Cancellation Policy on Online Disney.com Reservations = 46 Days!

robinb

DIS veteran
I just want to give folks a heads up about online reservations!

A previous thread mentioned that one could make reservations online and get the same code rates are available here at DIS or at Mary's Mousesavers. The way you do it is to go to www.disney.com, click on "vacations", then "Walt Disney World", then the red box to get the discount. It worked great and I was able to book a back-up reservation at POFQ for the same price. I was very happy not to have to call CRO. The downside is that the cancellation policy for those reservations is 46 days in advance! I called CRO today {{sigh}} and had them cancel and re-book me using one of the CRO codes. My cancelation policy is back to a reasonable 5 days.

Yes, we found that out last night. Trying to get AKL since we are stuck in the CBR deal. NOw we have to decide by Sat. what we need to do!!!:mad:

It is weird, because I've been told over the phone by CRO that they handle the Room only T&C's as though you've booked through CRO (5 day cancel policy etc.). I have been told this by multiple people, but never tested it in theory. Disney has never put the rubber to the road so to speak and updated their policy in writing on the website with the discount codes. So, legally you are on the hook with the 46 day policy if you reserve on line. At one time they had the cancellation policy updated on their "room only" portion, but that was only for regular ressies through WDTC (not for the specials).

I'd book through CRO and play it safe.

I just tried to switch it. No luck here...she wouldn't let me. (to get the 5 day cancelation):( :(

So looks like Disney will get more $$$ out of us. Cuz it's $190 a night reg. price and she said there are no rooms left. This is at AKL. Not sure if we want to take that chance to loose this.:(

This is really making me loose my taste for Disney!:mad: :mad: Going on vacation shouldn't be such a PAIN!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Economically Disney is not doing well. The Wall St. Journal quoted Disney officials as saying that theme park attendance is down significantly, as is occupancy in the hotels.
They have instituted deep discounts but they have not gotton the results that they have wanted. What an awful business decision to institute a 46 day cancellation policy? It these times, it is not very consumer friendly. I think I would opt to book over the phone and get similar rates than to limit myself to those types of restrictions. I booked overflow to the Yacht Club from SoG. I can accept a two week cancellation policy. The chances of me cancelling are miniscule anyway but unless I was getting an incredible deal, 45 days is unreasonable.

We booked online for July with the Summer Saver rate. Printout stated 46 day cancellation policy so I called and was told it was 5 day cancel since it was room only. Trusted them - big mistake!! We decided to get annual passes so checked into AP rate which was cheaper. Cancelled 33 days out and was again ASSURED there would be no penalty for cancelling (would not have cancelled if there would have been). Anyway the refund never showed up - had to argue with many people CRO, WDTC, AMEX card company, managers, supervisors, etc. Was told they were keeping my deposit because I cancelled less than 45 days out. After a lot of hassle and many phone calls on my dime, AMEX was going to go ahead and refund if Disney did not, but they finally did.

I WILL NEVER BOOK DISNEY ONLINE AGAIN!!!!!!!:mad:

With both disney.com and WDTC having less liberal cancellation policies, I wonder how long it will be before CRO changes their policy. I hope they never do, but it is really very generous. A 5 day cancellation policy is almost unheard of at resort areas.

At the Jersey shore, you have to cancel at least 3 weeks ahead of time, and then you only get back 75% of your deposit, and some places want a 2 night deposit. (Plus a night at the shore is more than a night at Disney!:crazy: )

I too almost booked on Disney.com back in April, trying to get a room discount code that wasn't available at CRO by phone. They had the discount on line, but when I saw the cancellation policy, I said forget it! :):D:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

45 days is a normal deposit penalty fee for most tour operators. I'm surprised Disney doesn't have a stricter policy regarding cancellations considering there are so many double bookings and last minute switching.

What if someone books room and Ultimate park hopper pass thru WDTC and want to cancel more than 45 days in advance ?

Will they get a full refund of what they already paid for the package ?

Thank you

I was just looking at the terms & conditions on disney.com:

Cancellation Policy

In order to receive a full refund of your deposit, notification of cancellation must be received at least 6 days prior to your arrival date. To cancel or modify an existing reservation, call (407) 939-7429†. The cancellation and refund policy is subject to change.

Hi,

Isn't this for epople having only a resort reservation or also if we have booked a package ?

Thank you

I checked under room only reservations. For packages, it is different:

Cancellation and Change fees

For cancellations or changes, if your air travel has been ticketed, there will be a cancellation or change fee per ticket equal to the higher of (i) $75 and (ii) the cancellation or change fee assessed by the airline. Please note that cancellation of a nonrefundable, published or promotional airfare results in a charge equal to the entire amount of the airfare. In addition:
For a cancellation made 6 to 44 days prior to arrival, there is an additional cancellation fee of $100 per package plus any cancellation fees assessed by hotels or other suppliers.
For a cancellation made 5 days or less prior to arrival, there is an additional cancellation fee of $200 per package plus any cancellation fees by hotels or other suppliers. No refunds will be given to no-shows.
For a change made 44 days or less prior to arrival or that results in a rate change, there is an additional change fee of $50 per package plus any change fees assessed by hotels or other suppliers.
For changes, the change fees must be paid in addition to any increase in rate resulting from the change.
Travel insurance is nonrefundable

If I remember correctly, Disney had a summer saver type promotion online, and the reservations booked under that particular code or special were 45 day cancellation, but any other reservations made either at regular price or another code were still the 5 or 6 day cancellation. It looked like it was a new thing Disney was trying to see whether people would notice or not- and some obviously did. But those particular rates were even lower than some of the annual passholder rates at the time (I know, because I had checked both, and reserved the 45 day one as cheaper and didn't plan on cancelling), and sort of justified the cancellation policy. As far as I know, it was the only code like that, unless they did the fall one like that too, I haven't checked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter