CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really wanted that room you could just leave it at 4 since it's probably only a couple hundred dollars. I get what you're saying though, but considering the price difference between DCL and Carnival I get it. I'm sure this is why DCL leaves so many rooms as GTY status now. They can assign rooms based on number of people in the cabin. If you book opening day with DCL they will accommodate you on whatever you want.
I thought of that right after I had switched it! I had no idea we would be moved, and I wasn't thinking quickly when it happened. Not a deal breaker anyway, but you are right it would have only been a few hundred.

I also saw a video of the Lido Buffet on Horizon where there appears to be 2 sets of doors at the entrance to keep the air conditioning inside! Like DCL has on deck 4.

Nice!

Also I notice they have those hand washing machines... DH and I love them. The water jets massages your hands at the same time and it feels great. :P

We booked the Horizon for Oct 6. I was booked in an aft extended balcony in Harbor Family section. We are cruising with friends who wanted the Harbor Family section for their kids. But yesterday, DH and I were looking at adding the drink package and for 8 nights it is a hefty cost. So we decided to downgrade to an inside cabin so we could add the drink package and a cabana at Grand Turk. Sad to not have my fave cabin but are we really in our cabins all that much anyway. Thanks for the Lido info. Going to watch that video now.

Can I vent for a second? I can tell you right now difference with carnival and DCL that is not very customer friendly. I have a carnival cruise booked currently for my daughter and myself. I was trying to get a cabin that would have a king/queen bed for myself and a bunk or sofa bed for my daughter but they won’t allow that. If there’s only two of you in the room they will only allow you to book a cabin with two beds. On Disney I was Able to book a room for just the two of us that actually had five beds only because it was connecting with my family’s room. This is quite frustrating to me I know it’s a silly thing but still I should be able to get the type of room that I want to get
you can book a cabin for 3 online with just two guests. I had an aft extended balcony on the Horizon that had the 2twins/king plus sofa bed booked for just DH and I. And our friends booked two suites side by side that each sleep 4 but they have 3 guests listed on each cabin. When they called Carnival to book, the guy would not allow them to but then they could do it online. Yes, there's a chance of getting bumped but they wanted harbor family suites....one for 4 and one for 2 and there were none that only slept 2 so my guess is they can't get bumped.

We booked the Horizon for Oct 6. I was booked in an aft extended balcony in Harbor Family section. We are cruising with friends who wanted the Harbor Family section for their kids. But yesterday, DH and I were looking at adding the drink package and for 8 nights it is a hefty cost. So we decided to downgrade to an inside cabin so we could add the drink package and a cabana at Grand Turk. Sad to not have my fave cabin but are we really in our cabins all that much anyway. Thanks for the Lido info. Going to watch that video now.

The Vista and the Horizon have a lot of outdoor spaces. DH and I had an interior cabin on the Vista and honestly we didn't suffer from it at all. We always found room to relax outside while drinking our coffee in the morning.

We get on board the Victory next monday!!! (Departing on sunday, staying in FLL that night!)

This week is going to be the longest week ever... Bleh.

We get on the Carnival Magic Saturday! 4 work days then we fly to Orlando... longest week ever :) I'll try to post a review when I get back but I'm not sure how to do pictures on here so it may be lacking those.

We get on board the Victory next monday!!! (Departing on sunday, staying in FLL that night!)

We get on the Carnival Magic Saturday! 4 work days then we fly to Orlando... longest week ever :) I'll try to post a review when I get back but I'm not sure how to do pictures on here so it may be lacking those.

I hope both of you have absolutely wonderful vacations! Enjoy your trips and safe travels.

When you hit the reply button, there is a "upload a file" button just beside "Post Reply". :)

I hope both of you have absolutely wonderful vacations! Enjoy your trips and safe travels.

Thank you so much. I'll keep you updated.

EDIT: Just found a new resizing app for my phone so I should be able to post a few pics on embarkation day! :D

Last edited:
Have great trips, you guys. And safe travels! I have been on the Magic....great ship. And on the Glory, similar to Victory, and she's not a bad ship just weird to navigate with MDR blocking walking from aft to forward (have to go up or down and then over). But once you figure it out, it's easy.

Test... Save a Sea Turtle excursion in Cozumel.
Have great trips, you guys. And safe travels! I have been on the Magic....great ship. And on the Glory, similar to Victory, and she's not a bad ship just weird to navigate with MDR blocking walking from aft to forward (have to go up or down and then over). But once you figure it out, it's easy.

I have sailed the Victory in 2016 (it was in fact the reason this thread was started)... Once I'm back home, I will update all the infos to make them up to date with new pictures.

I loved her before but I have a feeling that with all the new additions they made during dry dock in January, I'm going to love her even more.

Enjoy your cruises, I look forward to reading all about them when you return.

Jack

Here's my 3 day trip report just off Carnival Liberty. It's long sorry, feel free to skip. It was a fun cheap trip but I still love DCL 100 times more.

Thank you for your review! We are doing this same itinerary in June after our Disney trip. I had a question about kids on the boat. We've done CCL before, but only long itineraries. I have been hearing a lot about the shorter cruises being more adult. Were there a lot of kids on the boat? Our week long cruises were overflowing with kids, we want to be sure that there are other kids there for our daughter to play with in the kids club. I feel comfortable enough we can keep her away from some of the more crazy behavior (and hopefully we can join in a bit if she's in kids club :upsidedow). Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter