Camping at Dry Tortugas National Park?

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
Has anyone camped at this super-out-of-the-way spot? I've read numerous blogs online, but I have some questions that I'd like to talk about with someone who's actually been to Dry Tortugas:

- What time of year would you recommend? We're two adults and can travel any time of year.
- How many nights would you stay?
- Did you catch fish? What kind?
- I read the ferry's website. Any hints beyond what they have to say?
- I have a hard time stomaching $32/day to park in the ferry's lot. Any suggestions on how to save on parking?
- I've read that rats make it difficult to keep food secure. Do they "attack" only at night, or is food relatively safe during the day? We would leave our camp unattended for a portion of the day -- would rats come into our camp while we're away?
- We'll have a cooler -- just a plain old Coleman /no latch to keep it closed -- if we leave a camp chair on top of the cooler, will this keep rats from lifting the lid? Maybe a camp chair attached to the cooler with a bungee cord? I'm thinking rats don't have the intellect to plan, "Chew the bungee cord, move the chair, lift the lid, and finally all that food'll be ours. Bru-ha-ha, go hungry, Humans!"
- Everyone seems to recommend packing in plastic tubs -- okay, I have a big one that's not precious to me -- but I also have some metal tins that once held Christmas popcorn. I'm thinking of packing bread, chips, cookies inside those tins /putting the tins into a big plastic tub. And I'm going to choose snacks that come in plastic containers instead of bags. I'm thinking the other camp chair could serve as a weight for our plastic tub lid. Does this sound pretty reasonable? I know that rats CAN gnaw through plastic, but would they smell food through plastic + tin?
- I read that rats dislike mothballs. What if I spread mothballs around the tub and the cooler? Would this discourage rats? I read that they hate peppermint oil, but that sounds less feasible.
- Each campsite includes a pole for hanging food -- am I wrong to think the plastic tub+tin is superior to hanging food? I don't own a rat-proof food bag, and I'm trying to avoid buying one.
- The websites talk about extra-long tent poles to hold up to the wind. I have no experience with this and would love to hear anything anyone has to say.
- Any other suggestions for camping at Dry Tortugas?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide advice!

Last edited:
Has anyone camped at this super-out-of-the-way spot? I've read numerous blogs online, but I have some questions that I'd like to talk about with someone who's actually been to Dry Tortugas:

- What time of year would you recommend? We're two adults and can travel any time of year.
- How many nights would you stay?
- Did you catch fish? What kind?
- I read the ferry's website. Any hints beyond what they have to say?
- I have a hard time stomaching $32/day to park in the ferry's lot. Any suggestions on how to save on parking?
- I've read that rats make it difficult to keep food secure. Do they "attack" only at night, or is food relatively safe during the day? We would leave our camp unattended for a portion of the day -- would rats come into our camp while we're away?
- We'll have a cooler -- just a plain old Coleman /no latch to keep it closed -- if we leave a camp chair on top of the cooler, will this keep rats from lifting the lid? Maybe a camp chair attached to the cooler with a bungee cord? I'm thinking rats don't have the intellect to plan, "Chew the bungee cord, move the chair, lift the lid, and finally all that food'll be ours. Bru-ha-ha, go hungry, Humans!"
- Everyone seems to recommend packing in plastic tubs -- okay, I have a big one that's not precious to me -- but I also have some metal tins that once held Christmas popcorn. I'm thinking of packing bread, chips, cookies inside those tins /putting the tins into a big plastic tub. And I'm going to choose snacks that come in plastic containers instead of bags. I'm thinking the other camp chair could serve as a weight for our plastic tub lid. Does this sound pretty reasonable? I know that rats CAN gnaw through plastic, but would they smell food through plastic + tin?
- I read that rats dislike mothballs. What if I spread mothballs around the tub and the cooler? Would this discourage rats? I read that they hate peppermint oil, but that sounds less feasible.
- Each campsite includes a pole for hanging food -- am I wrong to think the plastic tub+tin is superior to hanging food? I don't own a rat-proof food bag, and I'm trying to avoid buying one.
- The websites talk about extra-long tent poles to hold up to the wind. I have no experience with this and would love to hear anything anyone has to say.
- Any other suggestions for camping at Dry Tortugas?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide advice!

MrsPete, I have not camped there but I have looked hard at doing so - it's on my bucket list. We have taken the ferry out there and done the day trip (10 yrs ago) so we did snorkel, take the tour, and I did walk around the campground area thinking about a future campout.

The kids at the sign and below that me and the kids snorkeling in the ferry-provided gear:

DSC06032.JPG

Personally I would think of going in this time of year or any time November to February. It would be a one-night trip for me.

As for parking, there is a city parking deck just a block away but it shows $40 a day. Parking is a problem in Key West, land is expensive, it's part of the charm.

I can't speak to the rats but I do have experience with racoons. Those varmints in campgrounds are pretty savvy since they have a new crop of guests nearly every single day. They associate humans with food and they don't need to smell it. They'll just go through all your stuff puncturing/biting every packet or bag to check if something tasty is inside. Not saying they would walk up and take food out of your hands. But the minute the campground is empty (no humans around) they could come out. They aren't just nocturnal. If you make it tough for them, they'll move on to your neighbor and try to get their food.

The tin cans might be enough of a deterrent. Duck tape the lid would be my advice.

Since I would do just an over-nighter, I would take food that requires no cooking. Canned, snacks, etc. Looking at the camping info from the ferry website, the black rubber maid action packer with the snap down handles THAT YOU CAN PUT A LOCK ON BOTH HANDLES would be sufficient for my food. The poles with the hook up high would be my second choice. I wouldn't trust moth balls or peppermint oil to work.

When you say "tent poles" for high winds do you mean "tent stakes"? To secure the corners of a tent? That I could understand. If bad conditions came up, yes I could see the need. Don't want your tent to blow away. You could put your water container inside as additional weight. I have corkscrew stakes that I use on my EZ up with compression straps if needed that would do the job. I'm sure if I didn't plan for possible high wind conditions in SOME way, with my luck I would have high winds on my trip.

Two things about doing this trip that I think about. 1) How much water/food do I want to bring? Having camped in climates where I had to carry all my own water for 24 hrs use make me consider if I want to do one night or more and how I want to cook/eat. Time of year might impact water usage (hot summer months you may go through the water faster staying hydrated). And 2) where to "stage" from. The boat leaves early in the morning which means finding a place to stay the night before departure and night after return that's close to KW (although you could drive out of the Keys to the mainland on the return). You could hotel or rv or tent camp some more but that requires lead time, more money, and planning.

Also be aware there are a handful of designated camp sites IIRC and then an overflow site (out in the open, no hook, no picnic table, no nothing. They don't turn anyone away but some of the sites are fairly close to your neighbors in the scrub and trees so you roll the dice hoping you have quiet, considerate, pleasant neighbors.

Those are my thoughts. I've considered it (and semi-planned it in my mind). Would be great if someone whose done it chimes in.

Bama Ed

PS - it REALLY feels like the end of the earth out there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on dates. My husband is already retired, and I'm only months away from retirement, so we have flexibility on our side. I was thinking of April or May -- with your comment in mind, I'm inclined to go with early April -- just a little later than you recommended.

You've confirmed what I already feared: parking is just gonna be expensive. Bummer.

Did you see raccoons on Dry Tortuga, or are you saying you've had experience with them elsewhere? Yes, I know they're destructive little buggers.

Off-topic, but we had a raccoon problem last summer: a storm blew our chimney cap off the roof, and we were slow about getting it back up. I thought we had a bird in our chimney -- we heard it moving around, etc. After about two days of hearing the bird, I opened the damper, stuck my head in to the chimney -- and I found myself about 6" from an adolescent raccoon! I backed up FAST. I read online that mother raccoons like to put their babies into chimneys because they can't get out /are safe while mom's away getting food. I ordered some male raccoon urine online (very expensive, plus I over-nighted it), put it on a rag and shoved it up above the damper -- mama got her baby out in a big hurry. And we got up on the roof and replaced that chimney cap.

Back to the point, I suspect you're right when you say these specific animals have learned that humans = food, and they don't need to smell it; that makes total sense. I'm interested in the "action packer" with locking handles -- I will look into that. I'm still interested in the moth balls as an additional deterrent -- not as a primary "not my food". I thought about duct tape for the metal canisters, but I think that'd be fairly easy to chew away. It might be enough to send them on to the next campsight?

I own a very nice metal campbox /chuckbox, and it does have a hasp for a lock (though we usually just put a stick through it), BUT it only has one closure at the top/center, and I think it would be easy-peasy for a rat to go in through the sides. I have no way to better close those sides. BUT if I could fit several metal tins into it, then it might be a good choice too.

Yes, I meant tent stakes. Bringing water into the tent is a great idea -- it'd take an awful lot of wind to blow away a gallon of water.

I have considered the "how much" question, and I read that you want to bring an extra day's worth of supplies because SOMETIMES the ferry is delayed by bad weather. I wouldn't want to risk it, and we always eat a lot when we're outside -- more than we eat at home. I read that you can leave unused supplies in a box by the bathhouse when you leave -- I'd rather bring too much and leave a surprise for someone else than to be hungry or thirsty.

Yes, I'd also considered the from-whence-will-we-stage? concept too. We're several states away, so I don't have the luxury of prepping in my own kitchen and heading out to the campsite. I'm thinking this'll be the end of a trip that will involve 2-3 stops, and I'm going to make sure the last stop is a place with at least a kitchenette. That'll allow us to do a grocery store trip /prep our things well.

I read about the overflow sites, and (being whiney here) I don't want to stay in one. This is an expensive trip, a trip that requires a lot of planning -- and I'd be upset to be placed in this "lesser" campsite. But what to do about it? The only thing I know is to travel at a less-popular time.

Thanks for the information. I value it a great deal!

You're welcome.

As for staging, IIRC the boat leaves the pier at 8am and the camper folks are among the first to board and have your stuff inspected so you can't just blow in at 755am and heave your gear onto the boat. So you need to stay down near KW the night before. I've been down there 3X (hotel, camper, Boy Scouts) and it's expensive and requires pre-planning to book a camper site (the way I would travel) well in advance. And then what to do. I've resigned myself to leaving my camper set up at the campground and just taking my tow vehicle down to the dock for a trip to Dry Tortugas. That means paying for parking and also paying for the camper to sit empty for a night. But what to do with it otherwise? :confused3 If you're driving and not towing, then a place close in with a kitchenette would be good (cabin, hotel room, or rented trailer maybe).

April would be better for snorkeling in warmer water than January, to be sure. That was cool when we did it. I'm no fisherman but I would think it would be great. There is a sea wall about 10 feet out from the Fort Jefferson walls that you can walk on that takes you out into a little deeper water (lagoon toward the wall on one side, deeper water on the other). I'm just not a fish whisperer.

I'll do a night at Dry Tortugas some time before I die.

Bama Ed

PS - one hint I will give is that in KW, Fort Zachary Taylor is an under-rated gem. It is a state park with an old 1800s fort like Fort Jefferson. But it's a day park on the beach and it has restrooms, food/concessions, picnic tables and charcoal grills amongst some nice trees. And rentable snorkel gear. It's next to the cruise ship channel so there is stuff to watch as the ships come in and out. You have to pay a minor fee for the car and per person (skip the fort imo) but if you want a KW beach to relax on, I would recommend Fort ZachT over other public KW beaches like Mathers. That's IF you want more beach time before/after DryT. But it really is nice. Plus the sunset activities down around Mallory Square.

PPS - saw no racoons nor rats at DryT.

Last edited:

They inspect your gear? I guess that's to be sure you're not bringing inappropriate items -- which I would not do.

No, we don't have a camper. Everything in the Keys is so expensive! I've tentatively chosen a tiny small studio apartment about 20 miles out of Key West, which is only $100/night -- not ideal, but we can get up super early for the savings. It does have a kitchenette, so we'd be able to do our camp-food prep. That'd be home a day or two, then we'd leave it /go to Dry Tortuga afterward.

My husband IS a fish whisperer, so he will definitely check out the deeper water.

I was looking at Fort Zachary Taylor today online, and I said to myself, "It looks so much like Fort Jefferson." You're saying the park is worthwhile, but no the fort? Because it's so much like the other fort?

Thanks again for the advice.

They inspect your gear? I guess that's to be sure you're not bringing inappropriate items -- which I would not do.

No, we don't have a camper. Everything in the Keys is so expensive! I've tentatively chosen a tiny small studio apartment about 20 miles out of Key West, which is only $100/night -- not ideal, but we can get up super early for the savings. It does have a kitchenette, so we'd be able to do our camp-food prep. That'd be home a day or two, then we'd leave it /go to Dry Tortuga afterward.

My husband IS a fish whisperer, so he will definitely check out the deeper water.

I was looking at Fort Zachary Taylor today online, and I said to myself, "It looks so much like Fort Jefferson." You're saying the park is worthwhile, but no the fort? Because it's so much like the other fort?

Thanks again for the advice.

They say they inspect your gear. I'm a backpacker as well as an rv/trailer camper and I have/use a compressed gas stove (a JetBoil-it's fantastic for freeze dried food). But those are not allowed on the ferry. And there is probably more not allowed. :rolleyes:

With regards to Fort Zach-vs-Jeff, we have some old brick 1800's era forts on the Alabama Gulf Coast (Ft Gaines and Ft Morgan). If you've seen one, you've seen them all. At Fort Jeff, the NPS Rangers give a tour which is worth while. Fort Zach, while it served a purpose, did not have a distinct purpose like Jeff (housed Samuel Mudd). And Jeff is in the middle of nowhere, as I said which presented its own challenges. And why it's named "Dry Tortugas".

Dry Tortugas is a unique place and I hope you do it, MrsPete. I can only imagine how quiet the place gets when the ferry boat backs away from the dock to head back to KW after lunch. I'd like to have the campground to myself then and watch the sun set way out over Loggerhead Key to the west and maybe walk out to Bush/Long Key to the east in the morning if the tides cooperate. And then wait for the ferry boat to come back. You're really "disconnected" out there which is a feeling that we all need from time to time.

Sounds like you're forming a plan. Good. :thumbsup2

Bama Ed

PS - Fort Zach is a nice place to spend a day at just relaxing, sunning, eating, and swimming.

PPS - when you take the ferry to Fort Jefferson, folks have three options once you dock. You can eat the lunch included in your ferry fee, get snorkel gear and swim off the camper's beach, or go into the Fort and take the NPS tour. There is time to do all three (in a sort of rotation) so there is not right/wrong thing to choose first (we were hungry :rolleyes: ). But there are several push-carts on the dock for campers to put their gear in off the boat and wheel/push it over to the camping area (the carts are like big square/flat wheel barrows). Which would be a 4th option/time for us campers.

Last edited:
Yes, I read that they recommend match-light charcoal in their grills -- not something we usually stock around our house, but it sounds fine. We will want a hot dinner. We also have nice camp stoves, but I'm not the person who'd try to sneak in contraband.

We have seen the old brick forts in Puerto Rico, which I think might be of the same era.

Yes, your description of quiet-watching-the-boat-pull-away-island-to-ourselves is exactly what I want! Now to choose dates and make reservations.

Thanks so much for all your help.

For the cooler a nice strap around it would work. Not the ratchet type, ill get a picture. Plus there good to tie down gear if needed. ( i also use them for my awning on the camper and tie them onto the screw stakes).

For the cooler a nice strap around it would work. Not the ratchet type, ill get a picture. Plus there good to tie down gear if needed. ( i also use them for my awning on the camper and tie them onto the screw stakes).
I hadn't thought of that. My husband has some, which he uses to tie things down in the back of his truck -- but the rats wouldn't try to chew through them?

I think its better then tape, or a chair. Who knows. When I had the pop up , animals would get into coolers. But mine while it had dirty paw prints all over it was never opened.

Okay, good information -- thanks!
I'm thinking that strapping the cooler shut for the ferry ride would be wise as well.

I would also use a small solar motion light, not sure if thats allowed. I would point it under my pop up next to the cooler. Helped to see the steps and surprise any critters. This was only used in areas know to have problems.

When I had the pop up , animals would get into coolers. But mine while it had dirty paw prints all over it was never opened.

Spencer,

Here's a pic from Halloween 2017 Fort trip when I was in the same site in loop 100 that you were in this year.

The racoons left paw prints on my outside cooler during the night but didn't get in. All MrsPete has to do is sprinkle some potato chips on the ground around her neighbor's tent to draw the rodent population's attention elsewhere. :rolleyes1

Bama Ed

Quick thinkin', ya know they woulda been back the next night with a crowbar

If potato chips are too obvious, I recommend the pre-sweetened (sugar) Kool-Aid mix sprinkled around the target tent. It draws the critters but has small particles and are hard to see/find. And you can always sprinkle a track of Kool-Aid to a (third) neighbor's tent to throw suspicion onto someone else.

Not that I have ANY experience with the aforementioned activities. :rolleyes1

Innocent Ed :littleangel:

PS - oh and pack up early in the morning and move your gear over to the dock for when the ferry boat comes in and get it loaded asap to reduce the chances of retaliation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter