Can anyone recommend a good sweet wine?

Blondie

~*~*~*~<br><font color=blue>This TF always enjoys
I'd post this on the SB/Recipe Board, but I know it'll get more views here on the CB.

Anyway, I don't like bitter dry wines. I'm interested in a sweet fruity wine.

I know Sangria is fairly sweet. I want one without fizz (carbonation.) Not interested in a Wine Cooler.

I saw a $59.99 bottle of what was called Dessert Wine at Costco called Dolci! Don't want to pay that much since I'll be the only one drinking it!!

Any recommendations?

My favorite wine is the Plantation Blush from Williamsburg Wineries...I don't know if they have a dessert wine but I bet they do and they aren't an arm and a leg to purchase them...I've had the Plantation, Governer's White and Jamestown flavors and although I generally don't like whites or dry's...they are very good!!!!

This may be a little "Out There," but there is a winery called "Piney Woods Wineries" (http://www.neosoft.com/~scholars/piney.htm )and they produce a muscadine-based sweet wine selection.
For more Known wineries... I would try a zinfandel variety and also maybe some ports.
Anything muscadine-based will deliver what you are looking for, if you aren't satisfied with the grape-based True Wines.
-MrsAPalm

Nice to know there are others who share our taste in wine. My wife and I do not like most dry wines and trend to buy from the cheeper end of the cost spectrum.

Riunite Lambrusco may be a good choice. Its does have a hint of fiz, but it is a very tasty sweet wine. Zeller Schwarze Katz is a nice, fiz free, sweet wine. Both of the are very inexpensive.

Luvstiggertoo beat me to it.

Definately go for a Rielsing. I can't stand dry wines and a Riesling is a little sweeter without being sugary (ie. Boones :) )

My favorite Reisling is a Marion Keller bottle, it's only $15, but it's great.

tamie

Get "Late Harvest Riesling", it is really sweet and yummy!
If you were here in Michigan, I could recommend many Michigan wines that are sweet and fabulous. Wines from Northern Michigan are great and most people don't know they exist. There are your more traditional wines and then sweet and fruit wines! Cherry wine (from Michigan cherries) is awesome!

Good luck finding one you like! :)

Kamy

Hey tykes....GMTA!!!

I love the Marion Keller....I just couldn't think of the name when I posted!
There's another one that is really good but I can't think of it. I know I have one at home. I'll have to check the name.

Just a note on Rieslings, not all of them are sweet. There are some dry Rieslings out there.

A White Zinfadel is pretty good too.

Not too far from here are the Amana Colonies, which, in addition to the RadarRanges, are known for some VERY SWEET fruit wines. More like drinking syrup. Some flavors include Peach, Apple, Rhubarb, Dandelion, Raspberry.

If you go halfway down this page, you'll find some of the wineries there . . .
http://www.jeonet.com/amanas/food/index.html

The fruit-wines are sweeter... try a Strawberry White Zinfandel - we used to get a really good one under the "Portico" label... can't find it around here anymore though. If you're not a wine snob, try the Wild Vines brand.

If you want REALLY sweet (like a dessert wine), try the Mogen David Concord Wine.

If you want a red wine that's not so bitter/dry, and good with pasta - try Lambrusco. Not really sweet or fruity, but a nice "light" red wine.

There's a wonderfully sinful chocolate-cherry wine from Denmark (I think it's called Kijafa) that's good for a little sip now & then. Very sweet.

Originally posted by JerseyJanice
Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill?

What a blast from the past! Is it still available?

Our best buzz for a buck was Cold Duck. I think it only cost about $3.00 back around 1979-1980. I used to get my older brother to pick up a bottle for me and my girlfriend and we'd each chip in $1.50! :rolleyes:

Ha ha, Blondie! I knew you'd appreciate that!

Strawberry Hill was the first alcoholic drink I ever threw up on!

And blackberry brandy was # 2. :)

That could be a whole different thread "what was the first alcoholic drink you threw up on!"

I think mine was probably wine, and it was probably Cold Duck! (found out I couldn't drink a whole bottle by myself without getting extremely sick, and having a tremendous hangover the next AM!)

Although, I will say that one of my worst hangovers was from Southern Comfort on the rocks. I don't think I was 100% sober for at least 2 days!

I could NEVER drink like that again, nor do I want to!:eek:

Liebfraumilch! It's my very, very, very favorite! I found that one when I was on vacation at Smith Mountain in Virginia with my sister yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears ago. ;)

Here's the exact name of the Rielsing that I buy (I carry it written down in my purse so I don't forget what it's called)

Marion Keller : Riesling Pies Porter Michaelsberg Auslesle

See why I write it down, I would NEVER remember all that :D

tamie

We had some excellent sweet white wine on our Disney Cruise in April. The server offered it as a more adventurous substitute for our typical white zinfandel.

The winery was "Caymus" and the wine was "Conundrum." I haven't found it locally yet, but when I do, I'll be buying a few bottles, LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter