Can I carry on "Liquid Kids allergy med's"? and a couple other airport questions ?

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Hi everyone...

We are getting ready for our spring break trip.. It's been a while since I have flown with kids in tow for a long time. really... my grandson is 7 and we are going to Disneyland ... and DH and I haven't been on a plane in about 12 months... so Orlando to LAX and LAX to Orlando... non-stop both ways...

Can I carry on kids Liquid Zyrtec allergy medicine?.. I don't want to put in the check bags in case we need it- I have in the past, so is this still okay?

As well once Air-side...
I remember picking up cups of like fresh fruit, grapes are really what I am hoping for... or baby carrots is another choice? my friends just came back from Denver a few weeks ago, and she said that they had like dole fruit cups? but no fresh fruit..... Thoughts?

My grandson is always hungry... so we have a ton of snacks, yet I was hoping for something a little bit better...

so this brings me to last question... is there like a kids meal choice in flight with Delta for purchase, and can someone tell me what it is?

Thanks as always...

Not really your question, but I took grapes in a bag and carried them through security. We had that and PB&J sandwiches to eat on our layover. We didn’t have any issues.
if the meds are under 3 ounces you should have no issue at all. I don’t know how they handle meds over 3 ounces.

Looks like meds over 3.4 ounces are allowed as long as you let the agent know. I went to tsa.gov and looked into it.

Liquid medications are allowed on flight in excess of the 3.4 oz regulation, simply make sure that the medication is clearly labeled and even better for zero issues from TSA unopened if in excess of the standard size limitation.
Fresh fruit shouldn't be an issue. You can even bring it with you and fly with it since it is domestic flights. Look for a fresh market type of facility or ask a gate agent to direct you if you want to purchase in the airport.. They can tell you where to locate it. Fresh fruits arent usually an issue unless you are flying internationallly.
As for child meals they can be special requested like kosher, and vegeterian meals etc. However, they are not available on all flights. You can make the request online via mytrips on their page or by contacting special service requests.

3/1/1 rule does not apply to medication. You just have to let the TSA agent know you have them.

You can carry your own food for the flight. If you're worried it will go bad, get a soft-sided lunch cooler. Freeze a water bottle or two and put that in with your food. You can take frozen water bottles with you as long as there is no liquid from melting. If there is, drink it or dump the water. Like the medication, you have to let the agent know you have the frozen water bottles. I do this on every trip and have never had a problem.

As far as fruit, you can carry it on the plane with you, but you must consume it before you hit California. They have rules, or at least did have rules, about letting fruit to protect their fruit crops.

Take an empty reusable water bottle with you, fill it once you're past security at a water fountain so you can have water throughout the flight.

Op here...

I went out a bought a new bottle, in the box still sealed, and it's 4 ounces..

We tired the frozen bottled water once, and they still made us throw it away... so we most likely won't try that again...

We always buy a bottle of water and a soda for each of us Air-side... so that we don't have to depend on the flight attendants for something to drink right away, you never know if your going to have turbulence or whatever, so we like to be prepared, plus I take med's so I need to something to drink... I do have a small lunch bag, and I will talk to my DD and see if she wants to try to bring grapes and carrots with us... I was just hoping to just grab and go... less is so much easier when traveling..

Thanks as always...

You should be fine with a sealed new bottle. If you have time consider having the Dr write out on a prescription pad or office letterhead the need for the Benadryl just in case TSA hassles you. You can also pickup chewable childrens benadryl to carry all the time. It works as fast as the liquid for my allergy prone family. Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

You should be fine with a sealed new bottle. If you have time consider having the Dr write out on a prescription pad or office letterhead the need for the Benadryl just in case TSA hassles you. You can also pickup chewable childrens benadryl to carry all the time. It works as fast as the liquid for my allergy prone family. Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

OP here...
I did not realize that there was chewable childrens benadryl... I still have a couple days... so I just added this to my list... Thanks so much

Any kind of liquid medications should be allowed, but they might require that a bit be tested.

3-1-1 Liquids Rule Exemption
TSA allows larger amounts of medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols in reasonable quantities for your trip, but you must declare them to TSA officers at the checkpoint for inspection.​
Remove them from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings. You are not required to place your liquid medication in a plastic zip-top bag. If a liquid, gel, or aerosol declared as medically necessary alarms, then it may require additional screening and may not be allowed.​
Accessories
Ice packs, freezer packs, gel packs, and other accessories may be presented at the screening checkpoint in a frozen or partially-frozen state to keep medically necessary items cool. All items, including supplies associated with medically necessary liquids such as IV bags, pumps, and syringes must be screened before they will be permitted into the secure area of the airport.​

I remember for my young kid, they allowed a few beverages on board including bottled water, but not canned soda (had to be tossed) that we forgot to leave out. But they allowed maybe two bottles and poured a sample of one bottle on a test strip. The other bottle went into a piece of equipment but still sealed.

Note that a lot of airports still have not re-opened their public water fountains, so don't count on being able to fill water bottles airside, unless you are OK with tap water from the restroom sink. I fly a fair amount, and just went through Denver and St. Louis a couple of days ago, and I have not seen a working water fountain in a US airport since early March of 2020.

The bottled water they will allow through TSA for babies is nursery water, the special stuff with no flouride in it. Regular bottled water is normally not allowed through. Baby formula is allowed, but they will sometimes do a swab test on the bottles to check for explosives.

BTW, if you are traveling with a child too young to eat restaurant food, I advise carrying on enough food and formula to last 24 hours, just in case of major flight delays, up to and including overnight stranding. Same with diapering supplies; most domestic airports either don't sell diapers, or run out quickly once delays start to happen.

The bottled water they will allow through TSA for babies is nursery water, the special stuff with no flouride in it. Regular bottled water is normally not allowed through. Baby formula is allowed, but they will sometimes do a swab test on the bottles to check for explosives.
Strangely enough, that's what they allowed in my case - just normal, everyday bottled water. Don't recall the brand, but our kid was maybe three at the time. But the one thing I remember with the cans of Coke was that they said, "that's not for the kid" although our kid loved Coke.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter