CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great piece on NPR's website right now: one of the major reasons for better ICU outcomes (reduced mortality) is the doctors themselves. Worldwide, doctors are getting better at treating late stage patients and they now know what actually works to help people stay off ventilators and recover.
Very true. Scientists, researchers and doctors are learning as they go and they take that new knowledge and make adjustments, this is how science should work.

Fascinating new study out today from the National Institute of Health:

76 hospitalized Covid patients were studied for the effects of Vitamin D supplementation while hospitalized.

26 were not treated with Vitamin D- 13 of them ended up in the ICU.

50 were treated with Vitamin D- ONE of them ended up in the ICU.

Treasury Secretary Mnuchin: 150 million point of care immediate tests will be distributed in America between October 1 and the end of the year.

Hmm, lots of RA drugs trigger what they call a MS like syndrome when they alter the immune system so it that ends up turning on the body it is trying to protect, it's in the black box warnings on a few medicines but most people never ever read any of it, even people who take the stuff don't bother with the tedious read. Curious though

Hmm, lots of RA drugs trigger what they call a MS like syndrome when they alter the immune system so it that ends up turning on the body it is trying to protect, it's in the black box warnings on a few medicines but most people never ever read any of it, even people who take the stuff don't bother with the tedious read. Curious though

My mother in law said no matter what, she's taking it. I think a lot of people feel that way.

Fascinating new study out today from the National Institute of Health:

76 hospitalized Covid patients were studied for the effects of Vitamin D supplementation while hospitalized.

26 were not treated with Vitamin D- 13 of them ended up in the ICU.

50 were treated with Vitamin D- ONE of them ended up in the ICU.

Glad to see studies like this make the mainstream news.

There have been anecdotes surfacing among the functional medicine sites about boosting ones own immunity with proper food, sleep, and nutrients and overall well-being to help ward off effects of Covid 19 and any other diseases.

HUGE news today: Johnson and Johnson's phase 3 study begins today. This is big for three reasons:

1. Reputationally, JnJ has a level of trust with the American public that some of the other pharma companies don't have.
2. This study is by far the largest yet with 60,000 enrollees.
3. This is a ONE DOSE vaccine which will halve the time needed to study its efficacy and halve the amount of product needed to vaccinate people.

HUGE news today: Johnson and Johnson's phase 3 study begins today. This is big for three reasons:

1. Reputationally, JnJ has a level of trust with the American public that some of the other pharma companies don't have.
3. This is a ONE DOSE vaccine which will halve the time needed to study its efficacy and halve the amount of product needed to vaccinate people.

Maybe that level of trust is rather misplaced. I would not trust Johnson and Johnson over any other pharma company ... not after hiding the asbestos in the talc and having to pay out billions in settlement as a result....

"Separate investigations by Reuters and The New York Times in December 2018 revealed documents showing Johnson & Johnson fretted for decades that small amounts of asbestos lurked in its baby powder.

"From at least 1971 to the early 2000s, the company's raw talc and finished powders sometimes tested positive for small amounts of asbestos, and that company executives, mine managers, scientists, doctors and lawyers fretted over the problem and how to address it while failing to disclose it to regulators or the public," Reuters reported."

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/19/8591...ling-talc-based-baby-powder-in-u-s-and-canada

Maybe that level of trust is rather misplaced. I would not trust Johnson and Johnson over any other pharma company ... not after hiding the asbestos in the talc and having to pay out billions in settlement as a result....

"Separate investigations by Reuters and The New York Times in December 2018 revealed documents showing Johnson & Johnson fretted for decades that small amounts of asbestos lurked in its baby powder.

"From at least 1971 to the early 2000s, the company's raw talc and finished powders sometimes tested positive for small amounts of asbestos, and that company executives, mine managers, scientists, doctors and lawyers fretted over the problem and how to address it while failing to disclose it to regulators or the public," Reuters reported."

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/19/8591...ling-talc-based-baby-powder-in-u-s-and-canada

Sigh. Okay.

Sigh. Okay.
I don't put my blind trust in any for profit company. I will wait for the results and I will be happy to take a vaccine that shows a transparent record of development and has good efficacy. I will not rush out just to get the first one because they were first. I want the best or at the least one of the better ones of the bunch. This is not like a pair of shoes that I can return or stop using, or get another one that "fits' better.

True but they still overall have an immense level of a relationship with the public. Take a look at what products you buy, you'll probably find a lot of them are under the Johnson&Johnson brand. Part of having everyday products in our homes is a level of trust that may not exist with a company that is mostly seen as a pharmaceutical company whether that is actually right or wrong to have. I don't think it's blind trust but rather familiarity with Johnson&Johnson whereas some people are wary of other companies.

I don't put my blind trust in any for profit company. I will wait for the results and I will be happy to take a vaccine that shows a transparent record of development and has good efficacy. I will not rush out just to get the first one because they were first. I want the best or at the least one of the better ones of the bunch. This is not like a pair of shoes that I can return or stop using, or get another one that "fits' better.
I think we all want high efficacy rate but our wants aren't the only thing out there. Your approach, while probably possible under ideal conditions, may not be even possible. What I mean by that is having choice on the vaccines. A big part of why countries are trying pre-buy hedging their bets on this vaccine or that vaccine is so they can speed up the distribution process. With over 7 billion people on the planet you may not have the luxury of choice; a given country may only have the means (both in money and manpower) to have one vaccine. That of course is understandable one reason why people are concerned. You wouldn't want a vaccine shown to have less efficacy than another vaccine but that may just be the vaccine you get. It's the tricky spot people find themselves in trusting that they will get a vaccine that is seen to be a certain level of efficacy.

I believe another benefit, somebody correct me if I am wrong; is that this one also doesnt need to be kept ultra-cold in storage. I know one issue in distribution is having enought freezer occupancy in shipping and storage.

I believe another benefit, somebody correct me if I am wrong; is that this one also doesnt need to be kept ultra-cold in storage. I know one issue in distribution is having enought freezer occupancy in shipping and storage.

I will find out.

If this is true, if it is able to deliver all of the benefits in a single versus multiple doses, if it is effective, and if it is safe it will be wonderful news.

Once again I'm tempering expectations based simply on an announcement from a for profit company that has a need to answer the interests of Wall Street and investors as part of business operations.

True but they still overall have an immense level of a relationship with the public. Take a look at what products you buy, you'll probably find a lot of them are under the Johnson&Johnson brand. Part of having everyday products in our homes is a level of trust that may not exist with a company that is mostly seen as a pharmaceutical company whether that is actually right or wrong to have. I don't think it's blind trust but rather familiarity with Johnson&Johnson whereas some people are wary of other companies.

They used to hide their pharmaceuticals behind the McNeil name. I first heard about J&J selling pharmaceuticals around the time of the Tylenol murders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter