Caring for giants tour at AK

We did the tour last October and really enjoyed it. We are Annual Passholders and got a small discount for our tour.

We did the tour last October and really enjoyed it. We are Annual Passholders and got a small discount for our tour.

I thought there was a discount - we booked it when we were at AKL via a CL concierge CM and I mentioned that I had an AP, but they said no discounts. No biggie, especially as it goes to conservation efforts, but I thought I had read that before we left! Worth every penny to me either way!

The bad news for us ECV users is that it doesn't accommodate ECVs.

My Dad is an ECV user who is able to walk short distances with a cane (fused left leg after a car accident). When we took him, they tagged his ECV and left it in the van parking lot, then provided him a wheelchair to use at the elephant berm. Much of it was accessible via the chair (manual, with us pushing) and he walked around some as well. I did call ahead to let the cast members know he'd appreciate a chair and was told there's always one on the van ready for anyone who needs it.

We did this tour a week or so ago. I was looking for something special my 7 year old could do with me during our trip. This was one of the only tours she was old enough to do. We both really enjoyed it. Definitely worth the price. We got some great photos, and she learned some facts about elephants she was able to share with her class when she returned home.

My DS (9 at the time) and I loved this tour. So informative and a really nice little extra to your AK day. It's a really great value at only $30 and it's not a huge time investment at just about an hour in length. I highly recommend it.

I thought there was a discount - we booked it when we were at AKL via a CL concierge CM and I mentioned that I had an AP, but they said no discounts. No biggie, especially as it goes to conservation efforts, but I thought I had read that before we left! Worth every penny to me either way!

I just booked it yesterday and got a 15% AP discount. You might want to call again and ask about a refund or rebook for the discount.

I have it booked as well and was told no AP discount. And same as @TheFloatingBear I figured it is a good cause. But ours is admission for 5 and a discount would help. I guess I will call.

OK, that's it-I'm doing it! Do you call the tour number ahead of time to reserve it, or reserve same day in person? I'll be solo, so can't use the wheelchair, but it sounds doable for me without one.

I've done the tour twice and it was great both times. When I went last June, the CM gave me the AP discount, in fact she offered it. When I went again in February I asked about the AP discount and the CM said because the fee goes to animal conservation, they do not offer a discount.
Maybe it just depends on who you get when you call!

You guys sold me....I’m booking this tour for sure. Elephants being my most favorite animal and the fact the money goes towards such a great cause....and all of your feedback here....I’m sold. Thank you all so very much for letting me know how much you enjoyed this tour. I’m really looking forward to this. Thank you all so much. I enjoyed reading each of your experiences.

So I just looked on the WDW AP site and they don't have the discount listed for Caring for Giants. I must have gotten lucky because my total was $51 for the two of us. I also booked a Backstage Magic tour at the same time, so maybe she just thought that tours in general get the 15% off. Sorry if I misled anyone, I really thought it was 15% for that tour, lucky me I guess.

It had a discount when it first started. We had one too. They may have re-evaluated that since, as they say, the proceeds go to the elephants.

Did it with DS6 and DD11 and we absolutely loved it ! Baby Stella was recently born, and she was adorable -

Just a little tip --- my kids loved the cards ( made of elephant dung) w/ the lanyard that they gave us to wear -- they allow you to keep the card, but they take the lanyard back-

The kids were so proud to be "helping the elephants" (as they kept saying) and wanted to show off the card, so we brought lanyards with us to put the cards in after the tour was over -

Enjoy !

I'm very close to booking this tour for our anniversary trip in November. My DH's only ask is exactly how close do you get to the elephants? I think he's comparing this experience to a zoo. I've tried explaining that it's about how they care for the elephants, then you get to go out and see them, but just wanted some first hand accounts if you thought it was a "close encounter." :sunny:

I'm very close to booking this tour for our anniversary trip in November. My DH's only ask is exactly how close do you get to the elephants? I think he's comparing this experience to a zoo. I've tried explaining that it's about how they care for the elephants, then you get to go out and see them, but just wanted some first hand accounts if you thought it was a "close encounter." :sunny:

It is a great tour, especially for the money, but it is not a "close encounter". DW and I took this tour earlier this year and thought it was wonderful. Here is the link to a report:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/caring-for-giants-tour.3664524/

The pictures I included are cropped and make the elephants appear a bit closer then they are.

Josh over on easywdw also has an excellent report on the tour.

The only large animal close encounter we have had at AK was quite a few years ago during a behind the scenes tour that they no longer offer. The tour included time in one of the animal enclosures where we got to pet a white rhinoceros. Through some seriously large bars.
Wishing you a happy anniversary and a pixiedust: visit!

It is a great tour, especially for the money, but it is not a "close encounter". DW and I took this tour earlier this year and thought it was wonderful. Here is the link to a report:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/caring-for-giants-tour.3664524/

The pictures I included are cropped and make the elephants appear a bit closer then they are.

Josh over on easywdw also has an excellent report on the tour.

The only large animal close encounter we have had at AK was quite a few years ago during a behind the scenes tour that they no longer offer. The tour included time in one of the animal enclosures where we got to pet a white rhinoceros. Through some seriously large bars.
Wishing you a happy anniversary and a pixiedust: visit!
Thank you!! I think it will be a wonderful tour!

It had a discount when it first started. We had one too. They may have re-evaluated that since, as they say, the proceeds go to the elephants.

I booked it for next month, and got a DVC discount of 15%. So it's only $25.50. And the CM was very encouraging about working with me on mobility issues. I think she said that there were wheelchairs if necessary to get me from ECV parking places to the van, and also up the ramp to the viewing area. Sounds quite doable, and I can't wait to do this tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter