campground, maybe a KOA, which was nice. The last time we were there, we stayed in Custer State Park. We had electric hook-ups. We were close to a dump and water station. there were clean showers here, too. The park was great, and the campground was clean. In addition to Mt. Rushmore, I would suggest you visit Crazy Horse monument. We liked this better than Mt. Rushmore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter