Can you use Cash at Disney Orlando Now?

Cash is pretty much the worst option for UK based folk because nowhere that sells it gives a decent rate. Right now Tui rate is $1.11, Travelex is $1.10… Revolut prepaid card is $1.147. If you used a regular bank card, I’d wager that the better exchange rate + an overseas transaction fee is still better value than getting a rubbish rate for buying cash.

No its not better to use a card as the rates are the same as you mentioned or lower then there is a 2.9% card transaction fee so it makes the rate worse.

Plus when you exchange you set the rate at the time, at the moment the dollar to pound is so up and down that today it could be 1.1 and tomorrow 1.03.

Yes it could also go up but the UK is in such a mess at the moment it will no doubt go down.

If you used a regular bank card
That's ambiguous. To me that sounds like a Debit Card rather than a Credit Card. With my bank the former incurs an additional % per transaction fee on foreign currency but my CC has none.

there is a 2.9% card transaction fee so it makes the rate worse.
As referenced earlier in the thread there are a good number of cards offering 'no fee' foreign transactions.

That's ambiguous. To me that sounds like a Debit Card rather than a Credit Card. With my bank the former incurs an additional % per transaction fee on foreign currency but my CC has none.

As referenced earlier in the thread there are a good number of cards offering 'no fee' foreign transactions.

I did look at these, some require you to open an account and deposit money into the account but who knows how much I need and there terms and conditions were not to my personal liking, others its a credit card and adds further credit to your personal credit file, which again I have no need to do, I do not need another credit card, I just wanted to pay by card as it seems USA want you to do this.

Spoke to my bank and they add 2.9% per transaction.

Used to be a post office card which had zero fees and you would be the post office exchange rate which is not bad but they stopped offering these cards as you could link the card to your bank account meaning you did not have to do a credit check or anything like this, had one in the past that worked great.

Just wanted a card I could use, link to my current bank account, I do not want credit or anything just something simple and pay the exchange rate.

Thanks all for the great advice as always.

I had no issues with the chase app (and the 1% cashback helped) - and no issues transferring money I didn’t use back to my main current account.

For currency I swear by Covent Garden FX, great rates and customer service. Used them for years.

+1 for the Chase card. Used it for ALL card transactions in the USA in August and received a hefty cashback after paying the Disney hotel bill at the end of the holiday. In this day and age of digital banking I was able to keep my holiday savings in their 1.5% savings account and just transfer immediately as and when I needed it. Fully recommend Chase if you are heading over there, totally free to open and maintain and so many benefits.

Just wanted a card I could use, link to my current bank account, I do not want credit or anything just something simple and pay the exchange rate.
I have Halifax Clarity Credit Card and set up a direct debit to pay in full with my non-halifax bank account. Very simple to do and you pay exchange rate with no fee

It sounds like you're after a prepaid debit card that you top up via direct debit from your bank account. Here's what Martin Lewis suggests at the mo. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards/

I can't recommend any as we use a no fee barclaycard (think the offer is discontinued now) and opened a starling current account as a back up/for cash withdrawals overseas. It was super easy opening starling and we just go into our normal banking app and make a payment to it in order to put some more money into it (in pounds).
This summer natwest had no fees abroad as a short term offer and some banks include it with specific current accounts if it may be worth it for you to upgrade your current account for a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter