Celebrating Everything! June 2010 Trip to AKL- CL!!

Kara

Mouseketeer
Bear with me, this is my first PTR. I need a place to dream, debate, and make all of our decisions!!

A little background:

My name is Kara, 34, mom and PT employee for our family business. I am a night owl or insomniac LOL. I am usually on here or Facebook. I also LOVE to read. I got a Kindle for Christmas and LOVE LOVE it. I have an obsession with the DIS, Vera Bradley, Coach, and webkinz lol:)

Married to Jason, 37, for 15 years this December. He is a mechanical engineer for family business. I made him a Disney fan even though he loves his beach vacations of doing nothing too:)

We have two sons. Josh is 11 and in 6th grade. He is a great student and loves sports. He plays basketball, football, and baseball. Last fall he had a growth spurt and is now taller than me and wears a bigger shoe size than his Dad..Thankfully still a kid at heart. He has been to Disney about 4 times in his life. He’s getting to “that age” but had a good time last year when we went for a quick trip. He isn’t into the character meetings anymore but loves Epcot. He's my sensitive one and very hard on himself but very sweet.

Austin,aka Bubba, is 8 and very ornery. He is in 2nd grade. He is very easy going and loves to be outside. He just informed me his favorite character is now Pluto which is news to me LOL! He has been to Disney 4 times as well.

The quick details:

June 29-July 6
AKL- CL

How this came to be...

Originally we were going to our inlaws home in Vero for Spring Break..then SIL/BIL were going..so I said I'll give up SB and go to Disney:)

I am the nut..I'd go with the kids, I want to go without the kids some day, I want to take my neice and friends someday, I'd love to take each boy separate someday....

DH at first was NOT a huge fan but he thought our trip to Poly was "THE BIG TRIP" that would probably shut me up LOL....little did he know he would like it and want to go back as well!!! Theres always the question of money....but for the POLY I planned it so that our trip was basically paid way before we left...that was a HUGE help!!!

THENNNN I got a pin code in the mail...but of course our Spring Break dates were blacked out! But it put me on the hunt for another code, public or through email. Ya learn so much through the DIS!!!! Because a pin code definitely meant DELUXE AGAIN TO ME!!!

I wasn’t sure if the kids were “getting to that age”…so I hesitantly asked them what they would want to do for Spring Break or summer vacation this year..

I swearrrrrrr I didn’t sway them either way:;)

First it was split, one said Ocean, one said Disney…so we looked at pictures of some resorts/pools, Typhoon Lagoon (never been there), our pics of past trips, etc. Waited a bit and asked again and both said DISNEY!!!!!! When I found out the public code had been extended we decided to go ahead and book it!!!!

We did a weeklong trip to the Poly in November of 08 and then a short stay at CBR last April. I had always wanted to stay at the Poly and we've done that. I honestly wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.

CBR was great for a quick 2 night stay..We love that type of theme. This time I (we) LOL wanted to try something different. I thought the kids might enjoy the AKL so I asked DH, he had heard good things from BIL (even though they didn't stay there, helps to have backup) and I showed the kids saying how someday we might be able to go there, and they were both very excited. It's kind of out of my comfort zone but even I can admit it looks very cool!!

So two weeks ago I got on the phone and booked AKL Standard Room Club Level (it was so cheap to go CL we are going to try it!!!) with Magic Your Way Plus Dining. We will be going June 29-July 6th. I know it will be hot, but hopefully we’ll be able to idolize the pool and do Typhoon Lagoon this trip also.

Next how to figure out how to link my report in my siggie:)LOL!

I wanted to add our past Disney trips..I was in Disney as a baby...and then didnt go again until I was a Junior in High School. I was very close to a family that I babysat for and they invited me to go on a trip with them:) THen I went again with the Band and got to march in the Magic Kingdom!

The next time I went was on our honeymoon..We got married in Dec. of 1995. So this year will mark 15 years...so when I booked our trip, when she asked if there was anything this year we were celebrating I added our anniversary! DH gets golf, I get Disney! LOL! My BIL/SIL got married the same year so they went as well, as did MIL/FIL..yeah, we won't get into that crazy idea LOL. We left snowy Ohio as a major snowstorm was coming and was very treacherous the first few hours driving. We stayed at the Vero Beach resort...and went to Disney a few days and was there on Christmas Day (where I cried to my mom on the phone LOL cause I've never been away from home at Christmas!). It was cold that year...we were dressed in fleece and gloves and coats LOL. I'll have to dig out some pictures!

In 1998 we stayed at Hilton Head Disney for the first time..with my inlaws again. We had a 4 month old at the time, so things were interesting LOL. But we do love HHI.

Around this time, my inlaws bought a second home in Vero!!! So yeah!! close to DISNEY!!!

It was a few years before we went again, and then it was a very quick day trip...around a hurricane so we left early to come home.

We stopped on our way home from VERO last spring break...for two nights..and stayed at CBR pirate room. Kids loved the pool. Austin even helped a "friend" that he met there that needed stitches and got a certificate and a sword and patch from the lifeguards!!

We've stayed at HHI at least twice since that first time...just recently last summer....the kids LOVE it there.....we've been trying to get inlaws to get a house there instead of VERO lol. Its an easier drive for us too lol.

I wanted to make a list of some things I (we ) haven’t gotten to do the last 2 times we have been to Disney....

1. Fantasmic
2. Illuminations
3. Toy Story Mania
4. Kim Possible
5. DH wants to eat at Le Cellier
6. Typhoon Lagoon (kids)
7. Nemo Show
8. Eat at some new places

Sometimes with boys, you don't do certain things..I would love to see the Little Mermaid show and Beauty and the Beast but not sure I can convince them and its no fun to go alone so I may have to save that for a sometime girl trip LOL.

The celebration part...is covering alot of bases. Both boys birthdays, our 15th anniversary, my sanity...LOL....

I'm very grateful and blessed but the last year has been up and down with medical stuff. I have a degenerative disc and it was recommended I have a spinal fusion...During this, my mom found out she has a blood disorder and I got tested and found out I have another blood disorder. I have a mild case of Von Willebrands Disease. While not a huge deal, it does mean switching doctors and being premedicated usually with an IV of the meds before any procedure, surgery, or even a tooth pulled. This screwed up surgery..the hosp couldn't deal with the blood disorder and my hematologist did not thrill me....I've done PT, injections last year, injections this year, etc. So 2010 was a brand new start...I started with new doctors, I started excercising, and I hope to kind of celebrate a new me at Disney...a smaller me and a more confident me too:) I have 2 great friends that go and one that will MAKE me even on days I want to give up so that helps alot...Thats one of the reason I was dreaming of another Disney trip:) I'm getting a second opinion but thinking right now I will hold off on surgery and see what else I can do first:)

As I see my sons second grade 28 year old teacher struggle with cancer for the SECOND time in her young life, I am thankful I have what I have in my life.

FOOD!!!!

Since we just booked, we were way past our window to book ADR's but I didn't want to rush....so I booked Fantasmic myself that night so we had it because i knew I really wanted to do that. Being CL, I was nervous to find out they had a planning office I could use but it has been GREAT!! I made first contact and all have been very prompt in getting back with me and I've gotten everything I've asked for so far!!!!! I'm not going to lie and say its set in stone but at least its a start right:confused3?

6/29
We arrive in Orlando early afternoon and we are trying Magical Express this time. Last time we had a car, the time before we had a car pick us up..so hopefully it’s a good experience for us!!

We have a 6pm ADR for Jiko..I wanted to try one of the resort restaurants but wasnt sure which. DH is NOT a big veggie/adventurous guy...but I showed him the menu for both here and Boma and he suggested Jiko so here we are:) may not do a park on arrival day. Thinking kids may enjoy pool time and exploring.

6/30
Our favorite park..EPCOT…and dh requested Le Cellier this time so we have a lunch ADR there at 1pm.

7/1
TRex- Thought the kids would enjoy this…then we have tickets for the Cirque show at 6pm. My sil/bil and kids went in November and loved it so we thought we would give it a try.

7/2
6:05 The Wave – I had wanted to try this last trip and we cancelled it so unless someone adds another request, we’re going to try it this time.

7/3
6:00 Tutto Italia – We ate here in April and it was TO DIE FOR so of course we are going back!!!!!

7/4
One of the top things on my list was Fantasmic so I decided to book the dinner package and we are doing Mama Melrose…I know, two Italian restaurants back to back but our kids love it and its Disney so who cares!! LOL!!

7/5
No ADR yet!! UH OH!! Maybe a character meal?? The boys are too old probably…so what could we do instead???

7/6
Have to check flight times...but I think we leave afternoon so could do a breakfast here maybe????

HELP! LOL! One kid is into characters, other isnt, but he would do it for his brother...Chef Mickeys was nice 2 years ago but havent heard great things since...Ohanas was awesome so maybe that. I'd like to do Crystal Palace cause I have always loved Pooh and Friends...thats what Josh's nursery was in too!!

forgot to mention...the kids still don't know!!! I'm trying to decide between a countdown and a surprise....

Possible Park Plans:

Arrival Day: we get in at 1:15pm..not sure how long the ME and all that will take as we've never done that before. We have a 6pm ADR for Jiko if we decide not to go to a park.

6/30 - Epcot
Le Cellier 1pm so we may go early and then go back for a swim after lunch then go back in the evening. DH and the kids love Epcot.

7/1 - Not sure about this day. was thinking Animal Kingdom...But we need to be back and changed to be at DD for ADR at TRex at 330 and then we are going to Cirque Du Soleil at 6pm.

7/2- ? During Day
6:05 ADR at the Wave
MK is open late this night so we plan to go there in the evening

7/3- Epcot again

7/4- DHS and Fantasmic!!!

7/5- Maybe Typhoon Lagoon Day if we dont do it another day..

Gosh I still have alot of planning!! HELP!!!

How long do people usually spend at a waterpark??
Is that too much to pack into the day we go to TRex and Cirque??

I'm also thinking of adding Animation Studio and Pick a Pearl to my list of things to do:) I would do the pearl for myself, my neice, and my friends daughter..and the boys may think the animation is neat!!

LOL Nettie!

I found a cute Mickey shirt at Gap the other day so I picked it up!!!

ohh I bet it was cute!!I have not seen any cute Mickey shirts in my size..i may have to make some

I'm in! You leave AKL CL the day we arrive there. We will be at the Poly CL the first four days and then heading over to AKL. This will be our first time staying CL so I am excited about that.

It looks like we will both be in DHS on the 4th of July. We are eating dinner at Prime Time which is first for us.

We are doing Typhoon Lagoon on 7/3 and then Blizzard Beach later on in the week. It looks like a lot of fun.

We have a lot in common, although it may not be a good thing. I have a degenerative disc in my back as well. Found out in December of this year. I went through months of test, steroids and pain pills to finally figure it out. My doctor thinks it happened in May when I was in a car wreck. I have had two injections so far and they seem to be helping. I am hoping that my walking will be better this trip versus our trip last September. I too am trying to get smaller for Disney. I think it would help the back plus my overall well-being. The last thing we have in common, is our home state. I live in southern Ohio although I am a Kentucky native.

popcorn::Look forward to the next update!

Erika

Hi Erika!! Welcome!!
THat is alot in common! Small world isnt it???!!
I'm glad the shots seem to be working for you!! that is a blessing:)
So far working out hasn't helped my back but I figure it can't hurt. I could lose about 50lbs:) I too, hope walking and everything about disney will be more fun this year if I keep it up.

I tried to make a payment last night on our trip but I'm not sure I did lol. May have to call tomorrow. I still dont have an ADR for our last day....nor do I thing our itinerary is that good either. But at least I have some ADRs I guess lol. I have been so busy with other things, I have been slacking on planning!! I do love reading trip reports and love getting ideas from others.
The kids still don't know. I'm thinking of doing a countdown for them. It will be a nice reward for making it through baseball season:):rotfl2:

Any ideas for our last day let me know!
I was thinking a character meal or ????

k...its been a long week but I am back and I need to get back to this trip planning and report!!

I still have anything for our last day!! and I'm not 100% sure on the other park planned days LOL.

I am jumping on board as well! Have you thought about doing Boma for breakfast the last day you are there? I really enjoyed their breakfast and since you are staying there you wouldn't have to leave the resort. ANother option for breakfast would be Kona Cafe.

Your plans look good other wise. I love AKL and have stayed there twice. There is so much to do at the resort. You can even do a Culinary Tour at AKL before you have dinner at Jiko. With the culinary tour they bring you to Jiko and Boma and explain the food and design of the restaurant. Looking forward to seeing more of your plans.

I am jumping on board as well! Have you thought about doing Boma for breakfast the last day you are there? I really enjoyed their breakfast and since you are staying there you wouldn't have to leave the resort. ANother option for breakfast would be Kona Cafe.

Your plans look good other wise. I love AKL and have stayed there twice. There is so much to do at the resort. You can even do a Culinary Tour at AKL before you have dinner at Jiko. With the culinary tour they bring you to Jiko and Boma and explain the food and design of the restaurant. Looking forward to seeing more of your plans.

Thanks for the tips!!! I really need to get back to working on planning. Baseball season is starting and it seems like my only Disney time is late at night LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter