Earning My Ears
People with cerable-palsy shouldn't be treated differently
why do people say 'spastic'?
they most proberly dont know what is means
WELL!
i am one of those people who have that kind of problem
so dont be nasty!
and be nice!

I'm not sure what you are referring to...did someone offend you in a post on these boards? I don't ever recall someone with cerebral palsy being referred to as "spastic" although people can use that word to describe someone's muscle tone which is appropriate. ----Kathy

I'm not sure what you are trying to say.
Some people with cerebral palsy have spasticity (tight or stiff muscles).
Because Cerebrsal Palsy with spasticity is a pretty common type, in some countries, people with spasticity were called "Spastics" and the places to help them were called "Spastic Centers" or "Spastic Societies". In the US, that would not be considered OK any more, but I think it's still considered acceptable in places like Australia, Canada, the UK. In the US, it's considered impolite to call people by their condition (for example, "people with cerebral palsy" is considered OK, "cerebral palsied" is usually not. "Children with autism" is considered OK, "Autistics" is usually not).

The bad part (that I think you are talking about) is that some people took that medical word and use it to be an insult. That is not OK.

Just to add that in the UK the charity that supports people with Cerebral Palsy was renamed SCOPE , instead of the Spastics Society some years ago. "Spastic" as a word used to describe someone with CP has not been acceptable here for many years

leise said:
Just to add that in the UK the charity that supports people with Cerebral Palsy was renamed SCOPE , instead of the Spastics Society some years ago. "Spastic" as a word used to describe someone with CP has not been acceptable here for many years
Thanks for that information. When I did an internet search, some places were still listed using "Spastic" in their title, so I made an assumption that it was still OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter