Canadian Dollar is going to cancel our trip.

The drop below $0.60 was predicted by end of year. It's only February. Still lots of time. Trust me, I'm hoping it doesn't, but... I'm not holding my breath either.

I took you pessimism seriously and rented DVC points today while the dollar was still around .74 US (9 months out rather than 6). I'm not too optimistic it will go much higher, but am hedging my bets a bit in case it will drops again before our trip.

I took you pessimism seriously and rented DVC points today while the dollar was still around .74 US (9 months out rather than 6). I'm not too optimistic it will go much higher, but am hedging my bets a bit in case it will drops again before our trip.

I think you made a good move. They've released some newer predictions, which were that the dollar won't drop below $0.70, in fact they're hoping it'll finish the year right around where it is now, BUT, they're expecting it to drop back down near $0.70 again, before it perks back up. My mother in law is in finance and she said the "improvement" we're seeing is temporary.

So true.
I'm in the midst of booking Disneyland Paris mind you ...WDW looks bargain basement in comparison!

I can't even imagine! I have family who live near Paris and have invited us over to stay with them and visit Disneyland Paris - and I still can't find the budget to go! lol

All this fuss and we just returned with a 75 cent dollar - way better than it was before we even booked. Glad we did not cancel out of complete panic!!

And yes, prices are going to go up - when demand goes up prices tend to follow! Such is life.

Our trip is in October, so when the dollar went up last week, I went and paid off a large portion of it. I've got the balance ready to go in case the dollar slips again, but I figure I'll see if I can save a $20 or two by seeing if it edges up a penny or two more. It probably won't but I'm prepared either way :)

The dollar has just nudged over 75 cents, woohoo! We've still got $2500US to pay off on our upcoming cruise (was $1500 left but we upgraded to a verandah) and I've been stalking the dollar the past few days. Don't want to pull the trigger yet as the dollar seems to be going up ever so slowly but as soon as it slides down I'm paying that sucker off!

Wow! Now it is up again! Does anyone know why it shot up 2 cents in the past day? Maybe the US trip by the PM went even better than we could have hoped :) I see it now over 76 cents, and it even squeaked past 77 briefly!

Wow! Now it is up again! Does anyone know why it shot up 2 cents in the past day? Maybe the US trip by the PM went even better than we could have hoped :) I see it now over 76 cents, and it even squeaked past 77 briefly!

The Canadian dollar fluctuates based on US interest rates (or anticipated rates), Canadian interest rates (or anticipated rates), the overall health of the local economy and the price of oil.

US decided not to raise their interest rates and people anticipate oil cuts and oil prices possibly going up. That together equals a bit of bounce in Canadian currency.

Good point about the federal budget. Not much to do about it...

The best advice I got from a exchange rate /stress management perspective is: Convert half when you book and half when you go... This way you will always be happy you did :yo-yo:

I prefer averaging it out. I convert a bit every week... And a bigger bit when I think it is worth it (like today).

I am happy to report that, after crunching some numbers, our 2016 vacations will be the second cheapest (in CDN $) if averaging the nightly cost. Several factors explain this: staying longer thus optimising tickets booked before the cost increase, good deal on resort room and planning to pay dining OOP instead of the DDxP. If FD was offered, we could beat our best year by going in a moderate resort.

Bought my USD to pay for my trip in May yesterday. Paid just below 1.3 :yay:. Not bad considering it rocketed up to 1.46 a month after I booked :scared:
We also bought the remainder of our money yesterday. We use a cash budget when we're in Orlando as that works best for us. With our money purchased, our May trip is fully paid for in advance. All that is left to do is wait.:cheer2:

I really hopes it doesn't fall again anytime soon. I have to wait a few more weeks before I'll get my overtime paid out to pay on my trip. Fingers crossed. I also thought in Jan that we would be cancelling our trip because of the dollar.

Anybody happy it is tax season? It is the only reason a trip can be possible this year. That and the dollar seems to be growing again
:duck:
We will owe as much taxes as it will cost us for a three weeks trip to Florida including ten days at Disney... :crazy2:
We have a balanced budget this year :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter