Can you "pass" on foods at family-style/buffet dining?

Sweet Pea Reed

Mouseketeer
Are the previous buffets more like a family-style service, similar to what Garden Grill has always been? And if so, can you politely "pass" on any of the dishes before they're brought out? I'm taking my aunt in February, and she's not into certain foods, nor is she a big eater. I'm not a huge eater in the parks either. But she'd love to go to Tusker House and Garden Grill. I'd hate to see some dishes wasted or not even touched because we don't want them. Has anyone experienced this, and what's the best thing to do?

I'm not aware of how the precovid full buffets are working currently but I do know that at Garden Grill you can pass on items you don't like so I'm assuming if other buffets are currently doing family style you can also pass on foods there.

Assuming you get them to stay long enough to tell them, it shouldn't be a problem.

Pre-COVID at Garden Grill breakfast I was able to ask for just berries for the fruit as I do not like melon at all.

In July I went to dinner at Tusker House and would have had them not bring the shrimp dish, but my server was gone like a flash after getting my drink order and I didn't get to tell him, so that just sat uneaten. So I would probably lead with what you want left off before going into what drink you want. (also, there is no price reduction for leaving things off)

Assuming you get them to stay long enough to tell them, it shouldn't be a problem.

Pre-COVID at Garden Grill breakfast I was able to ask for just berries for the fruit as I do not like melon at all.

In July I went to dinner at Tusker House and would have had them not bring the shrimp dish, but my server was gone like a flash after getting my drink order and I didn't get to tell him, so that just sat uneaten. So I would probably lead with what you want left off before going into what drink you want. (also, there is no price reduction for leaving things off)

Thank you for the heads up! The shrimp is definitely something we'd not want. I'd feel guilty and wasteful to leave it untouched. I'll let them know as soon as they take our drink orders.

Before the main course/meat came out at Ohana, we told the waiter that we are not seafood eaters and not to bother to bring us any shrimp. It was no problem.

At the Garden Grill definitely just let your server know what you want more/less/none of. They accommodate daily for that. 😄 If I’m working that day and it’s something I like I’ll grab a fork and join you … LOL

At the Garden Grill definitely just let your server know what you want more/less/none of. They accommodate daily for that. 😄 If I’m working that day and it’s something I like I’ll grab a fork and join you … LOL

Sounds like a plan! IMy aunt and I will see ya February 14 🤣

We often tell them what we don't want, even if it's something in a platter or skillet ("please leave off the ribs") and they've always gotten it correct. BTW if it makes you feel better, unconsumable food waste is collected and used to make biodiesel to run the Disney buses, so if they accidentally bring something you won't eat, at least it doesn't go to a landfill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter