Canon 400D (Rebel Xti, Kiss X)

I have posted on this board a few times asking which digital SLR is best for me. After doing a lot of price comparison, I really can not afford a digital SLR. I currently have a Canon Rebel (several years old) so I am leaning towards another Canon. If I go digital, can I use my current lens? That would save me lots of $$ since I can just buy the body.

My second question regards purchasing a used camera. Is this wise? I am watching several on ebay that are being sold private parties (meaning someone like you or me). Am I asking for trouble? It would really save me $300 or so.

Thanks. BTW, I love lurking on this board--you are all fantastic photographers!

I have posted on this board a few times asking which digital SLR is best for me. After doing a lot of price comparison, I really can not afford a digital SLR. I currently have a Canon Rebel (several years old) so I am leaning towards another Canon. If I go digital, can I use my current lens? That would save me lots of $$ since I can just buy the body.
Yes, they will work. The difference is that they will all seem zoomed in more. For example, a 28-105mm lens on your film camera will work more like a 45-168mm lens on your digital camera. That's great when you want to take pictures of something far away, but it makes taking pictures with wide views harder.

My second question regards purchasing a used camera. Is this wise? I am watching several on ebay that are being sold private parties (meaning someone like you or me). Am I asking for trouble? It would really save me $300 or so.

Cameras are relatively durable, so buying a used one is usually OK. On the other hand, cameras are a popular Ebay scam, so be very cautious about who you buy from.

On the other hand, cameras are a popular Ebay scam, so be very cautious about who you buy from.

I would not buy any new electronic or photographic equipment on Ebay.

Ebay is used to re-sell electronic purchased with stolen credit cards.

There was also a case where a women would buy an ipod from Target, remove it from box, return the empty, weighted box for full refund, then sell ipod on Ebay.

Maybe you are buying equipment stolen from another photographer?

Perhaps, I've been watching too much Dateline.

-Paul

I have been searching everywhere and I hope someone can help me. I have a Rebel Xti and I love it. I admit that most pictures I take in Auto mode and then switch to something else as I am reading and learning more and more but don"t have the confidence to go manual yet :)

Here is my question: Lately my flash makes a funny almost static sounding noise and doesn't flash. This doesn't happen all the time. But the camera will not take a shot when this happens. I have noticed this primarily when I am near another person taking flash photos. Has anyone had this happen to them? Do you know how I solve it?:confused3

I am sure someone much more versed than me will chime in, but I have an XSi. I think what you are getting is the flash is being used (or a sensor below the flash) to determine the lighting. Its kind of a little rapid zapping sound, right? If I remember right, it is using a little light (not the flash) to assist with something. :confused3
So it is acting like it will flash, but isn't. It is normal. It annoys me from the stand point of "if I don't need a flash, I don't want it sticking up!!" Going to some of the other modes will keep it from happening unless you hit the flash button. So you can study more to learn the advanced modes (i think the sports, landscape and the flower one even disable it), or learn to ignore it.

It is a test and your camera is telling you that you need to change some settings to get a better picture.

You probably have auto-focus on and your camera is focusing on something close, which negates the flash. You might try manually focusing or reducing the output of your flash in those situations.

I believe it also happens when your XTi is unable to focus on the subject, as when you are too close, or the lighting is low. Sounds like a little bug zapper, right?

Changing to the 'P' program setting will stop the flash from popping up unless you push the flash button to bring it up. All other setting are still set automatically.

I believe it also happens when your XTi is unable to focus on the subject, as when you are too close, or the lighting is low. Sounds like a little bug zapper, right?

That's exactly the sound! I thought I broke my camera. Thank you all so much for the insight.

If I remember right, it is using a little light (not the flash) to assist with something. :confused3

I saw something today that flashed my memory. It is the "AF assist beam". Helps to focus somehow. May want to check the manual for a better explaination.

Welcome to the world of DSLR!! My DH got me the XTi just over a year ago now and we're both still learning about night shots but definitely agree with everyone about buying yourself a tripod of some sort and a remote shutter. We just returned from a trip to the World in January and took quite a few night shots with our new 50mm F/1.8 lens. Combining the three (tripod - or in our case a Gorillapod - remote shutter and 50mm lens) gave us much better results than previous hand held tries with the kit lens and a high ISO and allowed us to use a much lower ISO. ... here are a few examples:

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and we'll try to answer them as best we can.

Sorry to bump up a very old thread, but I'm curious...if you are using a gorillapod...where exactly are you using this in Disney? In the shots you've posted above, where are you placing the Gorillapod so that the camera is stabilized for the photo?

Another question...for those that carry tripods...how do you walk around Disney comfortably lugging around a tripod?

Not a great night picture but a hand-held version with the Canon Xsi last month.

Did not have my tripod or gorillapod with me and just really had to tuck in the elbows to steady up the camera as best as possible.

104467416.jpg

Sorry to bump up a very old thread, but I'm curious...if you are using a gorillapod...where exactly are you using this in Disney? In the shots you've posted above, where are you placing the Gorillapod so that the camera is stabilized for the photo?

Another question...for those that carry tripods...how do you walk around Disney comfortably lugging around a tripod?

Our last trip we had the stroller so I was able to throw my tripod underneath the stroller till I needed it. On other trips I would bring a small enough tripod that when folded up it can fit in my backpack (it folder down to 13.5"). There are also lockers at MK (not sure about the size at the other parks) that will hold a tripod as big as around 24" long folded up. Just keep it in the locker till you need it at night.

I've used a tripod all around MK at night, World Showcase in EPCOT is awesome for night night shots, DHS also has some great night shot area's and if you can get into AK for EMH after dark EE and ToL are great to photograph at night. Of course don't forget about the resorts. Lots of great night time photo ops at all the different Disney Resort Hotels.

With Christmas around the corner ... I'm looking at adding to the lenses I have for my Canon Xti. I currently have the kit lens (18-55mm) and the EF 50mm f/1.8.

What would you suggest as the being a good lens to add/compliment the 2 I already have?

Thanks!!

Bonny

I'm a prime girl, since I mostly shoot portraits. So after the 50mm, I added in the 85mm 1.8. Then I added in the 100mm macro, and then the 17-40L. This year I traded up to the 85mm 1.2L (pure love). I'm renting a 35L this weekend to see if I like that.

You could look at getting one of the Canon 70-200 L lenses. There are four models ranging from $600-$1600 new. (Be careful, you may get L lens envy.)

You can look here for recommendations:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Portrait-Lens.aspx

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Landscape-Lens.aspx

I also have a Sigma 70-300 lens which is a bit cheaper. However, you can tell that that it is cheaper. ;) It is only $200. But, it still takes wonderful pictures.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391074-REG/Sigma_508101_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_APO_DG.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter