Car Hire Info

Astrid

<font color=9933CC>Shoot for the moon. Even if you
A friend of mine is off to Orlando on Saturday and did a massive search around on all the car hire costs.

Thought you'd be interested to know that easily the best and cheapest was with Sunchase ( www.sunchase.co.uk ), many thanks to DaveFM for the tip, she said not only were they extremely helpful but also beat one of the quotes by 300 pounds!!

She's paying 361 pounds for two weeks hire and full insurance in an I4 car with two drivers and a tank of petrol.

The next cheapest (390 pounds) was using the Alamo number and discount details in SimonV's book.

Astrid x

....... thank you Astrid :) - duly noted. After her trip, I'd love to hear what her opinion was e.g. how efficient she found the company and condition of car etc.

Thanks for posting, Astrid. I've had a look at the site and they use Alamo, so presumably the standard should be good. I've never fancied using an off-airport company, but this is a good price. I'd be interested to hear of experiences with Alamo.

I have used Alamo on all our previous trips and have always been very satisfied with the service.

We have also booked through Suchase for our trip next week and they were much cheaper than any other quote !

Tyke

ONLY 6 Days to GO !!!!

:D

I believe, although I haven't tried them, yet, that Sunchase can provide Dollar Car Hire for an additional fee.

I'm off in three weeks so I'll be giving them a ring in a few days to see!

We go to WDW every year, and always rent a car. So I have had a certain amount of experience with various car rental agencies in the Orlando area.

First, renting a car from a location off site of the airport is not necessarily a bad idea. The bus is very convenient, and picks you up right outside the baggage claim area. From there it is a short ride to the car rental agency. By doing this, you are not dealing with confusing airport traffic and signs. My travel agent actually recommends going off site to pick up a car if you are not familiar with the roads and traffic near a particular airport. I assume you will also have to contend with making the adjustment of driving on the "right" side of the road. :)

Now that we are more familiar with the Orlando airport traffic and roadways, we usually get a car from an agency located at the airport. It is a little faster, since you do not have the little commute to the agency. However, the Orlando airport is not very conducive to hauling heavy luggage to the garage where the cars are parked. You have to drag yourself, luggage, and kids across a somewhat busy road. Then sometimes you have to then get all of you on an elevator to an upper level. Each elevator that stops seems to be completely full. You either decide to wait and hope for an empty car, or risk your safety dragging everything on to an escalator......:rolleyes:

Malcolm - do post back with your findings. We always use Dollar and I'd be interested to know if Sunchase are cheaper (at the moment we're planning on using www.floridacarhire.com who are cheaper than booking direct with Dollar).

I know what you're saying, Joanne, but we've got it all off to a tee now with Dollar. Dh goes to the Dollar desk whilst the kids and I collect the bags then it's down just one level in
the elevator to meet up with dh. The Dollar garage is right outside the door opposite the desk (or next to it if you happen to be using Virgin's dedicated Dollar desk).

Thanks for the link Ad, it is always handy to keep these things as you never know when you need them.:)

Thank you for these recommendations i only had car hire to arrange for our caribbean cruise leaving from Fort Lauderdale for August and the prices look great i am going to speak to the rest of the party and make a booking.

Eda

........ heard an advert on the radio coming back from the meet yesterday, ( don't know which radio station), for Avis car-hire in Florida (which is a coincidence as Astrid and I had just been talking about this at the DIS meet) and they are offering £133 a week BUT I don't know what that includes/excludes although the ad said if you can come up with a better offer, they will try to match it ..... the voice did hurriedly say "Terms and Conditions apply" but worth checking out?

Debbie,

I contacted Mr. Sunchase and enquired about Dollar. They do indeed provide Dollar if you ask for it.

I was looking for a 4x4 (posing again!!)

Dollar through Sunchase £236 pw;
Alamo through Sunchase £235 pw;

Although I booked through Worldwide Cars at villa owners rates the Dollar prices from Sunchase are very good.

Malcolm,

Thanks for posting back. That's £124/week less than booking with Dollar. We'll definitely give them a call nearer the time.

US car hire is MUCH cheaper if your employer or your spouses employer, or possibly your cousins employer has a corporate arrangement with one of the biggies of car hire. They want to see id when you book the car so use your own name of course, the discount code is what you need when booking.

I used to work for IBM and have rented in 1999 a lincoln town car in Orlando for 2 weeks for 130 dollars a week insurance inclusive. I also did IT support for the mouse in london (yes, i was part of the magic, though the concept of being called a cast member really didnt gell) and as the co-owner of Orlando, the car hire companies must have made a loss on us, there was only one rate, any size car, it was < 100 a week.

Funny story, Disney had 2 offices in London, Hammersmith and West Kensington, there was a minibus connecting them. Once the driver decided to stick a mickey on the side of the bus for fun (corporate anonymity is the creed in the ofices) and on arrival in Hammersmith, i couldnt get out as 6 japanese tourists got in, wanting the tour or something. Very embarassing.

If you know the offices, point out mickeys office to your kids from the hammersmith flyover, about 3rd floor on the right, the lady inhabiting the office has a huge mickey that she puts at her desk when she's not there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter