camping for 3 weeks!

musicfan

Mouseketeer
We just made reservations for July 2002 -- we'll be tenting in Ft. Wilderness campground for three weeks! My son (15) really, really wanted to do a super long vacation at WDW, and the only way we could afford to do it is camping. I'm psyched, though, because my favorite stay at WDW so far has been the campground -- and we've stayed at deluxes and moderates. I love the restful quiet and the boat to the MK. :p

How can you do it? The place is like an oven in July. I hope you have a great trip but I could never do it. I can't stay off site either. I guess I am just a brat. Remember your rain gear.

That will be fun. I agree it will be hot, but you'll only be in your tent at night. Camping at WDW is actually better than "regular" camping because there are so many places to cool off during the day.

My first trip to WDW was in high school with my bestfriend and her family. We camped at FW for 2 weeks (in an air conditioned pop up, but with 7 of us in there). That was probably similar to what 3 weeks would be now since AK, BB, and a bunch of other stuff wasn't there yet. We had a blast. Have a great time!

The nice thing about FW is that it always seems to be about 10 degrees cooler in the summer than the rest of the world! Take some fans for the evenings and you'll have a great time!

99 days till I go 'home' to FW!

Just stay out really, really late somewhere air-conditioned or at a pool each night. The heat seems to break (a little) around midnight. I can't tent in Florida in the summer though. It is SO hot and humid. My brother air-conditioned his dog house this past year. Maybe you could pick up a small cheap AC unit that you could put in the tent somehow, at least to break that humidity at night. It would be worth looking into. I am jealous of the 3 weeks though. Have fun!

Good for you! Maine summers may not be as hot and humid as Florida, but I'm from Iowa and I have never found Florida to be much different than here at home in the summer.
Fort Wilderness is a great place to stay. Lots of things to do, and because you can take the ferry to the MK it feels like you are really in the middle of everything.
Just watch out for the afternoon 'showers'. At home, if it is sunny in the morning, it will probably be like that all day. Not so in Florida. We got caught a couple of times, not having things under cover.

It actually sounds like a lot of fun and 3 weeks!! Cool...I don't know how I would do though in a tent in the dead of summer in Florida...LOL

Have a great time! :)

I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip. We will be there tent camping in July also - hopefully in the 1500 Loop.

We have camped there in July or August for the last 3 years and have never melted yet -- though we did get a little wet from the rainstorms! But that's the adventure

:D

What is the cost to pitch a tent there? Also, I imagine there is a bathouse or something? Probably a dumb question. Sounds like fun!

We loved our trips to Fort Wilderness. We consider it the best campground in America and would stay there even if we weren't visiting the WDW parks.

There are numerous bathouses with great showers! My DH still remarks on how nice the showers are compared to other campgrounds - very clean and with high water pressure!

It costs about $35 a night (maybe $38) with the AP discount.

Actually, I really like the heat in the summer. It's so crikey cold up here all year! Spending three weeks in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity sounds wonderful, and we can't wait. We just load up on drinks and go for it! In fact, I really don't like to go inside the rides because the air conditioning is so cold.

I think it will be nice to go camping and be certain you won't get cold at night. Last time we camped at WDW it was November, and I got cold in the middle of the night despite my sleeping bag. I just love it when it gets warm enough in the summer in Maine so I don't have to wear my winter PJs. I'll bet I could sleep in my shorts and a T-shirt in Florida this summer! Whoooeee!

Disneydawn: Yes! There are "comfort stations" that includes restrooms, showers, laundry facilities, and ice machines. They're always kept squeaky clean! And there are many of them, so they're never too crowded.

We love FW! It's not like "normal" camping, where you're roughing it! LOL! FW is always rated in the top 5 campgrounds in America! You can't beat the amenities and cleanliness!

I hope you have a blast, but my idea of roughing it is to stay in an economy motel that has no room service!! I hate camping, but I love WDW so much, that if camping was the ONLY way I could go there, I would probably go buy a tent today!!!!! 3 weeks in WDW is my idea of heaven,I am sure you will get to see just about everything!!! Have a great trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter