Canon S2

Laura said:
Oh, now I definitely, positively, absolutely think he's giving you the runaround. He's right that you manually set resolution in whatever mode you're in, but he's so wrong about that causing your color issues--of which I'm betting you have zero.

Go back, get your card, get a "sample pic" if he has any (HA!) and take your business elsewhere.

Would I have to manually set resolution in AUTO mode? Can I just set it at L fine or superfine or M1 or M2? Is that resolution or compression? I only want 4x6's at this point. I have looked at the manual and I never set anything in custom mode or anything and the only button I think I ever accidentally hit was the menu button. I always noticed that right away.
When I went in today and asked for my card, that's when he said, as luck would have it, they should be ready tomorrow and that he promised not to delete anything from my cards after he copies them to disk. Like I said, I'm gonna cross my fingers until tomorrow and consider this lesson learned.

tekmom said:
Would I have to manually set resolution in AUTO mode? Can I just set it at L fine or superfine or M1 or M2? Is that resolution or compression? I only want 4x6's at this point. I have looked at the manual and I never set anything in custom mode or anything and the only button I think I ever accidentally hit was the menu button. I always noticed that right away.
When I went in today and asked for my card, that's when he said, as luck would have it, they should be ready tomorrow and that he promised not to delete anything from my cards after he copies them to disk. Like I said, I'm gonna cross my fingers until tomorrow and consider this lesson learned.
Resolution is the size, the small, medium, large--how many pixels in the length and width. The superfine, fine, etc. is compression. I think your Powershot S2 IS is like my Powershot A620 in that the camera user chooses those things in Auto mode. But still, it has nothing to do with color. I don't think you did anything to your camera to mess up your pics, since you had it on auto. IF the guy's not pulling your leg and you do have a color problem, it's a camera malfunction.
http://www.digicamhelp.com/taking-pictures/image_quality.htm

tekmom said:
Would I have to manually set resolution in AUTO mode? Can I just set it at L fine or superfine or M1 or M2? Is that resolution or compression?

Auto mode only refers to exposure settings, the user can still change resolution.

L and M refer to resolution
fine and superfine refer to compression

Do not get caught up in all that, it would have no AFFECT on COLOR. Which ever setting you had it on should still allow you to print decent 4x6s, but IMO you always want to shoot at the highest resolution.

tekmom said:

I think you are doing the right thing, do not get confrontational while the guy still has your media card and the priceless images on that card.

But I do suggest you find an alternative in the future.

Anewman said:
Auto mode only refers to exposure settings, the user can still change resolution.

L and M refer to resolution
fine and superfine refer to compression

Do not get caught up in all that, it would have no AFFECT on COLOR. Which ever setting you had it on should still allow you to print decent 4x6s, but IMO you always want to shoot at the highest resolution.

I think you are doing the right thing, do not get confrontational while the guy still has your media card and the priceless images on that card.

But I do suggest you find an alternative in the future.

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do. He just kept saying that his software is correcting the problem. So setting it at L superfine is the best setting? I used a 1g card. Thanks again!

tekmom said:
Thanks, that's what I'm going to do. He just kept saying that his software is correcting the problem. So setting it at L superfine is the best setting? I used a 1g card. Thanks again!

yes L superfine is the 'best' setting but again, that isn't going to affect the color balance of the photos. It just gives you more to work with, i.e. be able to print larger prints or do more cropping.

You getting hung up on the resolution possibly being why the photos aren't perfect when in reality it can't be.

This isn't your fault. This guy is pulling something and not being honest.

the only reason I can think of to keep the card is that he has no memory in his computer system available and he is using the card directly. Which means he may be overwriting your original files. But this is all speculation. Just wait for the card and prints. Get the card first. Then inpect the prints. If they are good enough then agree to pay. If they insist you pay before getting your card something is realy wrong.
Hopefuly it will be alright.
Mikeeee

I'd dump this guy in a heartbeat if not faster!! I hope all turns out well in the end, but this whole story smells a bit fishy. I don't like the way this guy is doing business in this specific issue.

L, M1, M2... you can choose which ever you want. These settings will not change if you switch from Auto to P or to Landscape or to Shutter priority. They are 2 completely seperate functions. Resolution settings determine how many pixels are actually captured on the sensor and how much the image is compressed. Auto, P, Tv, Landscape, Portriate, etc... these setting effect the shutter speed, aperture and ISO which determine how much light is captured onto the sensor. Think of the resolution as your brain, it tells how much of the incoming light is going to be stored in your heads memory and think of the setting on the little dial on your camera (Auto, P, Tv, etc..) as your eye lids and iris, allowing the appropriate amount light to get to your brain.

As for the reddish hue he is talking about, I'm guessing (which someone else already guessed as well) that its something to do with his equipment. His customer service is very poor. (if as some else mentioned, Kelly I believe) If it is the equipment he should have been upfront about it, maybe he would have lost this one transaction, but its better than losing all the future times you would go back. I wouldn't go back based on what you've posted thus far. Even if the pictures come back beautiful as he say's, I wouldn't go back and I'd tell other people I know that go there not to use him either.

handicap18 said:
I'd dump this guy in a heartbeat if not faster!! I hope all turns out well in the end, but this whole story smells a bit fishy. I don't like the way this guy is doing business in this specific issue.

L, M1, M2... you can choose which ever you want. These settings will not change if you switch from Auto to P or to Landscape or to Shutter priority. They are 2 completely seperate functions. Resolution settings determine how many pixels are actually captured on the sensor and how much the image is compressed. Auto, P, Tv, Landscape, Portriate, etc... these setting effect the shutter speed, aperture and ISO which determine how much light is captured onto the sensor. Think of the resolution as your brain, it tells how much of the incoming light is going to be stored in your heads memory and think of the setting on the little dial on your camera (Auto, P, Tv, etc..) as your eye lids and iris, allowing the appropriate amount light to get to your brain.

As for the reddish hue he is talking about, I'm guessing (which someone else already guessed as well) that its something to do with his equipment. His customer service is very poor. (if as some else mentioned, Kelly I believe) If it is the equipment he should have been upfront about it, maybe he would have lost this one transaction, but its better than losing all the future times you would go back. I wouldn't go back based on what you've posted thus far. Even if the pictures come back beautiful as he say's, I wouldn't go back and I'd tell other people I know that go there not to use him either.

Oh, I won't be back and it's a shame because I've never had any problem with him before. He just keeps saying resolution and his software will fix it. Even IF it's actually resolution(although, I know the reddish problem is not resolution) why would I have that problem if he's only giving me 4x6's. It's not as if I'm getting posters made. I used the 12xoptical zoom ALOT at AKl, so if he said 'grainy' I would kind of understand. Redness aside.... Is there even software to fix pictures that don't have enough resolution? He just kept saying incorrect resolution setting and his software would fix it. I don't understand...the pictures looked SOOO good in the display that I couldn't wait to get them printed. :guilty:

tekmom said:
Oh, I won't be back and it's a shame because I've never had any problem with him before. He just keeps saying resolution and his software will fix it. Even IF it's actually resolution(although, I know the reddish problem is not resolution) why would I have that problem if he's only giving me 4x6's. It's not as if I'm getting posters made. I used the 12xoptical zoom ALOT at AKl, so if he said 'grainy' I would kind of understand. Redness aside.... Is there even software to fix pictures that don't have enough resolution? He just kept saying incorrect resolution setting and his software would fix it. I don't understand...the pictures looked SOOO good in the display that I couldn't wait to get them printed. :guilty:

Not to beat a dead horse, but he's not being straight with you. Your use of the optical zoom wouldn't affect the resolution of your images, and as others have mentioned, any setting on that camera ought to be enough to print 4x6's. I believe there is software that can improve print quality on low resolution images, but I've never tried it. It's a moot point though, because because it's highly unlikely that that's the issue. May I just climb on the bandwagon though in recommending that you never give your media cards to anyone? Download your pics to your computer, and back them up. Then you can give your back-up cd to a local outfit for processing or upload them from your computer. One of the benefits of digital is the ability to safeguard your images in that way.

Good luck!

fitzperry said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but he's not being straight with you. Your use of the optical zoom wouldn't affect the resolution of your images, and as others have mentioned, any setting on that camera ought to be enough to print 4x6's. I believe there is software that can improve print quality on low resolution images, but I've never tried it. It's a moot point though, because because it's highly unlikely that that's the issue. May I just climb on the bandwagon though in recommending that you never give your media cards to anyone? Download your pics to your computer, and back them up. Then you can give your back-up cd to a local outfit for processing or upload them from your computer. One of the benefits of digital is the ability to safeguard your images in that way.

Good luck!

I can't express how thankful I am to everyone on this board for the advice given. I just wish this wasn't a lesson I had to learn with my WDW pictures. :guilty: I will update everyone when I get the pictures. Thank you all so much, again!!

Maybe the whole problem is you and your family got realy sunburned and redfaced! So he is fixing the photos to a normal tanned shade.
Mikeeee

JR6ooo4 said:
Maybe the whole problem is you and your family got realy sunburned and redfaced! So he is fixing the photos to a normal tanned shade.
Mikeeee

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I wish we would have gotten some color. We all wore SPF 50 and we came back as white as ghosts. No one believes we really went to WDW and now with (so far) no pictures to prove it, I'm beginning to wonder, myself. Thank goodness I have that picture of us from Expedition Everest!! I told my DH tonight, "Well, it looks like we're just gonna have to go back next July, again. I'm gonna have to take the exact same pictures, in the exact same spots." :teeth: :banana: :teeth:

I believe with macro you can still zoom the lens. I KNOW with super macro you can not zoom, but, you can get right up to your subject, so you don't need to zoom. I've been having fun with this setting for the last month and a half! :rotfl:
It definitely won't be hard, just play with it and you will get it. This camera is very different then my last in some ways and much better!! It just takes getting used to pressing different buttons.
:goodvibes
Enjoy!

tekmom said:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I wish we would have gotten some color. We all wore SPF 50 and we came back as white as ghosts. No one believes we really went to WDW and now with (so far) no pictures to prove it, I'm beginning to wonder, myself. Thank goodness I have that picture of us from Expedition Everest!! I told my DH tonight, "Well, it looks like we're just gonna have to go back next July, again. I'm gonna have to take the exact same pictures, in the exact same spots." :teeth: :banana: :teeth:
Now you're talking!!!!! :thumbsup2

Can a Canan S2 use a 4GB SD Card?
If so what ones have you used, Brand, and Speed, Price!
Did it work good in burst, continues, and video.

Yes i know its a risk and if the card is lost that is a lot more pictures then a 1gb card...
I want to have it mostly for video use, and well i plan to shoot alot, and use burst, continues as much as i can.

Any Help would be great.

I tried a 2 gig and the cam would not format it. Might ahve been that card though...

Mikeeee

Got my pictures this morning. When I went in, he seemed very nervous as I checked my memory cards and my pictures. I had 3 cards. 1g and 16mb from the S2-IS and a not yet full 256mb taken with our Nikon coolpix. Total pictures 646. Got doubles on them all and 3 disks. According to the display on my S2-IS cards, all of my pictures were taken at large-fine resolution. He claims he increased resolution to L-superfine with his software.. Pictures seem like all were taken on a cloudy day. Color doesn't seem as bright as it does in the display. For example, Cinderella's dress inside 1900 Park Fare in my display is light blue, on the picture it's kinda gray. Epcot ball and fountain on sunny day in display, sky not as blue as in display. Castle and flowers kind of dull. Grass at AKL not the bright green like in the display. Our clothes, slightly off on colors. (I got the colors truer on our tiny Canon photo printer at home. I didn't want to print all those pictures at home, that's why I went to him.) When I mentioned it he said that because my resolution wasn't at superfine and he had to correct it, the drawback might be color. :rolleyes: and he went back to how I must learn to set resolution correctly. Interestingly enough even on the Nikon memory card, color was off on the prints as opposed to the card. He then laughed nervously and said that next time he would have to charge me for all the extra work. He could not produce the reddish pictures that he claimed he had to correct and then tried to say that he never said reddish. At this point, I just wanted to pay and get out of there. He didn't want to take my AmEx as payment at first because he said they'll charge him "more than Visa" and this job cost him "so much" already. He never ever had a problem taking my Am Ex before. I told him it was all I had and if there was a problem, I wouldn't be able to purchase the pictures. He grumbled and took the Am Ex. It cost me $230.00. Price was higher than his original quote of around $180.00-200.00 but I have my cards and my pictures. I have also gotten wonderful advice here and learned a valuable lesson. Thank you all. :) Now where's the Tylenol? :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter