CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps this is a good case for a headline that creates a specific thought.

The article states: "Nine of those companies {the ones who are developing/researching a vaccine} on Sept. 8 pledged to put science and ethics first, prioritizing safety over speed in the development of any vaccine they submit for emergency approval. The FDA has since said drugmakers have to meet a higher standard than normal for such authorization."

While Gates may have his reservations about the impartiality of the FDA and CDC he did go onto say in the article: "While acknowledging that side effects are always possible, Gates said he expects a safe vaccine to come out of the development effort {to which I assume he means the efforts the companies are making}."

So I can understand, and actually don't disagree, with having a back of your mind concern about how much political sway is going into the FDA and the CDC I don't quite understand what your "promising" comment means. Sounds like Gates thinks despite issues that he has with the present state of the FDA and the CDC that ultimately a safe vaccine will come out it all somewhere in the world.

Remember the name BLAZE-1:

Eli Lilly announced this morning that their monoclonal antibody drug does reduce the rate of hospitalization for mild to moderate cases of Covid.

Interestingly, the active component of the drug was created from the antibodies of ONE patient early on in the crisis.

More news: the Federal Government just announced that the first approved vaccine will be available nationwide 24 hours after approval.

Mass manufacturing, transport, delivery and storage will all happen before approval?

More news: the Federal Government just announced that the first approved vaccine will be available nationwide 24 hours after approval.

I just read the press release from Health and Human Services and the only reference to 24 hours I saw was in regards to Operation Warp Speed meaning departments and resources were working 24/7 to achieve the goal of a vaccine as quickly as possible.

I read the press release of the Department of Health and Human Services itself, in other words direct from the horse's mouth, NOT a news article. DHHS, DoD and CDC are named in the press as the agencies heading up the initiative.

ETA: I sought the information out directly because of your words in particular "the federal government just announced ...". I wanted to know exactly what the federal government had in fact announced.

I read the press release of the Department of Health and Human Services itself, in other words direct from the horse's mouth, NOT a news article. DHHS, DoD and CDC are named in the press as the agencies heading up the initiative.

That's awesome. Thanks.

Today Redfield testified that he believes a very limited supply of vaccine will be ready sometime between November and December but wide distribution to the general public in a way that would allow us to return to regular life will likely not be completed late second quarter or third quarter of 2021.

There is no doubt it will take some time for full distribution.

We have to be careful, since DH is immunocompromised. He can't have 'live' vaccines and really, we are going to be cautious about any new vaccines that come out for a little while.

For DS or myself to get a 'live' vaccine, we would have to be out of the house away from DH for 3 weeks after the vaccination. We get flu shots (not the nasal spray, as that's 'live'), and are all up to date on all vaccinations, except DS needs the meningococcal vaccine, and the HPV one, both of which are scheduled to be done at his next physical, and maybe a TDaP booster (been 10 years since his last one). He might need an MMR booster at some point, but he'll be out of the house by then.

Shot descriptors per HHS:
'Live' = MMR, chickenpox, rotavirus, smallpox, yellowpox; contain small amount of weakened live virus; 1-2 doses will protect for lifetime, usually.

'inactive' = Hep A, flu shot, polio shot, rabies; use killed version of germ; need several doses over time.

'subunit/conjugate/recombinant,polysaccharide '= Hib, HepB, HPV, Whooping Cough aka Pertussis, Pneumococcal, Meningococcal, Shingles; use specific pieces of germ, like protein, sugar or capsid; strong immune response, but can be taken by almost everyone who needs them; may need boosters to keep going.

'Toxoid' = Diptheria, Tetanus; use toxin made by germ, create immunity to parts of the germ instead of the whole germ; immune response targets toxin not germ; may need boosters.

We have to be careful, since DH is immunocompromised. He can't have 'live' vaccines and really, we are going to be cautious about any new vaccines that come out for a little while.

For DS or myself to get a 'live' vaccine, we would have to be out of the house away from DH for 3 weeks after the vaccination. We get flu shots (not the nasal spray, as that's 'live'), and are all up to date on all vaccinations, except DS needs the meningococcal vaccine, and the HPV one, both of which are scheduled to be done at his next physical, and maybe a TDaP booster (been 10 years since his last one). He might need an MMR booster at some point, but he'll be out of the house by then.

'Live' = MMR, chickenpox, rotavirus, smallpox, yellowpox; contain small amount of weakened live virus; 1-2 doses will protect for lifetime, usually.

'inactive' = Hep A, flu shot, polio shot, rabies; use killed version of germ; need several doses over time.

'subunit/conjugate/recombinant,polysaccharide '= Hib, HepB, HPV, Whooping Cough aka Pertussis, Pneumococcal, Meningococcal, Shingles; use specific pieces of germ, like protein, sugar or capsid; strong immune response, but can be taken by almost everyone who needs them; may need boosters to keep going.

'Toxoid' = Diptheria, Tetanus; use toxin made by germ, create immunity to parts of the germ instead of the whole germ; immune response targets toxin not germ; may need boosters.

Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine candidates are using mRNA technology which would not constitute a live vaccine.

I don't believe any of the vaccines in development are live vaccines.

The ones most likely to be used in the USA are mRNA vaccines. There is no actual virus contained in these, just the blueprints for your immune system to create antibodies.

Understood. That comment was specifically for that poster who stated earlier that her argument for not getting this vaccine quickly was that she had an adverse side effect from another drug 12 years after she started taking it.

Just want to clarify.
I never said I had an adverse reaction after 12 years of taking it.
I had been taking a medication for years when the FDA came out with a black box warning on it, and no longer recommended for long term use due to the possible adverse long term effects. This was a medication that was approved for long term use 12 years prior to that.
My point being that approval for a medication doesn't necessarily mean they have enough data to really know what the effects are. (You had stated previously that there was enough data for approval for the vaccine).
If you personally are comfortable with the amount of data that can be collected in months with a small fraction of the population taking the vaccine that's fine.
I personally am not because my experience shows me that a few months isn't nearly enough time to collect enough data for any real knowledge of long term effects. Long term effects are something I am concerned with, with any medication. YMMV.

I go for regular testing due to the length of time I was on it. At this point no signs of adverse effects however they show up later in life so now that I'm older it could show up, or hopefully not.

Just want to clarify.
I never said I had an adverse reaction after 12 years of taking it.
I had been taking a medication for years when the FDA came out with a black box warning on it, and no longer recommended for long term use due to the possible adverse long term effects. This was a medication that was approved for long term use 12 years prior to that.
My point being that approval for a medication doesn't necessarily mean they have enough data to really know what the effects are. (You had stated previously that there was enough data for approval for the vaccine).
If you personally are comfortable with the amount of data that can be collected in months with a small fraction of the population taking the vaccine that's fine.
I personally am not because my experience shows me that a few months isn't nearly enough time to collect enough data for any real knowledge of long term effects. Long term effects are something I am concerned with, with any medication. YMMV.

I go for regular testing due to the length of time I was on it. At this point no signs of adverse effects however they show up later in life so now that I'm older it could show up, or hopefully not.

fair enough. What would be an appropriate timeline in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter