Cape May Dinner - $71 if you want crab legs!?

Ye
Just for some perspective, a friend of mine owns a mostly seafood restaurant, their cost on foods coming in from the boats and vendors has doubled or more just since last year. The price on lobsters is absolutely insane right now.... and we are in New England! Disney prices are of course nuts, so could they afford to eat some of the added costs? Of course... but it wouldn’t be great business and in the face of covid Disney has in my opinion shown they care more about the bottom line than a lot of things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, all prices of food have and will continue to rise across the board. As one restaurant owner told me yesterday in Houston, losing our energy independence, Covid closure, and cont. inc in unemployment checks has multiple negative repercussions on all types of businesses and we’re (public) is just witnessing the beginning of it. He said he cannot keep his diner open 5 days a week bc he cannot get his staff back to work. He ever offered them $500 bonuses and $200 incentives if they can get friends to fill out emplacement applications. Additionally, fuel cost continues to rise across the nation leading to bidding wars involving the logistical aspect in the restaurant industry. The increase in cost of fuel to transport food/products to their destination directly affects the consumer resulting in higher menu prices to assist in covering the difference which we are now seeing directly impact our pocket books.

When does Cape May open? I haven't seen the new menu, but this was our favorite breakfast location.

Last time we were there was 2011. Service was poor, the price was high (like all of Disney). The worst part was the "good stuff" like crab legs was always empty and slow to refill. That's what we were there for.
The one thing Disney is kind of known for is service so that might have been a fluke. For several unknown reasons they might have had trouble keeping the buffet stocked, either front or back. That being said we decided we'd give them another a shot. Based on what has been discussed here and the article We have decided Cape May Caffe is a one and done for us. I guess the up side of this is there will be one more available ADR for the rest of you. 😉

Last time we were there was 2011. Service was poor, the price was high (like all of Disney). The worst part was the "good stuff" like crab legs was always empty and slow to refill. That's what we were there for.
The one thing Disney is kind of known for is service so that might have been a fluke. For several unknown reasons they might have had trouble keeping the buffet stocked, either front or back. That being said we decided we'd give them another a shot. Based on what has been discussed here and the article We have decided Cape May Caffe is a one and done for us. I guess the up side of this is there will be one more available ADR for the rest of you. 😉
Unfortunately that was our one experience as well. We definitely won’t be returning for that price.

For $42/adult and $25/child, you get family style meal with options including steak, chicken, mussels, shrimp, clams and fish (plus bread, vegetables, salad, dessert, etc.). My guess is the vast majority of people going will stick with that base menu and be perfectly happy, just like they are at every other family style restaurant at Disney right now. A few may splurge for the crab legs or lobster, but for most that will not even come into play.

I certainly understand those that do not want to go back because they loved the all you can eat crab legs, but there are more than enough people looking for ADRs right now to fill that place in a heartbeat given that the base price is right in line with any other family style meal at WDW.

Waiting to see when this goes live if you can get refills of things. Im assuming you can like many other family style meals but I love peel and eat shrimp and usually ate mostly those at the previous version of the restaurant. Hopefully you can get more of whatever item other than the upcharges of course.

Waiting to see when this goes live if you can get refills of things. Im assuming you can like many other family style meals but I love peel and eat shrimp and usually ate mostly those at the previous version of the restaurant. Hopefully you can get more of whatever item other than the upcharges of course.
I was kind of assuming that dinner would be AYCTE, but the wording on Disney's website is not real clear. The website specifically describes breakfast as an "all-you-care-to-enjoy, family style breakfast". However, the description for dinner does not include that type of language.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/beach-club-resort/cape-may-cafe/

Anyone have any insight as to whether dinner is actually AYCTE? Given the setup I have to think that it would be, but again, the website is not real clear on it. Hoping maybe someone has seen something I am missing.

For $42/adult and $25/child, you get family style meal with options including steak, chicken, mussels, shrimp, clams and fish (plus bread, vegetables, salad, dessert, etc.). My guess is the vast majority of people going will stick with that base menu and be perfectly happy, just like they are at every other family style restaurant at Disney right now. A few may splurge for the crab legs or lobster, but for most that will not even come into play.

I certainly understand those that do not want to go back because they loved the all you can eat crab legs, but there are more than enough people looking for ADRs right now to fill that place in a heartbeat given that the base price is right in line with any other family style meal at WDW.
Unfortunately most of the food at Cape May, other than the crab legs, is garbage. But you are right - Disney thinks that first-timers, out of desperation, will fill all the restaurants (they will). But once things are back to normal, CM won't be around long with this setup.

Used to be a favorite but that was one of our last experiences as well. Never saw the server and multiple trays very slow to refill.

Wow!
Just looked at the menu for the new family style Cape May Seafood Boil.
$42 for the seafood (shrimp, mussels, clams) and another $29 per pound for crabs legs.

I used to eat probably 2 pounds when it was a buffet! Won't be doing that anymore!

Cape May Dinner Menu
That is ridiculous! I am so sick and tired of the price gouging. They should not have bothered offering them at all.

Yeah I would skip for that price. One pound is not allot and snow crab is nothing special. The only value is when it is a or for some people gourge yourself silly.

Now I'm super sad we didn't go in 2019 on our last trip :( I figured we'd be able to go next time.

Wow!
Just looked at the menu for the new family style Cape May Seafood Boil.
$42 for the seafood (shrimp, mussels, clams) and another $29 per pound for crabs legs.

I used to eat probably 2 pounds when it was a buffet! Won't be doing that anymore!

Cape May Dinner Menu

I've been buying snow crab legs to make at home in my instant pot and it costs about $22/lb. I can't imagine paying an additional $29 just to get the crab legs so I guess I'll have to stick w/ only making them at home but I will miss be missing the all you can eat from Cape May :sad1:

It doesn't make sense when you can go to Paddlefish and get King Crab legs for $75, but then again you are getting other food at Cape May

Unfortunately most of the food at Cape May, other than the crab legs, is garbage. But you are right - Disney thinks that first-timers, out of desperation, will fill all the restaurants (they will). But once things are back to normal, CM won't be around long with this setup.

Not so for all of us - it's our favorite restaurant on property and we usually go twice each trip. Yes, we love crab legs, but one cluster is usually my limit as I enjoy the other offerings also. We loved the clam chowder, fried shrimp and salads. Yes, we will still go, and am sure many others will go also. We have never had a bad experience with service or food with no lack of any dishes not being replenished as needed.The price was high our last trip there in 2019 so not surprised it has gone up more. Everything at Disney is expensive, so we accept it, or not go at all.

As long as we keep going prices will continue to rise for everything. Last time we were there in May it was packed. COVID days would have been the perfect time for a boycott. That might force prices down. No such luck. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter