Carolfoys last trip - all in one thread - PICS ADDED!!

The trip up to Gatwick went too smoothly (I'm used to having mad last-minute bouts of things going wrong, missing cats, sick parents etc, etc) but no, caught the 3 o'clock from Exeter, arrived Gatwick ten to 7 and we were all checked into the Hilton by 7 o'clock. Had dinner in the restaurant (very expensive - £50 for 2 bowls of okayish pasta, 1 glass of wine, some fries and a coke!) The buffet looked nice but at £24 a head would have been a very expensive 1 course dinner (I could only eat 1 course).
Watched Afterlife then settled down for an early night.

Well, here we go, not a ridiculously early start which was amazing as Callum and I are usually awake at 2am on the morning of a disney trip, but more like 7am today. Great, time for a shower and a freshen up before going through to the terminal. A quick check in (gotta love premium!) and breakfast and it was through to departures. Now, my friends, I was most sceptical about flying TCD, especially as a lot of people on this board go in for TCD-bashing as a competitive sport so I was prepared for the worst. I hadn't shared my fears with Callum and Mum though as I iddn't want them to have any preconceived ideas. At best I was expecting a bunch of replica- Burberry-wearing chavs as flight attendants and the plane to be filled with fat people in sports attire (you know the sort - look like they've never done any sport in their lives), and at worst was expecting a 10 hour delay (as in our Virgin flight last year!, with no updates or info).
Well, we boarded and went upstairs to premium class, the seats were large and comfortable, in fact they were on a par with Virgin Premium, albeit slightly more 'worn' looking, but, hey, £300 each cheaper so I can forgive a little touch of shabby around the edges. The cabin crew were very smart and very courteous, One lady took a shine to Callum and he was waited on hand and foot. The food was excellent, I had a veggie pasta dish with hot bread rolls, salad, and the usual assortment of cakes, crackers etc.
We took off about 25 minutes late, due to a delay on the runway but landed on time in Sanford. All went very well, the captain kept us informed at all times when we hit a bit of turbulence and apologised for the late take off.
What could go wrong? absolutley nothing so far, the bit I'd feared the most (the flight) went perfectly and I wouldn't hesitate to book TCD again.
Landing into Sanford was fine, we arrived on schedule at 16:15, because we had the premium seating we were quick off the plane, through customs and baggage claim and were outside the terminal building at 16:45.
The transfer bus took a while to fill up but we enjoyed the blazing hot sunshine (what a shock to the system that was!) and a quiet ciggie before travelling down to Pop!.
This was the point where it all went a bit squiffy, 2 flights into SFB and 2 into MCO meant that the check in line at Pop! was huge and Disney obviously thought having 3 people on the desks would be adequate - it wasn't, we were 3rd in the queue and didn't get to our room until 8pm!!! I hate to think what time the family that was last got there - the check in staff were sooo sllooowww.
We were situated in the 80's block, number 8271, quite a long way from the food court but we did have a pool outside. after dumping the bags Callum and I headed back to the food court for refillable mugs, and snacks then it was an early night for us all.
Disney2006014.jpg

Disney2006063.jpg

Hi Carol,

Enjoying your trippie so far. I know what you mean about lines for check in. We had the same problem last yr at ASMo. We waited for about 45 mins before we were served. It was ridiculously slow and again three cast members for us as well.

Tell us about POR. We are debating about Port Orleans Riverside or a Villa for next year hence why we have not booked we just can not make up our minds.

I totally loved POFQ but know I wouldn't feel the same about riverside - its just too big, there are four bus stop areas there and being at FQ meant we were picked up/dropped off first so the busses were usually full by the time they got to riverside,be prepared to stand a lot! having said that it is very beautiful and the walks and quiet areas are lovely.

Hi

Problem with us now we are are a family of 5 and I think its only Port Orleans as a Moderate hotel will accomodate us. We cant afford any of the Delux hotels unforunately. We had transportation problems at ASMo on several occasions. At the end of the park days they decided they would share on bus stop for all three of the AS complex. The wait was long and not fun with 3 kids. This is why we would not return back to ASMo again. I would like to try Contemporary Resort mainly because they seem to have several offers on this hotel, again I dont think we will be able to afford this hotel either :sad2:

Thanks for your advice. I might drive on some days then.

Well of course we were up before the larks this morning, we wandered around the resort a bit and had an early breakfast. Caught the bus to MK and arrived in plenty of time for the opening ceremony, I thought I'd have to change our TCd ultimate ticket vouchers at guest services but Pop check in had put them on our room keys, so that was really useful.
The opening ceremony is just great isn't it? it really puts you in a disney mood.
Disney2006001.jpg

We rode Buzz twice, Callum won one, and I one won so we're level pegging, I'll sort that out another day and whip his butt!, we rode the TTa twice in a row as it was really quiet then hit the Indy car sppedway, mum drove so I was being flung around the car worse than BTMRR. we walked on Pooh, Its a small world and Peter Pan, watched Philharmagic (only complaint is that its about an hour too short! I love that show). We did the Haunted Mansion, BTMRR and Splash. I hate the queue for Splash, it never seems to move so I make a pact to never do it again unless we've fastpassed or its a walk on.
We met Push the talking trashcan in tomorrowland which was a first for us and I got some really good video footage of him.
We did POTC and enjoyed spotting the new Jack Sparrow additions then we caught the pirate show outside.
Cally got to skipper the jungle cruise which was also a first and he really enjoyed his few minutes of fame. It was really hot and the lovebugs were a huge problem. Many locals we met said it had been the worst year they could remember for them and there were swarms!
I had an ADR for 6pm at Tonys but we skipped it to go back to Pop to eat as we were more than a little bit tired.
At Pop I had a lasagne, Cally had a meatball sub and mum had salmon with rice, the meals were horrid looking but tasted great which we all agreed was the better of the two options. A long swim in the pool set us up for another early night.
Disney2006003.jpg

steps on the pedometer today - 16916!!! probably most of them were from walking to our room from the Pop food court :rotfl2:

Another early start for us, but this is where EMH really comes into its own! I know all the planning guides etc say to avoid it like the plague but we really made use of EMH this year, it was so ridiculously hot that the early mornings and late evenings were the best times to be in the parks anyway and we were glad everyone took heed of the 'don't go EMH' advice as we always found it to be quiet. By The Way, I've no idea how some of you do this in August, temperatures were topping 93 degrees every day now, in September so I'm not sure I could manage the parks any hotter.
on with the show, We went to Epcot for EMH and rode Soarin with fastpasses held in hand for when the crowds arrived. We rode living with the land whilst we were waiting for the fast pass time and really enjoyed it - last year we got a duff CM who mumbled throughout the whole thing so left our boat completely baffled as to what it was all about. This year they'd reverted to a voice over which was clearer and Callum really enjoyed spotting the hidden Mickeys.
After Soarin again we headed over to Test Track and fastpassed this, I was trying to persuade Callum to try Mission:Space now they have the 'chicken' version but he wasn't having any of it,
Disney2006022.jpg

it was a shame as we got surprise fastpasses for it with the test track ones, we gave them to another family who were very pleased. Instead I showed Callum the Mission:Space training lab and he spent ages on this while I sent daft postcards to work.
After Test Track we headed over to Canada as I had a 12:30 ADR at Le Cellier.Callum and I had the steak sandwich, Mum had the Salmon with a mango smoothie to drink and I had an icewine Martini - yummy!! the whole bill was around $75 including tip. We had strongly debated going for the dining plan this year but after they'd announced it was free we'd have lost more by cancelling the existing booking than we spent on food in total. This was probably the most extravagant meal we had and it was well worth it and for this one obviously the dining plan would have been great but we really wouldn't have made the best of it the rest of the time.
After Canada we wandered up to France, I wanted to see 'Impressions De France' as it is one of the only things we've not done in Epcot, (that, and Mission:space!) We quite enjoyed this film and as we left the heavens opened up, it was the famous half past three downpour and we hid out in the france gift shop for a while.
Disney2006031.jpg

A wander around Morocco, Italy and Germany and we caught the boat down to Mexico, Its now mid afternoon so we walked back as far as Spaceship Earth so Jeremy could lull me with his oh-so-soothing voice.
Back to Pop for around 5:30, a very delicious clam chowder for dinner and another evening spent in the pool.
steps on the pedometer today - 22103!!!

Thats a lot of steps!! Do you have legs like bambi now??! ;)

It was dull and overcast today but the temperatures wewre still high, We returned to Epcot to do the half of the world showcase we missed yesterday, we started in Norway and rode Maelstrom twice,
Disney2006035.jpg

Callum found the hidden Mickey in the mural so he was happy! We shopped in China and Mexico and rode' El Rio Del Tiempo' - cute show. We rode Test Track again as its Callums favourite but unfortunately we broke down, we were actually stuck on the last really steep camber on the fast bit of the track and were dangling sideways for about ten minutes, Mum was on the far left and could just about rest her head on the track next to her whilst Callum was getting squashed in the middle and I was on the far right, hanging out of my seat and trying not to squash Callum. It was quite funny and we got to ride again straight away after so that kind of made up for it.
We went back to The Land for a lovely lunch of Yukon Potato soup and a Soarin Creme Brulee then visited the aquarium for Turtle Talk - this was fabulous, so cute and funny, really enjoyed it. Callum spent a couple of hours in Innoventions so Mum and I shopped in Mouse gear and relaxed in the sun which came out with a vengeance mid afternoon.
returned to resort around 6:30 for another evening swim.

Pedometer today reads 18927

We actually slept in a bit today and were feeling the effects of 'park fatigue' already so we opted for a wee bit of shopping, The Premium outlets were calling us, so, as we didn't have a car we caught the MK bus then the monorail to the TTC, Lynx bus number 42 to Seaworld and transfer to bus 50 to premium outlets, whole trip $7.50 for the three of us, I like a good bargain! The premium outlets are a bit hit and miss, we've had a couple of really successful trips there and a couple of unsuccessful ones too. This one was rated in the middle, I found some mega bargains in the cosmetics store and the Disney shop had some stuff much less than the parks. I bought lots of nice baby stuff for my Best Friend, due in Feb, but its rather difficult to buy non specific gender bits, still, a few cute baby grows, towels, socks and mittens later and we retired to the food court.
Caught the bus back to the TTC and we were lucky to get the front seats on the monorail for the trip over to MK. Callum had done this last year but Mum and I missed out so this was another first for us, what a great view!
After a bit of relaxation (read: nap!) we caught a bus to Fort Wilderness, we had the delicious chicken for dinner at Trails End and took the connection down to the campfire. CM Dawn wasn't quite as entertaining as CM Cindy last year but it was a good evening nonetheless. A fair few marshmallows later and we settled down for The Emperors New Groove under the stars.
Disney2006051.jpg

We didn't realise it until the next day but it must have been here that we were all bitten! having never been very attractive to mosquitos (nor, to men unfortunately!) I hadn't used any repellant but we were plagued after this, a case of once bitten, more bitten I'm afraid.
retired to Pop around midnight.

Great trippies, Carol! :thumbsup2 The more I hear, the more I'm getting v interested in the idea of trying TCD next time around. Love the sound of that icewine Martini... :rolleyes1

CustardTart said:
Great trippies, Carol! :thumbsup2 The more I hear, the more I'm getting v interested in the idea of trying TCD next time around. Love the sound of that icewine Martini... :rolleyes1

It sounds like you are maybe as sceptical as I was, what with all the negative reviews, all I can say is, I wasn't disappointed, nor do I wish I'd spent more money to fly with Virgin, I can only suggest give them a go.

We knew that MNSSHP was on at MK today so we decided to have a water park day, Blizzard Beach has always been closed when we've been in the past so we couldn't wait to try it out. EMH meant that we could get in there at 9am which was nice to be able to have the choice of sun loungers and shade. Callum wasn't as keen on the main pool here as he loves the wave machine at Tl but it was nice to be able to actually swim rather than get drowned whenever the waves go BOOM. Callum was delighted with the toboggan run though and spent ages going back and riding again.
Disney2006047.jpg

We loved the ski lift to the top of the mountain but, fearing a major wedgie, we gave summit plummet a miss, we did manage to get my Mum to join us on the family raft ride though - a major achievement as she hates the thought of getting wet. This was a great ride and beats the one at TL hands down.
We had a very nice portion of fish and chips for lunch (Why are they 'chips' when served with fish and 'fries' when served with anything else?).
A long lie in the sun proved unrelaxing as the lovebugs were out in such force, everyone was twitching and spasming on their sun loungers like a bunch of naff 80's breakdancers.
We showered and changed and headed over to the Boardwalk for a wander around. It was too hot really to appreciate it but it looked like a lovely resort. We walked into Epcot from there and just wandered back down through to the entrance. Caught the bus back to Pop for another shower and freshen up and returned to Epcot for EMH.
Disney2006062.jpg

Illuminations - reflections of earth is a fantastic show and we watched this before moving around several of the food stands in the world showcase (Food and wine festival opened today) tried some lovely chicken in China and had a real laugh with the CM as he desperatley tried to pronounce 'skewers' like us, he couldn't so we taught him 'kebab' instead. Had some thai vegetable curry and a lovely tiramisu in Italy (washed down with a Bellini, of course).
Back to bed around midnight. The bus stops were packed but Pop had 3 busses come in at once so it wasn't a problem.
I don't understand for the life of me though as to why the majority of 20-stone+ adults find it impossible to put their 2 year old fairy light Princes and Pricesses on their laps? My 10 year old son will gladly sit on my lap to allow another adult to sit down so why can't little Tinkerbell suffer on a mothers knee for a 20 minute bus ride? This is the only gripe I have about the general behaviour at WDW. They all seem courteous and friendly, but when it comes to seats on busses they're like tigresses protecting their young.

Another hot and humid day, we're moving to POFQ tomorrow so spent the morning lazing and doing laundry, Callum did his diary and homework (hee hee - evil laugh!) and I called Bell services to arrange for our luggage transfer. We went back to MK for the evening and it was so much nicer doing the parks later on as the heat was more bearable. Looking forward to moving to POFQ as Pop is quite noisy and we are miles away from the food court. We rode Buzz again and I beat Callum (2-1 to me!), chilled out on the TTa for ages, I'm pretty sure I can recite that ride word for word. We rode Goofys Barnstormer which we'd never done (for some reason Callum always thinks this looks too scary and no matter how much I try and tell him its a babies rollercoaster he won't have it to be!) anyway its a cute ride but pretty short. We rode the railroad round the park and emerged at Splash, now this ride was a walk on so we did. We plunged the 5 storeys and got duly saoked then the ride broke down,
Disney2006072.jpg

we were stuck on the log for about 20 minutes before the Cms came through and helped us out to be walked out the back way. This was quite interesting as we could see the Brer Rabbit and the Mississippi steamboat up close. We also had priority fastpasses to use at a later date. BTMRR was next as always then we stopped at Pecos Bills, Mum and I shared a chicken wrap - my, they're huge!!! then back down to tomorrowland to get a good spot on the bridge for Wishes. I shed a quiet tear during this, its so beautiful and I wished my heart out that this really wouldn't be our last trip.
Back to Pop to finish the packing as we've an early start tomorrow.

We had a 7:30 wake up from Stitch this morning, luckily Bell services were collecting the luggage from the room so it was good we didn't have to drag our cases right through the parking lot to get to reception. We took the bus to AK and walked straight through to Dinoland for our 8:30 Donalds Breakfastosaurus. Now, we did Chef Mickeys last year and loved it but fancied a change this year, I really wished we hadn't, this was probably the worst meal we've ever had on Disney property, runny scrambled egg, really hard bacon, fruit that was on the turn. The characters came over for about 3 seconds each whilst they'd spent ages with us at Chef Mickeys. The doughnuts were quite nice though but all in all, not a great meal.
Disney2006080.jpg

Expedition Everest loomed and I've been trying to persuade Callum to try this all year, he was still undecided so I told him to get a fastpass and decide later. We did this witha return time of 11:30. We rode Dinosaur (another one my son refused to do lats year - he has very strange ideas of what's going to be too scary) needless to say he loved it. we then did the Kali river rapids and I was lucky(?) enough to get the seat that goes down backwards, hence a thorough soaking, honestly, I had wet knickers all day!, we caught flights of wonder which is one of the under rated shows at AK, its a wonderful bird show, and very funny. Then it was Everest return time... would he do it? we had our fastpasses and walked straight through. Mum was in the very front carriage - not a great place for a rookie, and Cal and I were right behind. Yeek! what a fabulous ride, we screamed like girlies all the way round, I was terrified, it was so funny! the backwards bit is the worst bit, the rest is like a bigger BTMRR. well, we survived, I looked at Callums little ashen stricken face and he says 'Mum, can we ride it again?'.
We all had the jelly legs for a bit so headed for Pocahontas, again another show we've never caught and although it was aimed at the tinies it was lovely and I want a possum!!
We saw the festival of the lion king for the umpteenth time but I never get bored with this, its so uplifting.
A late lunch at Pizzafari then back to Dinoland as Callum wanted to play in the boneyard. We were once again feeling the strain of the heat but my knickers still hadn't dried properly!
It was a nice feeling though to leave AK to catch the bus to POFQ. especially as the bus stop was nearer.
We checked into POFQ at around 5 o'clock, the check in was quick and smooth and they transferred the remainder of our ultimate ticket to our new room key, we had a ground floor apartment in block 7, so once again was as far from the food court as possible, although with the resort being much smaller thsi wasn't a problem. The luggage arrived within minutes and we actually made the effort to unpack here. The room was a lot bigger and it was nice having the privacy curtain cordoning off the sink area, especially as we were on the ground floor. It was nice, too having 2 sinks and extra seating area.
Disney2006109.jpg

Callum dashed off for a swim as he was dying to try out the serpant slide and later on we caught the little boat to Downtown Disney.
A lovely evening meal at Earl of Sandwich and a bit of shopping and we retired back to POFQ. Mum has cheered up amazingly, she has spent the last week trudging along and I could see she really wasn't enjoying herself but the atmosphere at POFQ made an immediate change in her (and me too to tell the truth).
Back at POFQ I found myself reacquainted with an old travelling companion of mine, Mr Baileys Irish-Cream, now, he's been a reliable and trusted friend over the years and it was lovely to see him again. We spent a few hours confiding our woes to each other then had a lovely nights sleep!

I'm really enjoying reading your trip report.
Sorry to hear about donalds breakfastosaurus, that's what i have booked for our DS 3rd birthday. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter