• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

chair vs cane- opinions needed

trillian

Earning My Ears
I have severe arthritis in my ankles, knees, and hips due to late stage Lyme disease. (In addition to a host of other symptoms.) Of course, this makes walking a bit difficult.

Of course, I'm also in my late 20's and "look perfectly healthy."

Usually, I walk with a cane, but I do have a manual wheelchair for really bad days.

I think we could write a book on the psychology of how people react to people in a chair as opposed to people using a cane. I've seen so much discussion in this area on the cloak of invisibility that being in a chair seems to give you- how people see you as a great person to stand in front of for shows, walk right in fron of you, and even back into your lap.

On the other hand, I've found that when using a cane, people in general tend to give you a bit more space, hold doors open for you, and generally be more considerate. I really have no theory as to the cause for this- if I'm in my chair, that's when I really need somebody to grab the door. However, anytime consideration and politeness is shown, it's certainly appreciated.

I'm leaving for Disney World tomorrow, I'll have my chair along if needed, but I'm hoping to manage with my cane.

This is, of course, assuming that Hurricane Wilma doesn't blow us all away.

My questions is, in your experience, do CM give the same consideration to cane-walkers as they do to wheelchair-bound? I know most lines are mainstreamed, but in cases where they aren't, such as when there are stairs, wil they let us use the handicapped entrance?
What about the shows- I can't manage steps, if we contact a CM will they help with special seating?

(Wondering the same things about Universal, BTW.)

Thanks for any help!

Inability to climb stairs is not always a "visible" disability. Get a Guest Assistance Card, it will be marked with special instructions for CM's to take care of this situation.

If you have a cane draped over your wheelchair, people will not accuse you of trying to use a wheelchair to bypass waiting lines (CM's are not supposed to let you) but still there are lots of prejudiced people who discriminate against people in wheelchairs anywhere, anytime.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter