• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

cell phones

kdandrews

Earning My Ears
:Pinkbounc

We are first time cruisers going on the Disney Magic leaving October 11. We have United States Cellular and were curious if anyone has been on this particular cruise could tell us if we will have cellular service on this ship? It would be really helpful to us. Thanks!

I have verizon and I got service in St Thomas, although it did cost more. That was it. Not sure about the Western itenerary or other services.:confused:

Unless you have an international phone, only Key West will work on the Western Itinerary, including not working on Castaway Cay.

If you have a GSM phone then you might be able to get a connection on the islands. You need to know if you have International roaming and the right frequency. Most of the islands are operating on the 850 and 900 MHz bands.

Oh No! I thought for sure our cell phones would work on the islands. I guess I'll leave mine in the car once we get to Florida. Not that I need it; I just thought it would be handy to have in case my neighbors need to get ahold of me for an emergency.

BTW, we're going on the Magic too on October 11! Can't wait!:bounce: :Pinkbounc

I was able to use our Sprint cell phone on the Western. They worked beautifully in Grand Cayman and of course Key West.. I didn't try them in Cozumel, so I have no idea how they would work there.
Carolyn

We have only been to the Bahamas twice but can usually use our Nextel's until late that first evening. We take ours because we can still get calls until we get too far out. Also, I assume once you get a little close to the US again on the way back, they would work. Havent' gotten to try them in Cozumel or Grand Caymans yet, will do that in November.

we had service in Key West only too. We set up a Yahoo e-mail account and gave the address to my mom. We were moving the next week and had an ill MIL to contend with as well. She was able to e-mail us with any emergencies (luckily we had none). I think my internet bill for the week was about $8 just checking e-mail every other day or so.

I couldn't get our Sprint cell phone to work in the Bahamas on our last cruise. Has anyone had any luck there? I figured that would have been easier than Grand Cayman, go figure!

Hi,

I just returned from the Western Cruise today and did have Verizon service in KYW, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Castaway Cay.

Although in Cozumel I had trouble connecting. I only received messages in KYW and Grand Cayman and then when I returned, but I had outgoing service.

No service after about 20 miles off shore.

hope this helps

What did we do before cell phones? I do not plan to take mine with me on our cruise. I do not want anyone to call me. If a real, big emergency happens the ship can be called. Don't bother me when I am cruising!:rolleyes:

What did we do before cell phones? I do not plan to take mine with me on our cruise. I do not want anyone to call me. If a real, big emergency happens the ship can be called. Don't bother me when I am cruising
My sentiments exactly.
Russ:jester:

While I agree I don't want anyone from home to contact me, I do like everyone in our group to have their phones on, that way if one gets separated or goes off on his/her own, they can be reached easily.

We were just in San Francisco, and DD (15) could go off on her own (slightly) and we could be in contact with her.

DW is a prolific shopper, If I could go my way as she goes hers, the phones are a good way to stay in touch.

We use spring, So if I hear right they will work in key west, GC, but have heard not in CC, and no word on cozumel, right?

Jim

Does it cost more when you use your cell to call from Cozumel and Grand Cayman?
Thanks for responding.

I agree with some of the above sentiments. I make sure people at home have the emergency number to call us on the ship and as soon as I board the cellphone gets turned off and left in a drawer for the entire cruise. When it's been more than the two of us we bring frs radios to keep in contact when we're going different directions.

We had some guy sitting next to us yapping on his cellphone with one of those stupid handsfree things on CC, don't they know how dumb they look talking to thin air? Especially with the too-loud cellphone voice. The purpose of a vacation is to leave the home stuff behind AT HOME. If you can't do that, maybe you need to look at how you take vacations a bit more.

Hi all...

the question wasn't should you use a cell phone on the cruise, but can you...and if you want to, you can, at least that was my experience.

As for cost, I will assume it would cost more.

thanks

I have Verizon and my phone only worked when in port, at all the islands.

As far as keeping in touch with other people in your sailing party, two-way radios are much more effective.

Ursula

Does it cost more to use the Verizon cell phone in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay?:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter