Car insurance rates

TimNDansMom

DIS Veteran
I just got a call from our insurance broker as our car insurance is up for renewal next month. Between our two "older" cars the insurance has gone up almost $400. :eek: She said that the company I am with had the best rates (of course this is amongst the companies they deal with). I've been with the same insurance company for several years and have all the discounts they offer (loyalty, accident free etc.) but I think it's time to shop around.

Just wondered, what you all do for car insurance each year? Did your insurance take a big hike this year?

I've been dealing with the same guy since, well let's just say for a very long time. When I phoned to just get a ballpark figure, I could have gone right thru the phone wire!

Even with all my discounts, etc., it still went up just over $100.00!OUCH!

Apparently due to the state of the world, insurance frauds, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!

Mine is based from the US and are no longer taking new policies due to the fact they are losing money everytime they write a policy!

I used one of those internet sites where they will find you the cheapest rate, wrong!

Good Luck.

Scratch
:smooth:

Good luck. Mine went up $240 a year. I can't move it at the moment though b/c I had an accident almost two years ago (May). I checked around and with an accident the rates at other companies are just out of this world. A lot more than I'm paying now. I was told that it's because of all the payouts the insurance industry had to pay out after 9/11.

Cdnmickeylover

I figure that the insurance companies are also trying to recoup the monies they have lost on the stock markets.

I just hauled out my last year's statements and a more accurate increase looks like it's about $325. for just the premiums. Then there's the tax and service charge I pay because I pay monthly.

Only one of our cars has full coverage. The other just has the comprehensive.

When Dan gets his G2 this summer.....ohhh, I don't want to even think of that!! :eek: (He's had Driver's Ed which should help)

I just bought a new car (03 Honda CRv). My monthly isurance only went up a buck and change a month. I had a 97 Civic. Their reason for only the small increase was the the theives like the Civics (it had an alarm as well).

I have a policy that includes my home, two vehicles and a G2 driver that renews in May03-Went up $200.00 over last year. Really shop your G2 drivers - you wouldn't belive the difference in rates. When DD got her G2 rates went anywhere from $2200 down to $800 (for an occassional driver). Rate for a 17 year old boy-went anywhere from $5500 to $3100 per year.

Heaven forbid a boy were to have his own vehicle and be the primary driver!! The insurance would probably cost more than the vehicle it's insuring.

We just got our renewal yesterday and we also have 1 vehicle (DH and DS drive) DS got his G-2 exit a few months ago and our policy had risen by over $200.00!:(

And to top it all off we had our car rental hit by a hit and run driver while we were in Kissimmmee 2 weeks ago buying dinner theatre tickets and I bet you our premiums will rise again due to this "thing" that decided it was better to take off rather than stop and admit that he hit us!:mad:

I received the paperwork in the mail today and it's actually gone up $390. over last year. I think part of the problem is the distance that Dh drives to work, about 150Km a day, so his car had the biggest increase.

Since Dan doesn't have his G2 quite yet, I don't have to pay for him, but when he does (soon), I wonder what it will go up to then. When he got his G1 last year, I spoke to the agent and she told me it would be around $700 as an occasional driver with driver's ed. (In light of what I've read here, I wonder if that was accurate???) There is a discount of 15 ~ 50% while he's away at university and therefore, not driving.

A letter accompanied the renewal stating all the reasons for the big increase this year.

I did go on one online site for Canadian insurance quotes and they were all higher than my premium, but it was hard to enter the exact information because I couldn't find the models of our cars.

My sister uses Belair Direct ~ anyone else use them?

Sammi, did your policy go up just because of the addition of your son? :confused:

That's good news about your insurance rate Mike! Congrats on the new car!

Hi Julie!:wave: No I don't really think that our premium went up as our DS is still on as an occasional driver but I have heard from many that all premiums have risen substantially.:mad:

Brandon's (DS) portion for his part of the premium is exactly what you've heard ($700.00) per year.:(

You can also check this website:(http://www.insurancehotline.com/) to get rates from about 5 different companies and when I did we came under what the others were quoting, probably because we get a discount for DH (over 50 years of age) and also we carry our home insurance with them too so that "supposedly" gives us a discount.I guess whining won't help us get lower rates will it? LOL;) :)

Second part to the graduated licensing program in Ontario-one after beginners but before permanent full G license.

I don't know yet what our rates will be for the new car, but I sure am glad that I don't have to pay whatever the rate is going to be for the kid that hit us! He was 20, still a G2 driver and the GMC truck that he was driving was registered in his name. Boy I bet his bill is going to go through the roof! (and not to be vindictive or anything, but I hope it DOES!!!!!) His company keeps calling to find out about our injuries, and I just keep saying that both DH and I got whiplash. I think they're waiting for the lawsuit that probably will never come!

ok, that makes sense thanx. We dont have graduated licenses here, once you take the test at 16 you get the same privs as someone who has had them for years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter