Canceling ressie because of hurricane?

vbalacek

Mouseketeer
We are relatively new memebers going for our first trip to our home at VWL. We are supposed to land in Orlando Sunday morning. With talk of the hurricane hitting Florida this weekend, I'm wondering what is the policy if we cancel our reservation?

Do we get our points back? I recall some mention of a holding account-- what exactly is that and how does it work? Does it matter if we cancel the day of our reservation-- I'm afraid that if the hurricane hits on Saturday or Sunday, our flight will be canceled and we may not be able to get a flight down for a few days (I've been told this happened after some of the last hurricanes).

Also, did Disney do anything to alter general policies last time the hurricanes came through?

Any help would be appreciated!

We were at VWL last year when Jeanne hit. Disney handled everything great. Some people were allowed to cancel and reschedule their trips. And some people just came in a few days later or early (according to what the airlines could do for them). We got in on Saturday (our daughter and son-in-law had the last flight in at Orlando International that day) and the hurricane came through early Sunday morning. The resort went on lockdown I guess you'd call it. They had entertainment in the lobbies, Mickey and Minnie, music. It was actually fun, believe it or not. We slept like babies at the lodge. I looked out the window at about 3:00 a.m. and saw the trees blowing hard, but it wasn't anything like what I'm sure the coast got.

Play it by ear and stay in touch with Disney and your airline. Hopefully your first trip home will work out okay. The day after the hurricane came through, it was beautiful weather.

Good luck.

It was also reported that people went to the parks on the day before the storm hit and when disney decided to close the park early they handed out comp single day passes.

We had ressies last year during labor day weekend at Vero and when a hurricane came through that weekend Disney waived the holding period clause and instead allowed us to cancel the ressie and put the points back into the account for us to use with no restrictions.

We are scheduled to arrive Sun 10/23 also....normally if you cancel too close, you lose your points...however they told me this am that for the hurricane, they will allow you to cancel 10/19 - 10/23 with no penalty. We are watching closely and hope for a change in direction....however if it stays this slow moving it may not hit Florida until Sun nite....if so, we may be able to fly in sun am. If it hits southern florida, Orlando may only see rain and some increased wind and be gone by Monday. We were in Disney for Floyd, and were very impressed with how Disney handled the situation. Let's hope for the best! :hourglass

Nope, not cancelling. We added a day - this Friday. We fly down tomorrow to get in ahead of the storm. Heck, this gives us another day! The storm isn't supposed to hit now until later on Sunday. And we'll be there until next Friday.

DisFlan

I added on a day also. I'm one of the lucky ones who is already in Orlando staying at my CM daughter's townhome --so I don't have to worry about the transportation problem. We were to move into OKW on Sunday and I just added on Saturday so we can be in our villa and settled before the worst of the storm--which supposedly will occur on Sunday. As of now, it looks like this area will only get heavy rain and some wind--but you never know so everyone is being very alert.

We left a day early to get back home befor Rita hit. MS placed the points back into my current use year. They did not go into holding, they were normal bankable points.

In certain circumstances (I was told by a cm when we rescheduled due to Jeanne last fall) they are more than happy to allow people to cancel or reschedule( with no penalties) due to hurricanes because it frees up rooms for employees famlies and for others who are actually evacuating to Orlando. Especially the families - the employees still work when the hurricanes are hitting - and they were happy to have a place on site for their families to stay where they knew they were safe!

I have no personal experience with this, but I'll give you my gut reaction based on posts last year during the three hurricanes that impacted WDW and decades watching hurricanes here.

I would expect Disney to do the right thing. If the airport closes, if your flight is cancelled, etc...I'm sure you'll find them accommodating in the extreme. They will do the right thing.

On the other hand...if you just decide on your own to cancel, that's your decision and you may or may not get relief. If the hurricane impacts them directly, you will get what anyone else gets -- if not, not.

According to the latest gyrations of the forecasts, the hurricane is currently looking like a Sunday night event. But that is certain to change a half-dozen times between now and then. Also, from time to time, the computer model I trust most has been having a little spasm that sends the hurricane down to Cuba and then into the Bahamas. (I learned to trust that model when it said, "Yo, Jim! Katrina will go right over your house!" and I didn't listen!)

I would call MS tomorrow and see what they say about hurricane cancellations.

As it stands right now, I think you are looking at squally (but not dangerous) weather Sunday, followed by improving weather on Monday, and probably good weather Tuesday forward.

Plus, I think a lot of people don't just consider the weather. I suspect many say, "Bad weather at Disney - wonderful weather at home? Easy decision!"

Last year during Charlie mess I had to cut my trip short.
Planes delayed and all.
MS were so nice in putting back all those points in my acct.
No holding, just regular bankable points.
They don't have to do this since hurricane is not something that they can control.
But it sure is nice to know that they take care of you when things like this happen.

On our very first visit to WDW, Hurricane Erin passed within 35 miles of WDW. We were instructed to bring our deck furniture into our room and, the next day, we were asked to NOT use Disney transportation if we had other means to get to the parks. I believe that all of the Disney resorts are built to withstand 200 MPH winds, much stronger than any hurricane on record has ever produced.

Good luck with your decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter