Carsland here we come - Update 23/10

Hope you all have a fantastic time! I can hear you singing "Sweet Caroliiiiiiiiiiine" from here:rotfl2:

Looking forward to hearing all about it, especially your take on V Australia and of course Carsland!!!

Hi all

Just back today. Jet lag headaches all around but wow what a great trip.

Lots to tell and will start the TR soon.

Highlights were definetely Carsland, transformers ride at universal and Neil diamond at the Greek.

More soon and thanks to all for your kind wishes.:cool1:

Oh wow, that went quick - for us anyway :lmao:. Hopefully it didn't go quite that quick for you.

Can't wait to hear.

welcome back! hope you had an amazing time. can't wait to read your TR when you do put it up.

cannot wait to see your impressions of carsland :)

Hi all

Just back today. Jet lag headaches all around but wow what a great trip.

Lots to tell and will start the TR soon.

Highlights were definetely Carsland, transformers ride at universal and Neil diamond at the Greek.

More soon and thanks to all for your kind wishes.:cool1:

Welcome home! Really looking forward to hear an Aussie's view of Carsland!

Hope you all have a fantastic time! I can hear you singing "Sweet Caroliiiiiiiiiiine" from here:rotfl2:

Looking forward to hearing all about it, especially your take on V Australia and of course Carsland!!!

Would you believe when he sang this one he stopped half way through and invited a friend of his up to stage to help him sing. None other than jack black Of Kung fu panda fame to help him sing it. He was sitting in the crowd and got up in a tour tshirt and the dirtiest pair of trackie dacks I have ever seen.

The crowd went nuts and he even apologized for his clothes not expecting to be singled out. He has a good voice and I understand he plays in a band. Only in Hollywood!!!!!!!:dance3:

Welcome back! It sounds like you had some great experiences. Really looking forward to TR.

August 23
With a spring in our step and a quick check that all the appliances were switched off we made the 1hr trip to Melbourne Airport in good time. They have a good long term car park, reasonably priced, and well serviced and before no time a bus had arrived to take us up to the terminal.
We walked into the terminal and had to walk no more than 20metres to the Virgin Australia international check in lines. The economy line was very full already but fortunately I am a platinum flyer with virgin so was able to check in at the business class counter where there was no line.
Check in service was prompt and friendly and as the boarding passes were coming out the agent asked what class I was travelling in. I mentioned economy and she said ‘not today…it’s a full plane and we have you in premium economy’. With a big thank you, priority tagged bags and an express card through the bumbling ****ies in customs and immigrations we were on our way.
Those customs people really must go to charm school mustn’t they? The most unfriendly bunch of public servants in the country they were at their usual worst as we went through. Long lines ( even the priority one), no organisation and a ‘who gives a fig’ attitude.
Once through we toddled off the Air NZ Koru Club lounge and had some breakfast. Pancakes and frittata were the order of the day and some juice for all. There is a kids room there and before long the kids were watching something in their own little world.
We got called on time and made our way to the gate. We were able to bypass the queue and head straight in, using the business class line, and took our seats in no time. This was our first international sector with VA and within a minute of sitting down we had some champagne and OJ served up. A very nice touch. Boarding seemed to take forever , and as I understand it was a very full flight. Grateful for our upgrade we settled in for take-off and we departed about 20m late for our direct service from Melbourne to LAX.
I could go on forever about comparisons between VA and Qantas but it’s easier to sum it up this way. The seats/service/drinks were good if not a bit better than Qantas. The inflight entertainment & food were below the Qantas standard. The food in particular was economy like and just passable. They really do need to look at this for a premium cabin ( we payed $500 for economy seat, premium economy is $1500 …ie: not worth 3 x the price if you paid yourself).
The flight was uneventful, the extra space welcomed and as we got closer to LA the fact we had all only had a little bit of sleep didn’t matter so much. We touched down to a very overcast day and pulled up at the terminal 5 . this proved to be very very good as we were the only international flight and customs and immigration took less than 15minutes. That is not the experience we have had coming into TBIT ( the real international LAX terminal). So happy days for all.
We walked out to be greeted by a 25.0c morning and within 10min our prime time shuttle greeted us to take us direct to the Hilton Universal City hotel to begin our stay. Our driver clearly wanted to get us into theme park mode as his driving skills were only marginally better than the Simpsons ride at Universal studios and I did mention to the kids we had our very first theme park ride of the trip on our way to the hotel.
Next up……the Hilton , Universal Studios and the new transformers ride!

What a great start to your TR! I particularly enjoyed reading your Qantas Virgin comparisons. Like you, we are long time Qantas customers and experiencing Virgin internationally for the first time in 4 sleeps. It's good to hear they stack up similarly.

Eagerly awaiting your next installment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter