Canon S5

princesssfws

Mouseketeer
I just bought a new Canon Powershot S5 IS. So far, just out of the box, I LOVE it. The zoom is incredible, as is picture taking speed.

Anyone have any advice on what I definitely need to learn with this camera. I will be going to WDW in Dec with my DH and 3 kids. I love to take all types of pictures and like using my camera for movies as well, so I don't have to lug around 2 machines and all the kids stuff.

Any advice or great things that you have discovered with this camera would be greatly appreciated. Any tips that make using the different settings easier?

Thanks for any response.

I could've written your post! About the camera AND the trip! We're calling our Dec trip the "Eatin' Drinkin' and Takin' Pictures Trip" Here's hoping I kind of get it figured out before then.....

Got my S5 a month ago and have yet to really take any photos...My Dad had to have open heart surgery so it took a lot of time to get back into a routine.

I will be the one trying to learn how to use it on the car ride down to WDW...it's 32 hrs long so maybe I'll be an expert by time I get there.
;)

I could've written your post! About the camera AND the trip! We're calling our Dec trip the "Eatin' Drinkin' and Takin' Pictures Trip" Here's hoping I kind of get it figured out before then.....

Saw your sig and see that we are practically neighbors. We are in OP,KS. We leave on Dec. 11.

Well, I tried to read through the manual last night and I did find some fun stuff with changing the pics into different colors both before and after but a lot of the manual I don't understand. I'll probably stick to the auto mode for most of the stuff.

I know this is a popular camera, hopefully someone out there has used it and can give all us newbies some advice.

I have a Canon Powershot A540 and love it, but it lacks big zoom and image stabilization. I am wanting to upgrade, but do not understand a lot about the settings and such. I want something that gives me more zoom, better low light shooting and faster shooting speed (I seem to miss a lot of the action with my current camera).

I have looked at the Canon S5 and it seems like a good deal with a 12x zoom. But the Pentax K100D Super has a rebate and seems like it may be something that I can get more creative with later on. It comes in a kit with a 18-55mm lens. I do not understand the lens terminology. :confused3 What kind of zoom would I have with this type of lens? Also, you can't use the LCD screen to frame your subjects like a regular point and shoot camera?

Overall what would your recommendation be? They seem to be around the same price range.

Thanks.

First of all, framing your picture with a view finder rather than than an LCD screen is actually the better way to do it, except in very very rare cases. You hold the camera better in that manner, tight against your body, rather than at arms lenght with your hands and arms shaking.

To understand Lens zoom.... first off most of the p&s cameras give it to you in terms of 2x 3x etc..... all this means is whatever the big number devided by the little number.... it really tells you nothing else. so a 10-100 lens would be 10x a 15-150 lens is also a 10x ect...

To compare apples to apples we speak in terms of 35mm equivalents, so what would it be the equivalent on a 35mm camera. In the case of the pentax it is a 1.5 factor so the 18-55 is a 27-83 equivalent. The s5 has a 36-432 equivalent.

But with the pentax, you have a larger sensor, so better low light capablity, better bokah on shallow DOF shots. Better high ISO performance. The ability to change lenses, so you could actually get much closer than the 432 that the s3 provides, but would require extra purchases of lenes.....

So, it depends on what your looking for really, the Pentax would be much better if you plan on getting involved with this as a serious endevour, the s5 would be much easier if you don't want to get as serious.

The camera takes very good videos, IMO (I have the S2). Not as good certainly as a dedicated video camera, but sure is good from my perspective. Make sure to have large memory cards (2 gig or more) as well as fast ones....Ultra, etc. Also shoot highest quality. Enjoy.

OT, Sam, hope your dad is doing well.

I have both a S2 and a K100D. I always keep the S2 with me, but almost never use it. The kids and DW use it more. I also bought a cheap used 80-210mm lens for the K100D so I could have more range. I almost never use it either. It only came out of the bag one time in my last week long WDW trip. Used lenses are not a bad way to go when you are new to a DSLR. That way you are not laying out too much $$$ while you are getting a feel for what lenses you really need. Mine is certainly not that good of a lens, but it is at least as good as you are going to get with a p&s lens. Plus, it only cost me ~$30.

Kevin

The K100D is in a completely different league than the S5, despite similar price points.

The advantages of the S5 are that it's smaller, can do movies, and it's "all in one", ready to go with big zoom.

The K100D Super has significantly better image quality (the sensor is about 15x as large) and likely better build quality as well, more flexibility, interchangeable lenses (allowing not only a wide variety of common lenses but also things like very "fast" low-light lenses and fisheye that simply cannot be done with a point-n-shoot), more advanced controls, etc.

The K100D Super with kit lens will be adequate out of the box (similar range as a 3x zoom point-n-shoot) but to get the longer zoom, you'll need an additional lens. Or, you can get one single lens that covers a similar range but that can bump the price up a bit.

Hi, just wondering if anyone here has this camera? I just ordered it and can't wait to get it. Kind of curious on how well the color accent works. Any replys will be most appreciated:)

Hi, just wondering if anyone here has this camera? I just ordered it and can't wait to get it. Kind of curious on how well the color accent works. Any replys will be most appreciated:)

Check through the S3 thread ... S5 users are also welcome and well-represented!

There is no change between the S3's ability to color accent and the S5's; and, I know there are a number of color accent pics in our looooong thread. :)

Welcome to the "family". :grouphug: Don't forget to post your first pics!!

I wish I had the camera already. It is on back order so I will have it later this month. I've never had a Canon digital camera before. I've had 3 Kodaks and currently have a Sony-which I really like. Will post some pix as soon as I get it :goodvibes

I wish I had the camera already. It is on back order so I will have it later this month.

Where are you trying to buy it from? Buydig has it in stock for $344 with free shipping. They're very reputable and I've purchased from them and their sister site beachcamera several times. I always select free shipping with buydig and beach and I always have my orders within 1-2 business days. Amazon is also listing it as in stock for $340.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNPSS5

Where are you trying to buy it from? Buydig has it in stock for $344 with free shipping. They're very reputable and I've purchased from them and their sister site beachcamera several times. I always select free shipping with buydig and beach and I always have my orders within 1-2 business days. Amazon is also listing it as in stock for $340.

I bought mine from Buydig about three weeks ago. Good service and fast shipping.

Hi there, i have had my S5 for about 6 months and i LOVE it :cool1: ...if you want to see any kind of specific pictures, let me know and i can email you some....my S5 hit disneyland in september and i got great pics..another thing about the S5, the movie mode is incredible...i left my camcorder at home and took only the S5....you wont be disappointed!!!
sharon
me, dh, dd-16-:cheer2:, ds- 14-:goofy:, dd-12-:tink:
WDW-Dec 04-first disney experience for my DH, DD, DS, DD and first time at WDW for us all- :thumbsup2 9 nights at Pop Century
DL-MAY 06-first time at DL for DH and kids , and my 9th(but the first 8 were all by the time i was about 13) so it was all new to me-:thumbsup2 10 nights at Candy Cane Inn
DL-SEPT 07-another amazing DL trip and we got "dreamed"-fastpasses for the day-:thumbsup2 10 nights at the HoJo

:goodvibes :goodvibes I WANT TO GO BACK, I WANT TO GO BACK, I WANT TO GO BACK:goodvibes :goodvibes

I love buydig and beachcamera. The only problem I have with them is that you HAVE to be home whenever Fed Ex decides to deliver the package or it simply won't be left for you. This is good and bad. Good that your neighbors won't be helping themselves to your expensive packages, but bad since it will be shipped back to the company after three failed deliveries. You can't even opt out of this by writing and signing a note to them. If you order from them and want to get it when you aren't home, you have to leave a note stating that you would like to pick it up at your local Fed-Ex center. Mine is close to home, for others this may be a pain in the neck.

As far as the companies buydig and beachcamera go, they can't be beat otherwise.

I love buydig and beachcamera. The only problem I have with them is that you HAVE to be home whenever Fed Ex decides to deliver the package or it simply won't be left for you.

I usually have them ship to my work address, that way I always know someone will be available to sign plus I always get my order in one business day when I ship to the office vs two business days to my home. Not bad for free shipping!!

I usually have them ship to my work address, that way I always know someone will be available to sign plus I always get my order in one business day when I ship to the office vs two business days to my home. Not bad for free shipping!!

Thats a good idea. I'll have to try that, although I work on a military base so I'm not sure how that would work. I'll have to check into it.

I have the S5 for over a month and I am still trying to figure out how to use it. I hope I learn fast, because we are going to Disneyworld in less than three weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter