• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cast Members...Can your guests get the Dining Plan?

bosspaige

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I am planning a trip with my family and we are SO lucky that my best friends mom works at Disney. She will be able to get us into the parks and a discount on our hotel. Do you know if we can also get the dining plan or is that not an option since we are getting the other discounts. We hate to keep bothering her with questions as she is doing us a HUGE favor already! Thanks for your help.

-Andrea

technically it is not an option they way you have it stated because with the exception of AAA no room discounts can be coupled with dining because only one discount is allowed and dining is considered the discount. However I do wonder if since CM's get discounts on tickets and discounts on room if there isnt a discounted package available to them.

I work at the Disney Reservation Center and there are no discounts for CM's for the dining plan or any packages. The Dining Plan is not even available to CM's because we book room-only reservations. The only way we would be able to be on the DDP is if Disney let the CM's try it as a promotional thing. :sad2: The bright side is to look at all the other great perks and discounts we get! :woohoo:

DVC members can now purchase MYW dining. I'd have your BF Mom check around 2 months before your trip and again about a week or two before.

It looks like Disney is in the process of seperating child and adult credits. I wouldn't be shocked if Disney expands the number of guests who are eligible to purchase MYW Dining.

What makes it look like they are seperating child and adult credits ? Wondering, since my 7 year old eats like an adult !!

Va-bear said:
What makes it look like they are seperating child and adult credits ? Wondering, since my 7 year old eats like an adult !!

The new online brochure has a 5th page that says something like child entitlements can't be used for adult meals.

Your 7 year old is required to eat off the child's menu. Your resort card will say something like 3A 1C and many restaurants won't even let you order 4 adult meals. Even under the present sytem/rules you'll have a problem. You probably should go to buffets.

Thanks for the answer! No, I really was just curios - since he is seven and the people serving him can see he's seven. (And, ironically enough, that was part of my interest - if he's eating a LOT off a buffet I want them to know to charge him a child credit - which they would since the cards indicate children vs. adults.) Trust me I'm not trynig to cheat Disney - I think it's a fair and good deal. Thanks again!

The fact that they are spelling out the rules more clearly doesnt mean they are actually going to change the way the computer works the credits. It has always said that children must order from the childrens menu which between that and the price spawned a lot of the debates/flames about well it implies there is a difference but it doesnt say there is well this person said this I was told that. However with less vague wording I think a lot less people will feel they have a right to use it how they want, and a lot more restaurant cm's will be insiting on things being ordered by the book. I just wish it was consistant. I havent had a problem we generally go with it the children use childrens credits for childrens meals / adults use adult credits for adult meals. Although hot dogs are available....but not as a child's meal is rediculous. But to have had several different cm's tell me to let the kids share mine/share with each other/pay oop and save the extra credits to get myself or another guest an extra meal (when I was booking one room with dp and one without) - then hear about how many people get busted on this kind of thing bugs me. If it is the rule it is the rule it shouldnt be left up to customer/cm interpretation. There computer should be able to handle whatever rules they want to set. It shouldnt come down to at this place you can do it this way but that place wont let you......

Lewisc said:
The new online brochure has a 5th page that says something like child entitlements can't be used for adult meals.

I just read the new online brochure. You can't get much more explicit than that. It pretty much clears up Disney's intent.

So the official answer is that CM's can book room-only? What if a CM booked me a room and then at check-in I asked to add the dining plan?

Stitch1404 said:
So the official answer is that CM's can book room-only? What if a CM booked me a room and then at check-in I asked to add the dining plan?

You can not add the dining plan to a discounted room only reservation. When you check in, they know exactly what type of room reservation you have and your CM contact has to be there to check you in with their ID, or stop by the resort prior to your arrival to show their ID and have it noted on your file. You have to buy a package which means that it is paid for 45 days before arriving, and it must include the purchase of a ticket (the same size for your entire party) and you have to pay full price for your room. Believe me, my hubby was a CM until late last year and only now, as DVC members, can we enjoy the perk of adding the DDP. Only DVC members and their renters can add the dining plan to their room only reservation when using their points and even then must add it via phone call to member services 3 days before their arrival.

Dining plan has to be part of a package which means room, tickets, and dining are purchased together...or added in to total all three of those things atleast 3 days prior to arrival (some cm's say different things and DVC'ers have been able to add it upon arrival). but if you have a discounted room (most discounts anyway) reservation and tickets even if you did it at the same time, you don't have a package. You have to add dining to a package.

You cannot have dining plan. CMs can't have dining plan unless they want to pay their own admission and rack rate for a room so guests of CMs can definitely not do it. You cannot add the dining plan at check in and they will know what kind of room discount you have at check in (The CM has to show their badge). The dining plan has to be part of a package booked in advance of your stay. Only DVC is allowed to add at check in.

We have a family member that is a CM. We are going during free dining and paying rack for the hotel and buying a park ticket. It was the best value for us. If we go when it's not free dining, we pay OOP for our dining choices since we cannot qualify for the dining plan.

The change in the wording of the brochure is the one of the first steps in closing the loophole. One of the other ones was new directions to the restaurant managers and staff. Eventually there will be changes to the cards if necessary.

Stitch1404 said:

You can have the great discount that the CMs can book, sometimes as much af 50% off, or the dining plan, not both.

Same as those that book a room with an Annual Pass discount. They can have the discounted room or the dining plan. Not both.

Got it. My sister is going to be a cast member as of August 2nd so I'm just trying to learn all the details!

Stitch1404 said:
Got it. My sister is going to be a cast member as of August 2nd so I'm just trying to learn all the details!

Congrats to your sister, and the great discount. You can not beat it. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter