CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can't be indemnified against what it would do to their reputation.

But under the circumstances they will be given the benefit of the doubt. Clearly this is a major public health crisis with a lot at stake.

They have a financial motive to be out there first with the vaccine. They may very well have dedicated, talented, intelligent and hardworking people giving everything they have to come up with an answer. I doubt many people undertake that career without wanting to heal. They may very well have every reason to believe their vaccine will do a its job. At the end of the day they still have a financial motive to do what they can to be out there first with the vaccine. They have to be profitable for many reasons, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Bottom line is they're not the ultimate source I would look to (or any for profit entity or self serving entity for that matter) as to whether or not a specific vaccine will not cause harm while offering the protection it's supposed to provide.

Add-ZDoggMD has 2 fantastic interviews with Dr Offit on Youtube on April 5, and again July 31 about the vaccine. He explains very well the whole process. The good parts, the worrisome parts.

I got my flu shot last year on Aug 27. And this year Aug 28. :)
I picked up a prescription a few days ago, and the pharmacist -- a guy I've known and respected for years -- suggested that my family come in mid-September for the flu vaccine. He said that's a nice "halfway point" between giving the vaccine time to "start working" (that takes about two weeks) and the danger of it weakening by the end of flu season. I wrote it on my calendar and will follow his directions.
I’ll be first in line for the vaccine.
If you claim the #1 spot, I'll be glad to have #2.
I am a healthcare worker and also older than dirt so I qualify for a couple of reasons. As long as the data is overwhelmingly positive I will have no reservations about getting the vaccine.
My RN daughter, who is well-read on the subject, is in agreement with you. She's looking into whether she herself should get it right away (because she is pregnant), but she's rock-solid on the idea that the rest of us should get it as soon as it's available.
I'll be keeping a keen eye on medical journals, and will be interested to see what Dr. Fauci says.
I would also like to hear what he has to say.

The one thing that concerns me about the vaccine is the timing. Right at election time? Does this timing have a political motive? If so, it's wrong-wrong-wrong to use public health to get votes. Anyone reading Kingkiller Chronicles? Qvothe says, "Knackers profit from a plague." Seems to fit here.

Well because years after I started injecting myself with medication it was found to have some serious irreversible side effects. This was a medication that had been approved 12 years prior.
So I tend to go with the wait and see approach, and while I probably won't wait over a decade for a COVID vaccine I'm certainly not going to get it within months of it's approval.

You kind of proved my point- it took twelve years to find that out- should we wait twelve years here?

The one thing that concerns me about the vaccine is the timing. Right at election time? Does this timing have a political motive? If so, it's wrong-wrong-wrong to use public health to get votes. Anyone reading Kingkiller Chronicles? Qvothe says, "Knackers profit from a plague." Seems to fit here.

Totally reasonable to be concerned about a political motive- especially now. But I just don't see the pharma companies getting dragged into that.

what are your thoughts on the process? Do you have any idea if you got the vaccine or the placebo?

Great questions, thanks. Based on the process, I can tell you with certainty that they ARE getting the data very quickly. We have a daily e-journal to complete through a proprietary app and we've already gone in twice in the first month for follow up bloodwork and we will go back in October for more. So, in the span of two months, they will have data on 15,000 people for each study who received their vaccine candidate (not the placebo)- it really is moving this efficiently. I am in no way worried about the safety.

As far as who got what, in both cases, the first shot and the booster, my wife had some minor side effects (sore arm, chills, typical vaccine stuff) and I had none, so we suspect she got the real thing and I got the placebo.

They can't be indemnified against what it would do to their reputation.
The idea that companies won't do something because it would ruin their reputation is contrary to the facts of experience. Companies frequently have, can, and will knowingly do things to ruin their reputation. And often, they'll do it for sums of money that aren't all that much. Ford did it for what amounts to $11 a car in materials and labor back in the day. Adjusting for inflation, that would be $70 a car today. And to a large extent, they still haven't lived that down along with other things. And they weren't the only American car manufacturer to take such a hit either. One of the big 4 ended up out of business. The other three still haven't lived it down completely. Even in drugs, the list of things they've found is extensive. And that is going through the normal approval protocols rather than rushing them.

The idea that companies won't do something because it would ruin their reputation is contrary to the facts of experience. Companies frequently have, can, and will knowingly do things to ruin their reputation. And often, they'll do it for sums of money that aren't all that much. Ford did it for what amounts to $11 a car in materials and labor back in the day. Adjusting for inflation, that would be $70 a car today. And to a large extent, they still haven't lived that down along with other things. And they weren't the only American car manufacturer to take such a hit either. One of the big 4 ended up out of business. The other three still haven't lived it down completely. Even in drugs, the list of things they've found is extensive. And that is going through the normal approval protocols rather than rushing them.

Again: just because these studies are moving quickly does not mean they are being rushed. I can assure you first hand that the study I am in is being followed to the letter of the law. They are getting quicker results because of the extraordinary amount of time and money and personpower being pumped into them, not because they are "rushing".

As to the auto makers, the big four lost ground because they spent a couple decades making crappier cars than Japan, not because of something Ford did.

And yes- companies cause themselves reputational damage all the time. No argument whatsoever. But this is not what is happening here. Unlike Ford, multiple government bodies both here AND abroad have to sign off on these vaccines before they're approved. The pharma company doesn't just get to decide on their own.

Totally agree. EVERY SINGLE medicine/drug/vaccine/vitamin/supplement you take has a risk profile. Every one.

Life and health is about balancing the risk vs. benefit. All you need is for the benefit to outweigh the risk.

PERFECTLY said! If the vaccine is only say, 70% effective, but with low side effects? The benefit outweighs the risk. If it has some side effects, but does give you immunity from Covid? Benefit is worth the risk.

But people will very obviously use the above as their argument against taking it.

PERFECTLY said! If the vaccine is only say, 70% effective, but with low side effects? The benefit outweighs the risk. If it has some side effects, but does give you immunity from Covid? Benefit is worth the risk.

But people will very obviously use the above as their argument against taking it.

My whole thing is always "what is the worst that can happen?" In extreme cases, a vaccine might cause death. Well, we already KNOW that Covid causes death. Lots of it (compared to vaccine death numbers).

I'll take my chances with the vaccine. If the vaccine study enrolls 30,000 people and none die, that's good enough for me. In a random sampling of 30,000 people who contract Covid-19, around 1000 will die.

I think it's good to have a plan in place to provide large scale vaccinations. I think that late-October is an extremely optimistic timeline to have a safe vaccine. My local university was chosen to take part in the stage 3 trials. I am very pro vaccine but I did NOT sign up! I will wait a while and see how things shake out both here in the US and internationally.

The idea that companies won't do something because it would ruin their reputation is contrary to the facts of experience. Companies frequently have, can, and will knowingly do things to ruin their reputation. And often, they'll do it for sums of money that aren't all that much. Ford did it for what amounts to $11 a car in materials and labor back in the day. Adjusting for inflation, that would be $70 a car today. And to a large extent, they still haven't lived that down along with other things. And they weren't the only American car manufacturer to take such a hit either. One of the big 4 ended up out of business. The other three still haven't lived it down completely. ...

I would advise against getting a COVID-19 vaccine produced by ANY auto manufacturer, but I am unaware of any automakers involved in COVID vaccine research at this time. Thanks for the reminder.

Honestly, if they even have a remote possibility of being ready, they have to have a distribution network ready to go. That's the whole point of Operation Warp Speed, to be ready to distribute the moment they have a vaccine ready to go.

It is also of note that we aren't the only country doing trials on some of these vaccine candidates.

Can you quote where he said it wouldn't be safe if it was out early?
The full interview has not aired yet - it will be aired just after 4:00 pm today. The tweets are just the reporter's write up of what he told her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter