Changing hotels at 7 months

Nikkimouse44

Mouseketeer
Sorry so many questions!

If we call MS at 7 months, can we ask if they have 3 studios at OKW and can they “hold” those studios for us when they transition our SSR studios to OKW?

I think the answer is no, I just don’t want to get the 3 rooms split us or be left without rooms

I hope this makes sense

I think you mean you have reserved SSR, 3 studios, and intend to change to OKW at 7-months out. MS will modify each reservation one at a time, and thus, likely, they will not be holding rooms for ones not yet modified until you complete the change for one. You could ask to see if they will do that, although I cannot recall anyone before reporting that was allowed. In any event, when you do call, you can ask about OKW overall availability for studios to see if it will even be possible to switch all three.

One thing you should also check just before trying to make the switch is availability at SSR to see if you have a chance of going back to it if you do not get all three rooms changed.

Note that a key issue may be time of the reservation. If you are referring to time in November, December, or early Jan (through the marathon weekend) chances of making the switch will be lower than if you mean time after marathon weekend in Jan

I think you mean you have reserved SSR, 3 studios, and intend to change to OKW at 7-months out. MS will modify each reservation one at a time, and thus, likely, they will not be holding rooms for ones not yet modified until you complete the change for one. You could ask to see if they will do that, although I cannot recall anyone before reporting that was allowed. In any event, when you do call, you can ask about OKW overall availability for studios to see if it will even be possible to switch all three.

One thing you should also check just before trying to make the switch is availability at SSR to see if you have a chance of going back to it if you do not get all three rooms changed.

Note that a key issue may be time of the reservation. If you are referring to time in November, December, or early Jan (through the marathon weekend) chances of making the switch will be lower than if you mean time after marathon weekend in Jan
Thanks! It’s Dec 8-14 so a semi busy time. I think for the sake of my anxiety we will stay put.

We have another trip in April so it would be nice to save points, but unless there are a lot of rooms at OKW, then I would be too scared. And right now, the full week is not completely open so I’d be too worried.

Thanks! It’s Dec 8-14 so a semi busy time. I think for the sake of my anxiety we will stay put.

We have another trip in April so it would be nice to save points, but unless there are a lot of rooms at OKW, then I would be too scared. And right now, the full week is not completely open so I’d be too worried.
Actually, the second week of Dec is not a "semi" busy time. It is the third highest DVC demand week of the year at WDW (highest is the first week of Dec, second highest is Christmas week).

April, other than Easter weeks, is one of the lowest DVC demand times of the year, and even Easter weeks come nowhere near the demand for those Dec weeks, and studios at both SSR and OKW are usually readily available at 7-months out in April.

Actually, the second week of Dec is not a "semi" busy time. It is the third highest DVC demand week of the year at WDW (highest is the first week of Dec, second highest is Christmas week).

April, other than Easter weeks, is one of the lowest DVC demand times of the year, and even Easter weeks come nowhere near the demand for those Dec weeks, and studios at both SSR and OKW are usually readily available at 7-months out in April.
Ahh okay so I’m going at one of the busiest times. Is that for DVC or in general? I figured pulling the kids out of school I’d be a bit safer lol

And in April we’re going Easter week and we know to expect massive crowds and we’re fine with that, we’re a large group of 17 that trip and it’s the only time all our school breaks match across two states so it is what it is (we go often so I’m not worried if we can’t do everything that trip)

Ahh okay so I’m going at one of the busiest times. Is that for DVC or in general? I figured pulling the kids out of school I’d be a bit safer lol

And in April we’re going Easter week and we know to expect massive crowds and we’re fine with that, we’re a large group of 17 that trip and it’s the only time all our school breaks match across two states so it is what it is (we go often so I’m not worried if we can’t do everything that trip)
We’ve gone the first 2 weeks of Dec. a lot & it used to be hard to get w/ DVC (low points, holiday visit) but relatively quiet at the parks, but that’s not been the case in more recent years & the parks have been increasingly busy IME, maybe partly because park hours are pretty severely curtailed, especially the MK because they close the park at 6 pm every other day due to the ticketed Christmas parties.

DVC high demand times do not generally correlate with Disney hotel high demand times, although Christmas is a high one for both. Easter weeks in April are a very high Disney hotel demand time but more or less average for DVC and non-Easter weeks in April are among the lowest DVC demand times of the year at WDW; the reason: April is one of the highest point requirement months and for DVC large differences in demand during the year correlate with the differences in points needed per night in different seasons.

Those December times have been prohibitive DVC demand times of the year at WDW for a long time. To give an example of differences, here is list of some of the rooms that booked full for at least part of the time in first week of Dec 2024 during the morning of Jan 1 (I checked about noon), 11-months out from Dec 1, and availability on Jan 1 for the same resorts at 7-months out for time in first week of Aug:

BWV: Dec: all rooms filled except boardwalk view 1BRs and pool/garden view 1BRs. For Aug: all pool/garden view rooms open, likewise standard and boardwalk view 1BRs.

VGF: Dec: all rooms filled. For Aug all rooms open except standard view Deluxe studios and lock-off 2BRs.

CCV: Dec: all studios and 2BRs filled. For Aug: everything open.

Riviera: Dec: tower studios and standard view studios and lock-off 2BRs filled. For Aug: only tower studios are filled.

AKV Jambo: Dec: value and club level, all rooms filled, standard studios and 2BRs also filled. Aug: all open except value and club level studios and 2BRs.

BRV: Dec: studios and lockoff 2BRs filled: Aug: everything open.

Last edited:
If you have enough points, your points wouldn’t go into holding, and you could still use the points later (maybe for your big April trip?) or bank them, you could simply book 3 OKW studios at the 7 month mark and then drop the SSR ones you have. Not a solution that works for everyone but putting it out there in case the math works for you.

If you have enough points, your points wouldn’t go into holding, and you could still use the points later (maybe for your big April trip?) or bank them, you could simply book 3 OKW studios at the 7 month mark and then drop the SSR ones you have. Not a solution that works for everyone but putting it out there in case the math works for you.
Unfortunately I don’t have enough points to also book OKW at 7 months and then cancel SSR without having to borrow 2025 points. And I don’t want to borrow 2025 points because I won’t need all of the points once I cancel SSR.

Unfortunately I don’t have enough points to also book OKW at 7 months and then cancel SSR without having to borrow 2025 points. And I don’t want to borrow 2025 points because I won’t need all of the points once I cancel SSR.
Yeah don’t borrow points. It was a niche case suggestion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter