Can I go to the front desk before check in to see if my requests were honored?

I guess I will just put in my request of ground floor, buildings 34-39 for POR with a phone call. Ground floor being the most important.

I know, right. As long as it's ground floor I will be. I go during the off season as well.
POR is one of our favorite resorts and we have had good luck getting our requests at POR. It is such a great resort to walk around in. A lot of times, we would be staying in the mansions (mostly Oak) and we would get off the bus at the front so we could take a nice stroll back to our room. Have a great time.

I’ll add that we do online check-in every time and we’ve never received a text stating our room was ready! I’m trying again this time but due to arriving around 9am, we’ll be stopping by the front desk to ensure our request we made was assigned. We’re staying at OKW and my mom has mobility issues/using a scooter this requires a ground floor or elevator access. We also tend to stop by front desk upon arrival so that we can add my mom’s cc to her MB.

I’ll add that we do online check-in every time and we’ve never received a text stating our room was ready! I’m trying again this time but due to arriving around 9am, we’ll be stopping by the front desk to ensure our request we made was assigned. We’re staying at OKW and my mom has mobility issues/using a scooter this requires a ground floor or elevator access. We also tend to stop by front desk upon arrival so that we can add my mom’s cc to her MB.
It's possible you arrive before they can send them out. I know we used to only get them on occasion but when they switched to this newer push to get everyone to bypass the desk if at all possible, we've been getting them 100% of the time.

When you could add an estimated arrival time by the exact hour we got it at or near that time, 100% of the time. I noticed with our trip in July and again with our trip this coming weekend, we can only say "before 3" or an exact time. We arrive early (very early) in July and hadn't received a text before arrival but did receive one when the room was ready later in the afternoon. It was also the first time the person at the desk stressed that check in was 3. Maybe they've had too many expect rooms ready early? Or it may have just been that particular CM

Hello everyone,

I’m staying for the first time ever at the Polynesian resort and I couldn’t be more excited. I am worried about the construction and I do want to request a king bed in the Rarotonga building. I opted for a resort view because a king bed and being away from the construction is an equal priority, the water view rooms didn’t offer many king bed rooms and it’s way too much to upgrade (like $800).

The issue is, I booked through Costco travel since it was $1200 cheaper and I am unable to make a room request by calling Disney. I had the Costco travel agent notate it, I requested near bus stop and a king bed on the MDE Check in page, and I signed up for a touring plans subscription just to put a room request in that way. As you can see I REALLY want a king bed in Rarotonga lol.

My question is, am I able to show up at 7 AM on check in day and talk to front desk to see if they were able to honor my request and where my room would be? I’d like to be able to get placed in another room if it is a construction room and we are checking in August 26th so it’s quickly approaching. Thank you
Yes. We've started doing this every trip. We do the online checkin, but if I don't get the text by the time I get there and can't see what our room assignment is; I go to the front desk to confirm or request a change.

That's interesting. We don't get the text 100% of the time, but it's probably 90%. Have you verified your profile on MDE to make sure the phone number to send texts is correct? The process has been in place for years and works most of the time. If you never see the text, there could be something wrong with the info. And you might have already done this, but if you're staying DVC at OKW, I'd call/chat/email Member Services and make sure you have them add your first floor/elevator need to the reservation directly. It's likely to improve your chances of getting what you need and want.

That's interesting. We don't get the text 100% of the time, but it's probably 90%. Have you verified your profile on MDE to make sure the phone number to send texts is correct? The process has been in place for years and works most of the time. If you never see the text, there could be something wrong with the info. And you might have already done this, but if you're staying DVC at OKW, I'd call/chat/email Member Services and make sure you have them add your first floor/elevator need to the reservation directly. It's likely to improve your chances of getting what you need and want.
Good point. Something else I've noticed, even though my phone number is stored in MDE, it isn't always populated to the online check in box (same goes for credit card, just another in long list of MDE glitches). I have to check the box for texts and add my phone number in that specific online check in. I can see this step is possibly missed by some who assume it's there since it's in their MDE account contact list. Sometimes it's automatically added in, sometimes it's not. I've started to be sure I always look specifically for it

When we did YC last summer we arrived early and asked if they had any rooms available. They didn’t but we did get a text saying our room was ready later in that morning. Will definitely double check my MDE acct like you suggested.

As for our OKW needs, I’ve double checked the request for our room needs are listed every time I call to make a payment to WDW. I’m so neurotic mainly as it’s the only resort we’ve ever stayed at that doesn’t have elevators for every bldg.

When we did YC last summer we arrived early and asked if they had any rooms available. They didn’t but we did get a text saying our room was ready later in that morning. Will definitely double check my MDE acct like you suggested.

As for our OKW needs, I’ve double checked the request for our room needs are listed every time I call to make a payment to WDW. I’m so neurotic mainly as it’s the only resort we’ve ever stayed at that doesn’t have elevators for every bldg.
Yea, a recognized mistake that Disney made not having elevators in the early OKW buildings. Not sure how that would've seemed like a good decision back in the early 90s when they did it. They corrected it slightly when they opened the additional buildings later - but not a great situation for many. I know at some point, those steps are going to be a deterrent for our stays!

Hope you get good news for your stay!

For what it's worth, we were just in Aotearoa (which was really darn close to the construction) and despite doing some mid-day naps, we heard virtually nothing the ten days we were there.

Staying at OKW Oct 1-7 in a 2 bedroom lock-off then staying at OKW until Oct 13 in a 1 bedroom. We asked them to link the reservations with a note that we would like to have the same 1 bedroom side for both stays. Hoping for pixie dust so I don't have to pack and move. I skipped the room request info on the online check-in so it doesn't override what we requested when making the reservations.

Staying at OKW Oct 1-7 in a 2 bedroom lock-off then staying at OKW until Oct 13 in a 1 bedroom. We asked them to link the reservations with a note that we would like to have the same 1 bedroom side for both stays. Hoping for pixie dust so I don't have to pack and move. I skipped the room request info on the online check-in so it doesn't override what we requested when making the reservations.
We’re also in a 1 bedroom from Sep 5-12 and then rented points for the 13th (so our stay is 9/5-13…called and asked if they’d link our stays but they wouldn’t even add the note; told we needed to make request when we checked in. Fingers crossed we don’t have to move rooms either!!

We’re also in a 1 bedroom from Sep 5-12 and then rented points for the 13th (so our stay is 9/5-13…called and asked if they’d link our stays but they wouldn’t even add the note; told we needed to make request when we checked in. Fingers crossed we don’t have to move rooms either!!
When renting points, only the owner can call to add that note.

I guess I will just put in my request of ground floor, buildings 34-39 for POR with a phone call. Ground floor being the most important.
Just to let you know, last year via phone we requested ground floor at Disney’s Old Key West resort because many buildings don’t have elevators. We told them we had an electric scooter. They could not provide ground floor or even a building with an elevator. We had to park the scooter partially exposed to the elements and plug it in right next to someone else’s door on the ground floor. So, a request is just a request, no matter what your situation is. It’s never a guarantee.

Just to let you know, last year via phone we requested ground floor at Disney’s Old Key West resort because many buildings don’t have elevators. We told them we had an electric scooter. They could not provide ground floor or even a building with an elevator. We had to park the scooter partially exposed to the elements and plug it in right next to someone else’s door on the ground floor. So, a request is just a request, no matter what your situation is. It’s never a guarantee.
You needed to request a HA room. I made that mistake at CBR. A scooter doesn't guarantee first floor or elevator. A HA room does.

CM was able to change my room to HA

Some scooters let you remove the battery and charge the battery outside the scooter.

For the OP, I'd change resorts.

Better idea, book what you want and don't rely on requests. No room at POFQ is so far from anything that you can possibly have a ruined trip.
Besides that, just don't complete the room request portion if you are that particular.
Yeah, if I could have booked a specific building I would, but you can't. No room would have "ruined" my trip, but I went to see if the building I wanted was available and it was. I magically ended up in the exact room I requested. Never hurts to nicely ask to be moved.

I guess if we end up in that situation where our choice is leave scooter partially exposed due to unavailability for ground floor/elevator, we will be requesting a resort change. I am not going to try and subject my mom, who has congestive heart failure and a pacemaker to try and climb stairs. Still crossing my fingers🤞

Hello everyone,

I’m staying for the first time ever at the Polynesian resort and I couldn’t be more excited. I am worried about the construction and I do want to request a king bed in the Rarotonga building. I opted for a resort view because a king bed and being away from the construction is an equal priority, the water view rooms didn’t offer many king bed rooms and it’s way too much to upgrade (like $800).

The issue is, I booked through Costco travel since it was $1200 cheaper and I am unable to make a room request by calling Disney. I had the Costco travel agent notate it, I requested near bus stop and a king bed on the MDE Check in page, and I signed up for a touring plans subscription just to put a room request in that way. As you can see I REALLY want a king bed in Rarotonga lol.

My question is, am I able to show up at 7 AM on check in day and talk to front desk to see if they were able to honor my request and where my room would be? I’d like to be able to get placed in another room if it is a construction room and we are checking in August
We have stayed at the Poly 4x in non DVC. I requested Rara each time and only got in once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter