Caution: Scammers working Walt Disney

MM32830

DIS Veteran
Just saw on WFTV Channel 9 news that scammers are working the Disney area.

A family on vacation answered a knock on their Disney hotel door. They were told they won a prize in the Year of a Million Dreams and all that was needed was a credit card number to hold the prize. They gave the scammers their credit card number (they were excited, never thinking it could be a scam). Shortly after they realized they were scammed they called their credit card company and fraudulent charges were already made.

Disney officials are warning all guests that cast members awarding YOAMD prizes will never ask for a credit card number.

Armand

That's odd...I don't see anything about it on WFTV's website. Can anyone find a news link?

That's odd...I don't see anything about it on WFTV's website. Can anyone find a news link?

I have the link... I'll just need a credit card # and I'll send it to you... ;)

One more piece of evidence that, as the Podcast crew has said many times, just because you're at Disney, don't think the real world rules don't apply... Very sad.

http://www.local6.com/news/15433345/detail.html?rss=orlpn&psp=news

At first when I googled it, all I could find were people posting the story on the Dis!!! Here's what the story says:

Disney Hotel Guests Targeted By Scam Artist

POSTED: 12:28 am EST February 28, 2008
UPDATED: 12:44 am EST February 28, 2008

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Police are searching for a scam artist who has conned Disney hotel guests out of hundreds of dollars in recent weeks, Local 6 has learned.
Sheriff's deputies said they believe a con man is hanging out in a hotel lobby on Disney property, listening in on conversations and then making a phone call to the victim's room to scam them.
At least nine guests have been targeted, officials said.
Massachusetts resident Catherine Maybie said she checked into the Polynesian Resort on Jan. 17 and was soon contacted by a person offering a great deal.
"We're in the room and someone calls us and said they had a deal for us," Maybie said. "For $10 a person, (we) could go to the Polynesian Luau or Hoopie-Doo Review (shows)."
Maybie said the man knew her name and room number so she offered to pay.
"It was stupid of me," Maybie said. "I should have said, 'You already have my credit card number.' But I gave him my credit card again."
The man told Maybie to wait 24 hours before picking up her tickets at the front desk.
She said when she went to pick up the tickets, they did not exist.
Soon after, Maybie found $1,500 worth of fraudulent charges on her credit card.
Disney officials said cards have been placed next to the phones in rooms to remind guests to protect their credit card information and that cast members will never call them asking for their credit card numbers.

Okay, so calling on the phone, NOT knocking on the door. Thanks for the info!

That is awful! I hope those scammers get what is coming to them, a swift kick in the rump by a Goofy sized shoe (and then some).

I noticed that placard by the phone in our room when we checked in on 2/15...so I wonder exactly how long ago it happened, and how long it's been going on.

Think about how many times you've stood in line waiting to check in, holding all your documents in your hand that clearly have your name, address, etc. visable. All someone would have to do is stand close enough to see the information and then call the resort later and say: "Can you please connect me with John Doe". The call gets transferred, you pick it up. They wouldn't even have to wait and see what room number you're in. So easy -- it's sad!

That's a problem you get when you have a secret random Prize patrol. You got to be smart.

As usual it's good that Disney made efforts to make it right.

TU for posting this.:thumbsup2

Yikes, they had their room# and their name.

Yea, they need Bawbs magic boot in the dupa:mad:

How could someone really fall for that? Seriously. :confused3

I think people get wrapped up in being at the Happiest Place on Earth. No where in that slogan does it say the Safest place. You just have to keep your head screwed on and not get swept away in the "Magic".

I know this story and one on the transportation board made us decide we are going to tie our Credit Card to our KTTW not our Debit Card. If something gets messed up I would rather have my CC tied up not the cash in my checking account! We never use our CC but will be at Disney in two weeks.

I have to agree and while this is sad, with all of the crap and scams going on in the world today, I am not sure I would trust my best friend with my credit card much less anyone else.

I do hope they catch these scammers and lock them up for a while.

That's a problem you get when you have a secret random Prize patrol. You got to be smart.

The Dream Team does not contact people via phone though--or make you pay for prizes.

While I appreciate Disney trying to right this injustice for the guests so as to not completely destroy their holidays, they really aren't responsible... People should never give their credit info to someone who calls them via telephone. That's just stupid in this day and age--even at Disney! Being caught up in the magic is no excuse for blatant lack of judgement.

All in all, it's just sad that people feel the need to do such awful, needless things...:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter