Can we discuss the lack of DVC resorts available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not us.
Our advisor, and person who initially sold to us in 2007, said that plenty of rooms would be open for last minute stays. We specifically said that we don't book that far in advance (FWIW, my ex at the time, who was my husband, is a very last minute planner- I plan well in advance, but not always at 11 months and prefer to plan 2-4 months ahead). Meanwhile that salesperson closed the deal with us and magically 'disappeared' and ever since, I've experienced the 'hunt and score' thrills of booking DVC rooms. Mostly successful, I might add, but always stressful.
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if you bought 15 years ago, are you just now experiencing this difficulty in utilizing DVC within your preferred travel habits, or has this been an ongoing issue since you purchased? If neither you nor your ex preferred to plan further than 4 months out, how have you dealt with this issue prior to this year? Honestly curious.

Am I the only one the prefers a one bedroom?

I have found much better availability when you are flexible
I'm flexible with dates, it's a much higher point usage for a one-bedroom (as you know). I try to extend my points but not particular in which studio- I'm fine with any view or location.
But yeah, I totally agree, I love the one-bedrooms.

I'm flexible with dates, it's a much higher point usage for a one-bedroom (as you know). I try to extend my points but not particular in which studio- I'm fine with any view or location.
But yeah, I totally agree, I love the one-bedrooms.
Have you found anything?

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if you bought 15 years ago, are you just now experiencing this difficulty in utilizing DVC within your preferred travel habits, or has this been an ongoing issue since you purchased? If neither you nor your ex preferred to plan further than 4 months out, how have you dealt with this issue prior to this year? Honestly curious.
You don't sound like a jerk at all- totally something I would ask as well.

I haven't experienced this level of difficulty, no. At first (15 years ago) it was frustrating not being able to book a few weeks ahead. I know, imaging booking a few weeks out? LOL Well, we quickly realized this wasn't happening, as we were told. But then I got used to being able to pick weekends here and there within 3 months, and this was manageable. We were childless at the time, and could travel whenever, so we would pick weekends AROUND holidays (weekend before or after Thanksgiving, weekends in October before Halloween- back when October was 'quiet' lol, booking January which was quiet, avoiding Spring Break, etc). I never had a huge issue, and like others said, OKW or SSR was always an option. I've had to waitlist here and there, and only once did it not go through. So in 15 years, those are good odds. I feel like I've only had to waitlist less than 10 times in 15 years, all but one coming in.

So, to answer your question, it's just been a game of cat and mouse and avoiding holidays. It certainly has gotten more difficult in the past 5 years. I've seen a huge shift in popularity of weekends. October was never a problem, and now it is - for example. And now, 2022, is horribly difficult. I plan 4 months out at least. Clearly the fall is out of the question.

Have you found anything?
Not in a studio before the end of the year.
I see random one-nights available here and there- a few doubles in SSR and OKW, But I have a daughter and can only go weekends. I see 2 nights together in 2 resorts at the end of December, but those are black-out dates for my annual pass.
So I guess I'm not that flexible after all.:sad2:
I feel like I am... but I can't go one night on a Wednesday. I'm not local.

I see random one-nights available here and there
One strategy would be to take those if they are in high-volume resort/room categories (e.g. SSR Standard) and then waitlist the day before/after as appropriate.

You can keep looking for things to pop up in the meantime, but it's easier to match a 1-day waitlist than a 2-day one.

Not us.
Our advisor, and person who initially sold to us in 2007, said that plenty of rooms would be open for last minute stays. We specifically said that we don't book that far in advance (FWIW, my ex at the time, who was my husband, is a very last minute planner- I plan well in advance, but not always at 11 months and prefer to plan 2-4 months ahead). Meanwhile that salesperson closed the deal with us and magically 'disappeared' and ever since, I've experienced the 'hunt and score' thrills of booking DVC rooms. Mostly successful, I might add, but always stressful.

Back then, things were different and last minutes stays were a bit easier. But, now there are more members. Even though all points sold have rooms thst go with them, certain times of the year there are simply more people who want to go than rooms that are availble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter